Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel 4600 HD integrated on CPU has, for 3 years, froze every 30 seconds, display driver stopped responding... Tried it all, what's up?

CConn7
Beginner

I built my PC myself 3 years ago... Reformatted hard drive, updated to every version of drivers, through Win 7 through 10. Every 30 seconds my comp freezes for 5 with a black screen and display driver error. Please address... I've tried it all for years. H81 motherboard.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, CJM:

I would like to gather some information in order to address this matter, so please download the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility, and attach it, with this report I will be able to confirm some of that information.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
CConn7
Beginner
Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Home(10.0.14393 Build 14393)Physical Memory (Installed):8 GBProcessor :Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4330 CPU @ 3.50GHzSystem Type:x64-based PCDisplay Adapter(s):Intel(R) HD Graphics 460020.19.15.4474System Manufacturer:ASRockSystem Model:H81M-ITXNetwork Adapter(s):ASUS USB-N53 802.11a/b/g/n Network Adapter5.1.26.0Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)2.1.0.21Disk(s):Hitachi HDS723020BLA6421,011.72 GB (available)10.0.14393.0
0 Kudos
CConn7
Beginner

I notice that when the CPU usage spikes when this happens, the top offending process is apparently DWM.EXE

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For testing purposes try the following http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/10757-dwm-exe-stopped-working.html Windows 10 Forums, see the third answer. I would also recommend testing a different driver version, see here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26079/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]. With these two recommendations we can try narrow down the crash, please give them a try and let me know how it goes.

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
CConn7
Beginner

No luck with the Windows 10 fix.

As far as the drivers, I've tried them ALL over the last few years, including the last few betas, as well as rolling back to previously released drivers. The problem persists.

It's literally been going on for years, regardless of what OS I am running.

Is it simply a faulty model?

I cannot even watch movies or play games, and even basic documents are difficult to work with because of the frequency of freezing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It is hard to say that is just a faulty model, there could be a lot of reasons why your systems is crashing. Now that you have tried our driver with no success, I just want to know; have you reported this issue to ASRock? This is in case they have some reports or possible workarounds.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
CConn7
Beginner

Thank you so much for the prompt response, Amy. Yes, I have checked with ASRock. I also tried a friend's processor briefly, and it worked without issues. It was a slightly upgraded but socket 1150 CPU from what I have.

As far as the RAM settings... WAY ahead of you. I tried that off and on for years, changing the voltage, under-clocking the CPU via various BIOS settings... re-setting to defaults... trying with just half the RAM...

It simply has to be a matter of incompetence by the hardware/software engineers. I cannot think of another explanation, other than that Intel ripped me off knowingly sending out a faulty CPU. It's going on, as I've said multiple times in this forum, Windows forums, motherboard forums, etc... and nobody, even those with the same problem, have come up with a solution.

When I spent the little money I had on a CPU to propel me through grad school, I bought into the Intel brand, with confidence, as far as security, stability, and functionality... and none of it has been delivered. 3 years, again, I repeat. I see no other solution at this point than to pursue my case with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), as your firm's claims of being able to play games, produce office documents, and watch videos, have proven completely false.

This has been the worst technical experience I have possibly imagined. I just want to possibly get a refund, some sort of compensation, and NEVER EVER in a MILLION years, deal with Intel's lack of competency, and particularly, the lack of respect for patient customers (again... 3 years!). I missed out on a Skype job interview today, for a job that pays money I need desperately.

I am indeed working on a business profile of poor customer service and response... I am a college lecturer, teach hundreds of students per quarter, and as far as our lesson on customer service, use this case as an example of "what NOT to do." I am completely open to a resolution/refund. I just wish the last few years using your product, which I had faith in due to your advertising claims, can be compensated for.

I'm not angry at Intel, just simply frustrated at this point, and have a motivation to warn all my students and business customers to NEVER EVER do business with a firm that does NOT resolve an issue over the course of multiple years.

Amy, your feedback is much appreciated, and I thank you very much. I'm just simply at the end of my line with Intel CPUs, as it's been a LONG and incredibly frustrating 3 years. This incident will be used as an example in my classes, posted on reddit, Tomshardware, and a plethora of multiple tech support sites.

The lack of competency here is... INCREDIBLE, and I'm just waiting for the BBB to send me their response. Nothing against you, Amy, but your firm designed a terrible product and neglected to support it, like they said in their advertising "claims," which I now realize were completely false and fraudulent. The computer froze ~50 times during this response, by the way.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/105364 CJM, thank you for taking the time to share this with us and let me apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with your processor. Based on your previous input, it seems that you have done all the possible troubleshooting steps but the issue still persists. I understand that at this stage you do not want to proceed with more troubleshooting steps, so if you want process a refund I would be more than happy to help you.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi CJM,

I am really sorry for all inconveniences you have been through. I have sent you a private message. Please review your inbox.

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi CJM,

I have sent you a new private message.

Mike C

0 Kudos