1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 5:14 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade

Asteroida

I have an Intel NUC6i5SYK 16 GB RAM with Samsung SSD 850 drive 250 GB. Windows 10 was installed on it. Since the last upgrade it cannot boot windows. If I go into BIOS setup File explorer, I can see the files on SSD.  How could I save the files from SSD without Windows 10 booting ?

• 1. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade
          Asteroida

I have upgraded to the latest BIOS SYSKLi35.86A.0051.2016.08.04.1114 which is working well.

• 2. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade
            K24A3

Windows is booting fine now after the BIOS update?

If no:

1. You could try a system restore or do a Windows Refresh https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

2. you can connect the SSD to a USB Adapter to copy your files to another PC then reload Windows. USB Adapters for various types of SSD's (M.2 / mSATA / 2.5") can be bought cheap from PC shops and ebay.

• 3. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade
              Asteroida

No Windows does not boot at all. I can just use the BIOS setup where I can see teh devices and via the File Explorer the data files on SSD.

I will look for SSD - USB adapter. Thanks for your suggestion.

• 4. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade
                lw1948

Hi Asteroida

Windows is not booting? Do you see some thing on the display? Any video?

Do you have an USB stick with updated Windows installation? If not you can use other computer to download Media Creation Tool and prepare such USB:

Windows 10

Then you can, reboot from this USB and repair your Windows.

• 5. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade
                  K24A3

As lw1948 mentioned you can try repairing Windows via Win10 USB media or try getting to the Troubleshooting menu to do a Windows Refresh (keep user files but reinstall Windows), or a system restore (revert back to a previous state).

If you can tell us exactly what happens when it boots up (error messages, BSOD code, etc..), we may be able to resurrect Windows without having to but the adaptor.

If you have no choice but to get an adaptor, then I assume you have an M.2 SSD (specs for NUC6i5SYK only specify M.2). So make sure you buy an "M.2 to USB adaptor". An mSATA or 2.5" Adaptor wont be compatible.

• 6. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade
                    N.Scott.Pearson

Don't do any of this yet. You haven't even figured out if it is necessary (but thanks to all for the suggestions).

First, does the BIOS splash screen ("Intel NUC" in big letters) appear when you power on or reset?

If the splash screen doesn't appear, then you need to investigate what has happened to the BIOS configuration. I suggest that you try the following:

1. Reset CMOS. Instructions here: Intel NUC Clearing CMOS.
                    2. Update the BIOS to the latest available version using the Recovery method. Instructions here: Intel NUC BIOS Recovery Update Instructions.
                    3. Once you have the BIOS updated this way, enter BIOS setup using the F2 key and then use the F9 key to reset the BIOS configuration. Then, manually change only those parameters (boot order, etc.) necessary for your hardware configuration. Exit from BIOS Setup with a save.

Once you have the splash screen appearing, hit the F10 key. This displays a list of the devices you can boot from. If there is an entry for you Windows system disk, select it and press <enter>. If it boots ok, then you need to go back into BIOS Setup and fix the boot order to have this drive at the top of the list.

If it doesn't boot, you next need to look into what has happened to the Windows configuration. At this point, you can look at the suggestions provided above...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 7. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade
                      Asteroida

thanks for your answers K24A3, lw1948, Scott ! 

Yes I have the latest BIOS updated yesterday: BIOS SYSKLi35.86A.0051.2016.08.04.1114.  Unfortunatly the Windows 10 still does not boot.

I can see the Intel NUC logo, and after the light - blue windows screen, twice the rolling wheel appears and after goes back to the 1st boot screen when I can see again Intel NUC logo.

The BIOS is working well.  I can go to setup menu via F2, and even tried to go to recovery from an external USB drive.  In the Advanced option tried to  repair the boot drive- could not be done.

Tried to go back to last known good partition- could not possible.  at command prompt I could not change to C:drive. I have X: drive - booted from USB recovery, can see the different partitions, volumes in MS - Diskpart, but for some reason cannot see the drive contains Windows from command prompt.

Any other suggestion ?

• 8. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade
                        lw1948

Try to boot your NUC into SAFE mode.  When booting from USB, you should choose Troubleshoot – Advanced options – Startup setting. Choose Safe mode (option 4). Your NUC will reboot into safe mode. This operation can fix already the existing problem. So reboot the NUC into normal mode: right click the Windows logo, click Run, enter msconfig command. In msconfig command boot menu, check that Safe mode is unselected. Reboot NUC. If OK, you are set, but if problem still exists, reboot again into Safe mode, open Computer Management (again right click on Windows logo). In Computer Management, click on Services, and disable Windows Update. Reboot into normal mode.

• 9. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade
                          Intel Corporation
                          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Asteroida,

By any chance did you already reset BIOS settings? I mean getting into the BIOS and press F9.

Regards,
                          Mike C

• 10. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade
                            Asteroida

Hi Mike,

Yes i have reset the BIOS via F9, but no change in windows 10 booting, still appears the window and twice the spinning dots, after start again intel booting. So it goes into this cycle and not booting.

Thanks,

Michael

• 11. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade
                              lw1948

Hello

Did you try to boot into safe mode?

• 12. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade
                                Intel Corporation
                                This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Asteroida,

The system stopped booting after BIOS update; I suggest you get into BIOS and change the chipset SATA mode to RAID, maybe it was not using BIOS default settings.

Then, it is a good idea to repair the OS with the USB bootable drive; plug the drive, turn the system on and keep pressing F10, select the UEFI - USB bootloader, in the next window select repair instead of install.

Mike C

• 13. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade
                                  Asteroida

Hi Mike,

I tried the Startup repair from USB recovery drive.

"STARTUP REPAIR COULDN'T REPAIR YOUR PC

Press "Advanced options" to try to repair your pc or "Shut down" to turn off your pc.

Log file:     

"

So this was not fixing my boot problem

Thanks.

Mihaly

• 14. Re: Intel NUC6i5SYK does not boot after upgrade
                                    hegenious

maybe your NUC fell victim of the WHEA Uncorrectable Error bugcheck? And maybe just a coincidence that this happened after Windows 10 aniversary update?

I am thinking this because you get to the INTEL NUC splashscreen, your bios works fine, but Windows shows a light blue flag and a spinning wheel for a few seconds and then resets? No Blue Screen of DEATH??!!

1 2 Previous Next