Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Is there a way to use the 8x8 polyphase scaling to encode videos ?

idata
Employee

Hello

I noticed when I used VirtualDub (a program to encode videos) on my notebook, that when I zoomed the image (4X on the picture), an upscaling was effective (the window on the left on the picture). Normally, the image is upscaled and downscaled with a Nearest Neighbor filter (the window on the right) in the preview.

[see the pictures in full screen]

I would like to know how I can disable this scaling, by Intel I suppose, because I can't see what the original picture looks like when I zoom the image

However, this type of scaling is interessant. I read on Internet, that it's a "8x8 polyphase scaling" on the Intel HD4600.

It's particularly impressive when we zoom an image in a program like ACDSee.

Zoom 1000% :

Zoom 2000% :

Zoom 5000% :

Zoom 10000% :

Here is the original image :

So, I would like to know, if there is a way to use this scaling per example to encode videos please

Thanks for your answer

(sorry for my simple English, I'm French)

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Can I have an answer please ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SuperLumberjack:

First of all I wanted to apologize that we did not answer your questions before, is because the Intel® support is provided from Monday to Friday.

Now, on the Intel® graphics controller, on the option that says "video", you will see an option that says "image scaling" where you can enable or disable it, but that option works when you play the video.

Under the option "display", there is no setting to enable or disable scaling.

So, the feature of scaling is based on the VirtualDub tool itself, the tool is the one that handles the way of how scaling will work.

In regard to your question about using 8x8 polyphase scaling to encode videos, that will also depend on the tool itself, so, the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the tool developers.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK. Thanks for the answer. No problem

But it should have an option to disable this scaling. I don't believe the developers of VirtualDub thought that an upscaling of Intel could be active in this program for the preview. Because normally it's just a Nereast Neighbor which is used for previews.

And this scaling is effective in others programs too, like ACDSee, as I said. I'm not sure the wanted it in theirs programs. The only solution is to implement an option to choose the way this scaling is effective, or the programs which use it.

For encoding, I didn't think about encode in VirtualDub. I thought about a tool developed by Intel to use this scaling and encode videos, because if it can be activated in some programs without ask anythink, maybe there is a possibility to encode with it

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SuperLumberjack:

Thank you very much for that information.

In regard to your first comment, unfortunately there is no option to disable scaling, the options that are available are the ones you see on the Intel® graphics control panel.

Additionally, to answer your second question, there is no Intel® tool that use the scaling and to encode videos, let me apologize for that.

But as an option, in order to get further information, let me give you a link for our software support site, in there you can find software developers that might be able to assist you on this matter:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forum https://software.intel.com/en-us/forum

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK. No problem ! Thank you very much !

Have a nice day !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SuperLumberjack:

You are welcome, have a nice day as well.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos