3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 5:39 PM by Intel Corporation

Battlefield 4 crashing computer on Intel 5500 (Windows 10 Anniversary, 1607/RS1)

NathanLi

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

After launching Battlefield 4 from the browser client/Battlelog, opening the Battlefield 4 window will almost immediately freeze my computer, requiring a forced restart (the sound will also stutter). This has occurred after upgrading my laptop to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Interestingly enough, this will only happen once I open the window (i.e. if I leave Battlefield open in the background, my computer will be fine until I click on the icon in the taskbar). Likewise, this only happens in fullscreen and borderless--if I switch to windowed, the game will largely be fine.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%): X. Always happens in fullscreen and borderless

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo X1 Carbon, 2015 (3rd Gen)

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
      ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Integrated Graphics; Intel HD Graphics 5500

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
      LFP
      = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
      EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

Happens on both the LFP and EFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8 GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
      ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

In my testing, this has happened regardless of hardware. Simply launching Battlefield 4, whether I'm using my external monitor or local flat panel, will completely freeze my system.

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1616&SUBSYS_222717AA&REV_09

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1616&SUBSYS_222717AA

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1616&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1616&CC_0300

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Version 1607, Build 14393.51)

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

? (can't seem to find)

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

I think Lenovo has pushed custom drivers: 20.19.15.4444

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Battlefield 4

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

For work, I run the display extended. However, the problem can be reproduced if I use either the single display on either my external or laptop monitor.

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

External: 1600x900, 60p Hz

Local: 2560x1440, 60p Hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

Power cable plugged in

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
      A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. Launch Battlefield 4 from web browser client
      2. Once loaded, click the Battlefield icon in the taskbar
      3. If the game opens in borderless or fullscreen, the entire computer will completely freeze, with the sound stuttering.

Hi, I've tried to detail a rather frustrating issue that I've found with Battlefield 4 after upgrading to the Windows 10 Anniversary update. Since this only happens in full screen and borderless modes, I suspect it may be some graphics issue. I've posted as much information as I can above with knowledge of my system, though I haven't run the System Support Utility on my machine. Let me know if there is anything else you need, or any fix that might be in the works.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Battlefield 4 crashing computer on Intel 5500 (Windows 10 Anniversary, 1607/RS1)
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi NathanLi,

We have seen random issues with the latest Windows 10 update. The workaround is re-installing drivers from scratch.

Go to programs and features and uninstall and delete the current graphics driver. Restart the pc then, go to Lenovo support website and download the latest driver available. Finally install the graphics driver.

It is a good idea to verify if you are already using the latest BIOS and chipset driver.

Lenovo support website:
          http://support.lenovo.com/cr/en/#

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: Battlefield 4 crashing computer on Intel 5500 (Windows 10 Anniversary, 1607/RS1)
            NathanLi

Intel Corporation wrote:

Hi NathanLi,

We have seen random issues with the latest Windows 10 update. The workaround is re-installing drivers from scratch.

Go to programs and features and uninstall and delete the current graphics driver. Restart the pc then, go to Lenovo support website and download the latest driver available. Finally install the graphics driver.

It is a good idea to verify if you are already using the latest BIOS and chipset driver.

Lenovo support website:
            http://support.lenovo.com/cr/en/#

Regards,
            Mike C

Hi Mike! Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the workaround doesn't appear to work on my end. After uninstalling, restarting, reinstalling, and restarting the 5500 driver, the game exhibits the same behavior as before (after clicking on the Battlefield icon, the game will appear to load for a few seconds before completely freezing my computer). Additionally, per your request, I did verify that I have the latest BIOS from Lenovo.

I was wondering if there were any additional fixes, or if this is a legitimate issue with the driver after update?

Best,

Nathan

• 3. Re: Battlefield 4 crashing computer on Intel 5500 (Windows 10 Anniversary, 1607/RS1)
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Nathan,

The issue is happening randomly with some systems. The operating system is new and changing, some applications are experiencing problems.

In your case, it will be necessary to review with Lenovo if they already tested the current customized graphics driver on your laptop with Windows 10 update 1607.

I suggest you to try to change the game settings to low performance, run it alone, and close any other application.

Regards,
              Mike C