1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2016 1:53 PM by Intel Corporation

Edison RTC problem

shmkv

Hi,

I plugged the battery 3V (100% working)  to V_VBAT_BKUP pin, but edison clears RTC after system reset (even after a soft reset using "reboot" command).

Also in the system log is written:

[    2.086927] pmic_ccsm pmic_ccsm: Error reading battery profile from battid frmwrk

[    2.096924] pmic_ccsm pmic_ccsm: Battery Over heat exception

[    2.097003] pmic_ccsm pmic_ccsm: Battery0 temperature inside boundary

What could be the reason?

• 1. Re: Edison RTC problem
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi shmkv,

It looks like this is a normal message in the startup when the Edison does not have a battery (Look this link: https://communities.intel.com/message/319441#319441). I think that your Edison don't recognize the battery , it can be an issue with the voltage and current ranges. On the Edison the default settings are 2.5V/10uA, but you can program the values.

I suggest you to read the section 4.13 of the Hardware Guide, it has a lot of information about the V_VBAT_BKUP pin, and try to program the values for your case.

I hope this works for you.

Regards,
          -Leonardo

• 2. Re: Edison RTC problem
            shmkv

Hi Leonardo,

I studied all open documents by Edison before to create this topic. I understand that BBCHGRCFG controls the current  and the maximum level of the charge voltage. I tried to compile the kernel with the addition intel_scu_ipc_iowrite8(0x52, 31) in the PMIC initialization function, but It did not help. I tried to apply different voltages (in range 2.5 - 3.3v) to V_VBAT_BKUP (using laboratory power supply), but nothing happened. I think I damaged the PMIC when debugging a new PCB. By mistake, originally I charged the battery from VSYS  in parallel through a diode and 100 ohm resistor.  Now I fixed this, but apparently too late.

• 3. Re: Edison RTC problem
              Intel Corporation

Hi shmkv,

How do you know that the PMIC is damaged?  Is your Edison giving any error messages when it boots? 

Regards,
              -Leonardo

• 4. Re: Edison RTC problem
                shmkv

Hi Leonardo,

I don't see other error messages at boot time. However, I have no ideas why this is happening. I don't know already what else to do. Current consumption V_VBAT_BKUP = 0 uA (3V), Edison turned off (VSYS = 0V), I think PMIC damaged.

• 5. Re: Edison RTC problem
                  Intel Corporation

Hi shmkv,

It looks like a weird problem, I am not sure if it is a PMIC problem because your Edison doesn't have another power problem and it seems to works fine without a strange behavior.

Try to measure the power outputs of the Edison (Pin 8, 10: 3.3 V and pin 12: 1.8 V) to confirm that it is a PMIC problem.  If the values are the same try to change the battery for the V_VBAT_BKUP pin and look if you get the same problem. Look the hardware guide that I gave you on the first reply and see the section 3.5 for more information about the PMIC.

Let me know when you get the results to find a way to solve your problem.

Regards,
                  -Leonardo

• 6. Re: Edison RTC problem
                    shmkv

Hi Leonardo,

How do I measure the power? Edison will not be damaged if I connect the outputs to GND through amperemeter?

• 7. Re: Edison RTC problem
                      Intel Corporation

Hi shmkv,

Yes you're right you can't do that, but in the last reply I meant that you can try to measure the voltage level of these outputs and maybe you could find out that there is problem with the PMIC if the values are not right. 

Remember to try the replacement of the battery, I'll be waiting for your results to find a way to help you

Regards,
                      -Leonardo

• 8. Re: Edison RTC problem
                        shmkv

Hi Leonardo,

All voltages are normal and without fluctuations (I looked at the oscilloscope). Which battery do you recommend? I'll buy it. However, I see no reason to Edison could not work with Lab power supply instead of the battery connected.

• 9. Re: Edison RTC problem
                          Intel Corporation

Hi shmkv,

It seems that your PMIC is fine, I can't recommend you a specific type of battery, but you can look at the Hardware Guide and try to use the recommendations of the Section 4.13. And take a look at this thread: https://communities.intel.com/thread/87964, it has useful information for the V_VBAT_BKUP pin.

I hope these suggestions helps you.

Regards,
                          -Leonardo

• 10. Re: Edison RTC problem
                            shmkv

Hi Leonardo,

Currently supercapacitor Panasonic EECS5R5V155 soldered to my PCB, but RTC doesn't work. That's why I'm asking a specific model. I will try connect CR1220 soon. However, I doubt that something will change.

• 11. Re: Edison RTC problem
                              Intel Corporation

Hi shmkv,

Let me investigate a little more and I will let you know if I found something useful.

I appreciate your patience.

Regards,
                              -Leonardo

• 12. Re: Edison RTC problem
                                Intel Corporation

Hi Shmkv,

We did a test and we didn't have issues setting and keeping the Edison's RTC. We connected a 3V coin cell battery (CR2032) to GND and V_VBAT_BKUP (Pin 5 of J18), and ran the next commands:

date 091907202016 (MMDDhhmmYYYY)
                                hwclock --systohc

This last command is very important because it syncs the hardware clock and the system clock. Please try to do the same steps and let me know if you still have issues with it.

After we ran the commands, we removed the power and rebooted the Edison and it kept the date.

I hope you find this information useful.

Regards,
                                -Leonardo

• 13. Re: Edison RTC problem
                                  Intel Corporation

Hi Shmkv,

Was the information useful? Do you still have issues with the RTC

Remember that we are here to help you.

Regards,
                                  -Leonardo

• 14. Re: Edison RTC problem
                                    shmkv

Hi Leonardo,

hwclock --systohc command helped me. Thanks for the help!

1 2 Previous Next