9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 5:32 PM by Intel Corporation

Edison loses WiFi

nelfata

Hello,

the Intel Edison occasionally loses its WiFi connection and does not reconnect or connect to some other network even though no other WiFi entries are available in wpa_supplicant.conf (besides the one that was configured)

Is there a way to disable WiFi network switching and maintain connection?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Edison loses WiFi
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi nelfata,

That seems related to a bad image issue, we recommend you to flash your Edison with the latest version, you can use this method https://communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-25154  where is indicated all necessary steps and has a link to download the latest Yocto Image.

Additionally, after that you can configure your WiFi connection using configure_edison –wifi and test if your issue was solved.

Please let us know if the issue was solved or if you have more questions.

Regards,

-Yermi

• 2. Re: Edison loses WiFi
            nelfata

Hello Yermi,

sure I can try that. But I have been using the latest image. It is confusing though that everything installs perfectly fine but how could the image be corrupt in one area?

Does the image download tool as provided by the Intel executable verify the image after download?

• 3. Re: Edison loses WiFi
              nelfata

One more thing to add. I noticed that when I power cycle my router, the Edison looses it's IP address. Attempting to execute 'ifconfig' show no IP on wlan0. The only way to recover is to reboot. Also at my client's site, the IP address switched to some local IP 192.168.x.y.

We have about 10 Edison based devices on the network and a few of those exert this behavior and it seems quite random (in fact not sure if due to router disconnects or to low signal quality or and issue the Edison WiFi). Although power cycling the router is guaranteed to make the IP disappear.

Any thoughts?

• 4. Re: Edison loses WiFi
                Intel Corporation

Hi nelfata,

If you are using the latest Yocto image and it installed without any issue, so there should not have any issue.

We would like to know some more information in order to help you. Are there always the same boards having this behavior randomly (sometimes works well and others not)?  Additionally, to discard if it could be a low signal quality issue, Could you try to have a board (or 2 boards) with this behavior near to the router and test if the Edison continues with this issue?

We find this thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/77549 that could be helpful.

We hope this information helps. Please let us know how it is going.

Regards,

Yermi  

• 5. Re: Edison loses WiFi
                  nelfata

Hello again,

I have some additional information that might clarify the root cause of the problem.

On our devices we have a motor that we occasionally activate. I understand that there might be some interference with the WiFi due to the EMI generated, but this is not a big issue (it is rare that the WiFi is being impacted). We think the issue is that there is a dip in the voltage supplied to the Edison. The voltage is dropping momentarily to 2.9v on the 3.3v supply to the Edison.

In one of the specs, there seems to have some minimum voltage that is required of 3.15v in order to keep the WiFi and Bluetooth operational.

The dip is correlating consistently with the motor turning on and the permanent loss of WiFi connection on some of the devices (requires a reboot to recover).

When the WiFi has been lost on the configured network, it seems by using the serial console, that the WiFi is defaulting to some IP address 192.168.x.y.

A reboot is required to restore the configured WiFi settings.

We can deal with this dip of voltage and the temporary loss of WiFi connection, but having the IP changing this is quite shocking and cannot be dealt with.

Please provide some more information regarding the minimum voltage and power requirements of the Edison as well as the impact on the system operation.

Also please provide some temporary fix so we can recover the network settings programmatically without a reboot.

If you have some additional thoughts it would be very useful for us, as we are deploying more and more Edison based devices on a weekly basis.

Thank you in advance.

• 6. Re: Edison loses WiFi
                    Intel Corporation

Hi,

Thanks for all the information provided, we found information related with power consumption for Intel Edison in these links:

Additionally, we would like to know some more information about it:
                    1. How do you power the Edisons? Please, Could you send us a picture with the configuration?
                    2. Could you please tell us how you have connected the motor to the Edisons? How do you power it?
                    Hope these links help, we’ll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

-Yermi
                    • 7. Re: Edison loses WiFi
                      nelfata

Hello Yermi,

the first link you sent me shows me search page, and the second is data available online. I need detailed specs from Intel with actual voltage and current requirements for the Edison.

I could send you a schematic for review, but I cannot provide it here publicly. Please provide me with your direct email or some other means to send you the file securely.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Edison loses WiFi
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Nelfata,
                        I apologize for the inconvenience with the first link, I corrected it and here is the link http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-edison-boards/000006086.html.  

I would like that you try these steps in order to reboot the Wlan0 programmatically.

• ifconfig wlan0 down
                        • systemctl restart wpa_supplicant.service
                        • ifconfig wlan0 up

Please let me know if it works, additionally, about the schematic for review, if you are agree to share that, I could send you a private message.

Regards,

-Yermi
                        • 9. Re: Edison loses WiFi
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Nelfata,

I would like to know if you were able to recover the network settings programmatically with the steps provided in the previous post, also, remember that if you still want to share your schematic with me you can always send me a private message.

Regards,
                          -Yermi