Here’s the issue, to recap: After the system has been on for some time, the scanner will quit working showing USB error code 10 device cannot start . The functionality of the scanner is completely lost and the user cannot get it to work unless:
A. They reboot, which is a temporary fix. This issue recurs. or
B. They unplug the USB connector and plug it back in again, forcing the machine to re-recognize the device.
Since the failure is intermittent, the issue has been slow to troubleshoot.
Here are the steps I’ve already taken. Please let me know what additional steps you can recommend.
2. Uninstalled and delete driver and all other instances of device (including unplugged instances)
a. using command “set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1” at cmd prompt and
b. selecting “view | show hidden devices” in device manager and then
c. deleting all instances of the device including those that are greyed out
3. Reinstalled driver using fujitsu’s latest available driver.
4. Tested, failed
5. Switched out the scanner and usb cable with known good scanner and USB cable and did step 2
6. Tested, failed
7. Saw the failure in action, tried all the recommended troubleshooting in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/943104
a. Tried the usb troubleshooter http://aka.ms/EasyFix_WinUSB at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17614/automatically-diagnose-and-fix-windows-usb-problems by clicking the download link there.
b. Noticed the following message with the troubleshooter, thought it was suspicious, but initially dismissed it:
8. Figured I’d better make sure I had the latest drivers for the pc. Went to http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=drivers and used system detect to determine what USB chipset drivers I ought to be using. Installed them, rebooted.
9. Tested, failed. USB troubleshooter gave error message seen above.
10. Did some research online checking numerous forums and finding no one else that had this issue. I found numerous accounts of people that didn’t understand how to install a scanner, some fujitsu users that couldn’t get the thing to be detected at all, but nobody with this specific issue.
11. Reimaged the computer, installed latest drivers for the scanner, installed latest chipset drivers for the USB extensible host controller, updated firmware, rebooted.
12. Tried usb troubleshooter out of curiosity, got the above screen.
13. Tested, failed.
14. Figured maybe the device doesn’t work right on usb3.0 ports tried various ports
15. Tested, failed. USB troubleshooter gave error message seen above..
16. Replaced the 7040, reimaged the replacement, installed latest drivers for the scanner, installed latest chipset drivers for the USB extensible host controller, updated firmware, rebooted, tried usb troubleshooter out of curiosity, got the same error message (see above image).
17. Tested scanner again, failed. USB troubleshooter gave error message seen above..
18. Talked to first tier dell support, explained all the troubleshooting I did, and went through the troubleshooting that he recommended.
19. Tested, failed. USB troubleshooter gave error message seen above..
20. Talked to Earl and gave him a summary of all this. He referred me to you.
21. Tried the dell command update.
22. Tested and failed. USB troubleshooter gave error message seen above..
23. Picked another 7040 out of inventory. reimaged the replacement used dell command update, updated firmware, rebooted, tried usb troubleshooter out of curiosity, got the same error message (see above images).
I’ve been able to reproduce the scanner error on 3 different 7040s and one optiplex 9020 and have not seen the error elsewhere on machines with the same windows image, and different model numbers. We have at least 150 of these scanners in use, and have so far only seen this issue in 7040s, but we don’t have many 7040s. We will eventually need to replace our machines and move to 7040s and I want to get this resolved before that time.
I have been able to reproduce the USB troubleshooter error message with 100% reliability on every dell 7040 that I have tried it on so far (~10)
My efforts with Dell and Fujitsu tech support have been fruitless.
My Dell Technical Account Manager tells me that the Skylake processor has had some issues with USB 3.0. Do you think that this could be related to past usb 3.0 issues with the skylake proc?