7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 7:36 PM by Intel Corporation

KVM Support for NUC5i5RYH

TheTechWizard

Have tried to connect 8 NUC5i5RYH's to this KVM switch.

Amazon.com: E-SDS 1080P 8 Port Auto USB HDMI Kvm Switch with Push Buttons and Hot Key Control: Computers & Accessories

Using mini HDMI to HDMI cables don't work, i can go directly to the monitor and it works, but when i go through the KVM with the same cable nothing comes through to the monitor.

Can anyone suggest a KVM that will work with these NUC5i5RYH's

thanks

v

• 1. Re: KVM Support for NUC5i5RYH
          N.Scott.Pearson

I have used a number of different VGA- and DVI-based KVMs from IOGear, D-LINK and Syba, but I have no experience with HDMI-based KVMs. I prefer Syba's solutions, but their only HDMI-based solution only has three useable ports (the fourth is only for Smart Phone connection); they do not have an 8-port version. The HDMI solutions in the NUCs can be finicky; you need to make sure that the switch you select has support for HDMI 1.4. I do know that using a DVI-based switch and HDMI-to-DVI (or DP-to-DVI) adapters works just great with all NUCs (and I have tested every NUC model).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: KVM Support for NUC5i5RYH
            TheTechWizard

I think I'll go to a DVI based switch and put adapters on the monitor ports on the back of it, was trying to avoid buying all the adapters, but i guess I'll just have to go with it, thanks for the fast reply...

v

• 3. Re: KVM Support for NUC5i5RYH
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi TheTechWizard,

Intel has not tested any KVM yet. My best suggestion is verify is you have the latest BIOS, chipset, Management Engine and graphics driver version from the page below:

5i5RYK drivers:
              https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/83254/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5i5RYK

Tested Peripherals
              http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000020804.html?wapkw=nuc6i7kyk

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: KVM Support for NUC5i5RYH
                N.Scott.Pearson

In my original response, I said that I had no experience with HDMI-based KVMs. Well, I do now...

I purchased a Zagall 4x1 USB HDMI KVM Switch (available for US$76 here: Amazon.com: Zagall 4x1 USB HDMI KVM Switch). There were a number of negative reviews for this product but they didn't read right (sounded to me more like user error than anything else), so I took a chance. I am glad I did. It works perfectly.

So far, I have tested it with various combinations of these devices:

• An Intel DH77DF-based desktop PC running Windows 7 and using on-board video.
                • An Intel DZ68BC-based desktop PC running Windows 7 and using HDMI output from ATI graphics card.
                • An Intel STCK2M3W64CC Compute Stick running Windows 10.
                • An Intel BOXSTK1AW32SC Compute Stick running Windows 10 (32-bit).
                • An Intel NUC5PGYH NUC running Windows 10.
                • An Intel NUC6i5SYH NUC running Windows 7.

I will try with other NUC models as time allows.

With each PC, the only thing I had to do was select the HDMI audio as the default playback device in Windows. The KVM's embedded USB audio device, which supports front panel headphone and microphone jacks, was selected by default (because the USB discovery ran after the monitor detection). Other than that, it was plug-and-play.

I have this KVM connected to a Seiki SE22FE01 TV. This TV has a bug in its HDMI input handling and will not wake automatically if the TV goes into a low power state. Bottom line, I cannot tell you if this feature will work properly with other TVs.

I also have a Logitech G15 Gaming keyboard connected to the KVM and have the software for it installed on all PCs. It too is working flawlessly (I have an IOGear KVM that didn't do so well with this keyboard connected).

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. The unit comes with cables for all 4 ports, but you have to provide your own HDMI cable for the TV.

• 5. Re: KVM Support for NUC5i5RYH
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Also tried D54250WYH and D34010WYK, both running Windows 7, using mHDMI-to-HDMI adapters and they worked fine.

...S

• 6. Re: KVM Support for NUC5i5RYH
                    TheTechWizard

I returned the KVM i had purchased earlier and purchased a StarTech SV831DVIU, with adapters for DVI to HDMI and it works great.

• 7. Re: KVM Support for NUC5i5RYH
                      Intel Corporation
                      This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi TheTechWizard,

Thank you for your update. I am glad you were able to fix the issue.

Regards,
                      Mike C