4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 2:32 PM by Intel Corporation

Host PC unresponsive when USB (device mode port)

srberard

I'm seeing strange behavior on my PC when I have the Edison Arduino expansion port connected to my PC via USB.  When the Edison is connected to the device mode port my entire PC gets extremely slow.  I see high CPU and networking is extremely slow.  Once I disconnect the Edison everything works fine.

I've followed the instructions here: 

IoT - Get Started with the Intel® Edison Development Board on Windows* 64-bit | Intel® Software

I've successfully installed the drivers, updated firmware, and completed the setup.  I am able to connect to my Edison board over WiFi.  Everything seems to be OK there.  It's only when the device is connected to my PC.

My host (development) PC is running Windows 10 64-bit.

Thanks,
      Stephen

• 1. Re: Host PC unresponsive when USB (device mode port)
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello srberard,

That is not a usual behavior. I have an idea of what could be happening, could you please try the following:

1. Connect your Edison to your PC with both USB cables.
          2. Open your device manager.
          3. Go to network adapters.
          4. Look for a network adapter called Intel Edison USB RNDIS Device.
          5. Right click on this device.
          6. Select the option Disable.

Please let me know if the issue persists after performing these steps.
          -Peter.

• 2. Re: Host PC unresponsive when USB (device mode port)
            srberard

The RNDIS device is enabled and does not show any errors.  The strange thing is that my PC seems to act extremely weird only when the device is connected via USB.  For example, Task Manager takes minutes to show any details on processes or update the performance graphs.  I've not seem anything like it.  If I disconnect the Edison everything snaps back to normal straight away.  Its almost as if there is some interrupt storm or something similar consuming tons of CPU or kernel time.

Probably unrelated, but I do get an error when I first connect it asking me to format the drive as follows:

I assume this is benign and is due to the fact that the device has a Linux filesystem on it.  I only mention it in case it's a symptom of my Edison not being properly setup.

Thanks for the help,

Stephen

• 3. Re: Host PC unresponsive when USB (device mode port)
              srberard

Sorry, I missed the step about disabling the RNDIS driver.  I just tried that now and that seems to have fixed the issue.  It took a while to complete the disable option, but when it was complete my PC behaving normally again.

Should I keep this set to disable or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks,

Stephen

• 4. Re: Host PC unresponsive when USB (device mode port)
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

I'm glad to hear that it fixed the issue. I always keep this option disabled on my PC, it should not affect your Edison's functionalities at all. So, I suggest you to keep it disabled.

-Peter.