14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2016 10:04 PM by Mark_DZ77GA-70K

Is Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R controller compatible with DZ77GA-70k?

Mark_DZ77GA-70K

Link to RAID controller I'm asking about is here:

Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R 6Gb/s SATA/SAS 8 Internal Ports w/ 128MB Cache Memory Controller Card, Kit-Newegg.com

Second question - does 4-Lane PCIe Gen2 mean PCI x4 ?

Will above mentioned controller be compatible with slot marked in DZ77GA-70k specification by letter "A" like in picture.

DZ77GA-70k.png

• 1. Re: Is Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R controller compatible with DZ77GA-70k?
          N.Scott.Pearson

Yes, these things mean the same thing and yes, the recommended place to try this card would be the slot marked 'A' in this diagram. I do not recommend using the slot marked 'C' for this card; doing so would reduce the performance of the graphics card plugged into the slot marked 'G' (would force this slot from x16 mode to x8 mode).

Now, whether this card is compatible with the board is a separate question. In theory it should work, but that's all I can say. The only way to know for sure is to try. You may have to enable UEFI before it will work (it all depends upon whether the card's BIOS extension supports one or both of the Legacy and UEFI drivers)...

Hope this helps (and let us know your results),

...S

• 2. Re: Is Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R controller compatible with DZ77GA-70k?
            Mark_DZ77GA-70K

Thank you! Meanwhile I was searching for more modern RAID card - Adaptec 8405 (2277600-R) PCI-Express 3.0 x8. I know that x16 PCI slot switches to x8 mode in this MB  if both slots are occupied. But I use integrated video card for programming only and ready to sacrifices discrete video card. Adaptec 8405 - Series 8 promises 12Gb/s. Now I'm in USA and have opportunity to by modern Series 8 RAID controller. The difference in price is not huge. But performance can be faster. And I use virtual machines extensively. What do you think about  Adaptec 8405, will **it** work with DZ77GA-70k?

• 3. Re: Is Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R controller compatible with DZ77GA-70k?
              Mark_DZ77GA-70K

P.S. I asked about Adaptec RAID 6805E because it is the only available in my native country. But as I said here is Houston I have options.

Second, I'm afraid that it will be difficult to reuse x4 PCI card in case of upgrade to new MB. Are PCI x4 included in modern motherboards?

• 4. Re: Is Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R controller compatible with DZ77GA-70k?
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to N.Scott.Pearson for the comments posted above, that information will be useful for all the peers on this thread.

To Mark_DZ77GA-70K:

On the following link you will see a list of compatible peripherals with the Intel® DZ77GA-70K motherboard, but as you can see there, video cards are not listed:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000007869.html

So, in order to find out if a video card will work with the board, basically the best way to do that will be by testing it on the board itself, by doing that you will be able to make sure if it is compatible or not.

A BIOS update on the board will be a good thing to do.

Here you can see the instructions to do a BIOS update using the F7 method:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

And here is the file that you need to do it, it is for BIOS version 0066 which is the latest one:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22828/BIOS-Update-GAZ7711H-86A-?product=63244

In regard to your inquiry about reuse the x4 PCI video card, that will depend on the motherboard itself, the latest board model that was released by Intel® was back in 2013, so, from our side that information is not available, let me apologize for that, but you can always get  in contact with any of the boards manufacturers, like ASUS, ASrock or Gigabyte, to verify with them if the 4x PCI slot will be discontinue in the near future.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 5. Re: Is Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R controller compatible with DZ77GA-70k?
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Mark,

I have no way to tell absolutely whether this other card will work. I can say that, in theory, it should work, but not much more.

Now, since it is a x8 card, you are going to have to put it into the 'C' slot - and this is going to mean that the video card is going to be slowed from its normal x16 performance to x8. This is a trade-off that you will need to make yourself; either suffer the video performance drop so you can use this higher-performance storage solution or stick with a x4 solution (in slot 'A') and keep the full x16 performance (in slot 'G') for video. Think carefully; with a x4 connection, you are theoretically capable of transferring data at 3.94 GB/s. Do you need more throughput than that for storage? Do you have storage devices that can even consume that much? On the other side of the coin, how close to this theoretical throughput will you really get? Remember that the x4 slot (unlike the x8 slot) is behind the PCH component and (a) throughput is limited by the overall performance of your processor's DMI bus and (b) this bus is shared with various other interfaces (LAN, SATA, USB, etc. and etc.).

Hope this helps (and I didn't create more questions that I answered),

...S

• 6. Re: Is Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R controller compatible with DZ77GA-70k?
                    Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to N.Scott.Pearson for the information posted above, I am sure it will be very useful for all the peers viewing this thread.

And I just wanted to apologize because I said video card, when actually I meant RAID card, on the comments posted above.

Also, I wanted to confirm the information provided on the last post by, N.Scott.Pearson, because that is exactly how the RAID card and the board will work.

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 7. Re: Is Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R controller compatible with DZ77GA-70k?
                      Mark_DZ77GA-70K

Thank you! I launch windows 7 from SSD on 6Gb/s SATA port.  I'm happy with performance of integrated in CPU video except this MB has only one out for display and I as programmer need 2-3 displays. So I will add not fast video card with 3 output. Main concern: Usually I use several virtual machines of type B - like VirtualBox on top of Windows 7. My main concern is performance of these VM running in parallel. The capacity of affordable SDD is not enough. Throughput of SATA controllers (two ports) is 6Gb/s - RAID (fake or windows) based on 2 HDD is slow for my 3-4 virtual machines I run simultaneously . Second, I bought fore WD RE Enterprise HDD 500Gb - they work correctly only under REAL RAID controller supervision. Because they rely on external error correction. Using x4 is attractive. Maybe x4 throughput of 6Gb/s will be enough for RAID from 4 WD Re. But I don't need fast videocard - I don't play games. I want be confident virtual machines are really fast - comparable to host system. Also RAID is quite expensive and I want to migrate it to another new MB in 2-3 years and I afraid that x4 will be absent in motherboards in 1-2 years. What do you think about this perspective - will x4 survive in next generations?

• 8. Re: Is Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R controller compatible with DZ77GA-70k?
                        Intel Corporation

Hello Mark_DZ77GA-70K:

Thank you very much for letting us know all that information.

In regard to your question, about reuse the x4 PCI video card in the future, that will depend on the motherboard itself, since we as Intel® do not manufactured boards anymore, that information will not be available let me apologize for that, to get more information the best thing to do will be to check with the different boards manufacturers.

In addition, maybe N. Scott Pearson might have further details about your inquiry on this matter.

Regards

Alberto

• 9. Re: Is Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R controller compatible with DZ77GA-70k?
                          Mark_DZ77GA-70K

If you have no information please do not answer - it's difficult for other people to read.

• 11. Re: Is Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R controller compatible with DZ77GA-70k?
                            N.Scott.Pearson

Mark,

As you have discovered yourself, most of the higher performance SSD solutions are moving to NVMe, which (currently) allows the SSD to use the throughput of up to 4 PCIe lanes. It should be obvious that the answer to your question is yes, multi-lane PCIe solutions will continue into the foreseeable future. Now, these emerging NVMe solutions all utilize the M.2 interface, not the raw PCIe x4/x8 connectors. My crystal ball says it is more likely that the next-generation SSDs will use a follow-on to the M.2 interface (likely called M.3 or M.4), that will provide 8+ PCIe lanes to the SSD drive.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 12. Re: Is Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R controller compatible with DZ77GA-70k?
                              Mark_DZ77GA-70K

Is the SSD 750 series compatible with Intel Mainboard DZ77GA-70K?

if I will have Adaptec RAID (because HDD raid provides terabytes) - whether NVMe SSD can be useful?

Will Intel SSD 750 series be faster then Adaptec RAID 8 series (12Gb/s)?

If yes I can use my old 128 Mb SATA SSD as boot device,

Intel SSD 750 series for compilation on host machine (this SSD 750 is great for small files)

and Adaptec 8 series for large virtual machines.

• 13. Re: Is Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R controller compatible with DZ77GA-70k?
                                N.Scott.Pearson

Yes, alas, this is true. In the (now aged) Intel Desktop Boards (even the 8 Series), no support for M.2 or NVMe is provided, so booting from the PCIe NVMe drives (Intel or otherwise) is not supported. I should point out, however, that a PCIe NVMe drive could be booted if they included a boot ROM, but this would be sort of defeating the purpose.

Which solution is faster is dependent upon (or at least limited by) the capabilities of the drives used and the lever of parallelism possible (based on RAID mode, level of caching, etc.) From a drive performance standpoint, even the Samsung NVMe drives come nowhere near full utilization of the PCIe x4 interface capabilities.

...S

• 14. Re: Is Adaptec RAID 6805E 2271800-R controller compatible with DZ77GA-70k?
                                  Mark_DZ77GA-70K

Thank you - you are politician =) But I found only today that "Some NVMe SSDs like Samsung's 950 Pro SSD are natively bootable in LEGACY mode (CSM and loading of Option ROMs has to be enabled within the BIOS), because their Controller chip contains its own NVMe supporting Option ROM module.". But I have bought Intel 750 series yesterday. I can change it but:

1) This Samsung support M.2 and "The Z77 chipset doesn't natively offer M.2, but it's possible to use an adapter to plug it into a PCIe slot".

2) Is it so crucial to boot from NVMe? All people want. Will I experience performance degradation if I will boot frommy old SATA SSD and then work with NVMe?

3) there is risky way to fix Z77 to boot from NVMe: [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for Intel Chipset systems from 6-Series up

What approach do you choose if you have lack of time  - therefore ready to pay extra cost for performance? And I'm not ready to change all system.