7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 6:28 PM by Intel Corporation

Using Bluetooth keyboard in both BIOS and Windows

DeanGibson

I posted the following in another thread, but it has not percolated up to the list of recent threads (long live die the Jive forum software!), so here it is again ...

I have the Intel CS125 (STK1AW32SC) and the Logitech K380 Bluetooth keyboard (which has buttons to allow pairing/usage with three hosts).  I have updated the CS125 to apparently the most recent BIOS (v0024) for the CS125.  After activating the pre-installed x86 WIndows 10 Home variant, I installed the Windows 10 x64 Home v1607 variant, and installed the relevant x64 drivers (including the recent Bluetooth driver).  I can successfully pair the K380 with the BIOS, and use it to enter the BIOS during POST.  I can also successfully pair the K380 with Windows 10.

However, even though I have assigned the two different pairings to two different buttons on the K380, pairing to the BIOS makes the previous pairing in Windows non-functional, and vice versa.  Apparently the K380 sees the same CS125 MAC address in the other pairing and gets confused.  If anyone has gotten this to work with the K380, please let us know.

It would be really, really cool if the Intel Bluetooth driver would reach down into the BIOS storage, and if it finds a pairing established in the BIOS, to use that pairing info in Windows.  I presume there is some sort of handshake key that is needed.  That would mean a single pairing could be used.

Did I say that it would be really, really cool?

• 1. Re: Using Bluetooth keyboard in both BIOS and Windows
          N.Scott.Pearson

Yea, that would be really cool, but you likely won't see this happen. The Windows Bluetooth driver is a generic driver from Microsoft, not Intel, and it has no knowledge of whose BIOS is present, how data can be accessed within this BIOS (or if this data can even be accessed) or in what form this data is presented. It would take a cross-industry effort, likely driven by Microsoft, to define a standard implementation for this capability (a potentially multi-year effort)...

...S

• 2. Re: Using Bluetooth keyboard in both BIOS and Windows
            DeanGibson

Yes, that is true for the Microsoft Bluetooth driver, but Intel provides a specific Bluetooth driver package for the STK1A32SC (v19.0.1621.3340, dated 2016-05-23) that is different from the Microsoft Bluetooth driver:

Download Bluetooth: Intel Bluetooth® Technology-Based Driver for Windows 10* for Intel® Compute Stick STK1A32SC

In fact, that's why I installed it, hoping that (since it was specific to the STK1A32SC) it would have the BIOS-related code.  However, no such luck.  Yet.

• 3. Re: Using Bluetooth keyboard in both BIOS and Windows
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Dean,

The stick comes with Windows 10 32bit and Intel provides the appropriate drivers for it. In your case that you are using Windows 10 64bit, it is necessary to use the drivers provided by Windows 10 update.

The memory storage available in the BIOS is limited; it is not possible to keep the Bluetooth driver there plus it requires an extra multi-industry effort.

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: Using Bluetooth keyboard in both BIOS and Windows
                DeanGibson

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hi Dean,

The stick comes with Windows 10 32bit and Intel provides the appropriate drivers for it. In your case that you are using Windows 10 64bit, it is necessary to use the drivers provided by Windows 10 update.

Regards, Mike C

I did that ...

DeanGibson previously wrote above:

... I installed the Windows 10 x64 Home v1607 variant, and installed the relevant x64 drivers (including the recent Bluetooth driver)....

Bluetooth works fine in Windows 10 x64 on the CS125.  I'd just like to be able to use the same pairing in Windows that the BIOS uses ...

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hi Dean,

... The memory storage available in the BIOS is limited; it is not possible to keep the Bluetooth driver there plus it requires an extra multi-industry effort.

Regards,
                Mike C

I'm not asking for any change to the Intel BIOS.  Intel already has the necessary code in the newer CS125 BIOSes to pair to a Bluetooth keyboard, and it stores that information for use during subsequent POSTs.  I'm asking for the Intel-supplied/specific Bluetooth driver (see your link above) running on Windows 10 fully booted, to access the pairing information that the Intel BIOS has already stored.  That driver would then use that pairing information (if present), instead of establishing a different pairing, as it does now.

This should not require any effort from Microsoft.  Note that I used to write BIOS code for PCs (although that was a while ago).

• 5. Re: Using Bluetooth keyboard in both BIOS and Windows
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Dean,

I understood what you want. I am going to send your request to my upper manager. Maybe this synchronization will be available in the future.

Regards,
                  Mike C

• 6. Re: Using Bluetooth keyboard in both BIOS and Windows
                    DeanGibson

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hi Dean,

I understood what you want. I am going to send your request to my upper manager. Maybe this synchronization will be available in the future.

Regards,
                    Mike C

Thanks.  I don't go into the BIOS often, and when I do, I almost always have a USB keyboard attached.  It just seems like my suggestion would be a nice feature, but there's no urgency.  As it is now, the current Bluetooth keyboard support in the BIOS is of limited utility to me.

• 7. Re: Using Bluetooth keyboard in both BIOS and Windows
                      Intel Corporation

Hi Dean,

Thank you for your understanding. My manager has sent your idea to our engineer department; they will study your request.

Regards,
                      Mike C