11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2016 3:14 PM by Intel Corporation

Serious graphics issues with HD 5500 after upgrading to Win 10 1607

Borkar

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T450s with the following core specs:

- Windows 10 Pro x64 1511 [aka Threshold 2] (installed from scratch as 1507 (Threshold 1) and thereafter only updated via Windows Update. System was not upgraded from Win 7/8/or so).

- Intel i7-5600U (2.6Ghz).

- Intel HD Graphics 5500.

- 20GB RAM.

- SanDisk SSD 500GB.

- BIOS 1.25.

- Drivers up-to-date, taken from lenovo.com.

And I got the following problem:

System was running for more than 3/4 of a year very good with Windows 10 Th1 and Th2. Particulaly, there were never any graphic issues on the Desktop, e.g. corrupted graphics or such. However, from time to time (very occasionally, maybe once a month) the display hung for <1sec. and after that Windows reported "Graphics driver has crashed and has been restored". That's why I started to test also drivers from intel.com. But there was no difference.

So, except some very rare display driver crashes (both Lenovo and Intel drivers), everything was alright.

But then I go the 1607 Anniversary Update from Windows Update, and I have installed it.

interestingly, everything still seemd OK for a while (<10 hrs of usage and <10 reboots). But then I started to notice that within some circumstances, the graphics got corrupted and the PC became very(!) slow. There seemed to be a trigger (in my case AIMP 4), and after that the PC was unsuable. the only thing which helped was a reboot.

What exactly happened on the screen? As I've said, Windows become extremely slow (like CPU is busy with 100%, but in fact it was not) and windows (like ALT+F4 shutdown dialogue box) or context boxes (like right click) remained empty (only a 1px frame showed up but with no content).

I have tried different graphics drivers (Lenovo, Intel, Intel beta) but all of them showed this behavior. This occured on both wired and battery operation and was independent on battery saving options (I played around with all of them). I even set BIOS back to defaults but it did not help.

Interestingly, once the PC ran into this corrputed mode, there were only two way to revocer:

- reboot the system, or

- uninstall the Intel drivers.

When the PC was slow and the graphics corrupted, uninstalling the Intel driver helped. So when Windows removed the Intel software and activated its built-in standard VGA driver, the PC was fast again (of course screen resolution was low and the graphic animations not perfectly smooth). After reboot, Windows automatically installed the Intel driver again and again, after the "trigger" (e.g. AIMP) everything started again.

Then there was a comulative update to Win 10 1607, KB3176495 build no. 14393.51. After installing this update, the graphics was already corrupted after reboot. (No trigger required any more). And the graphics issues were even worse. In the start menu, all colors fainted (got darker), the text became black, and other things. After KB3176495, the PC did not get so extremly slow any more, but it still got noticeably slower whatsoever and moreover the graphic corruption was much much more serious! Again, I have tried different graphics drivers and also different graphics setting, but no success.

I was afraid this could be a hardware problem.

However, after reverting back my system to Windows 10 1511, everything works again great. No graphics issues. The PC is super fast. It is just great.

Is there an incompatibility with Windows 10 Anniversary update (1607) and the Intel HD 5500 graphics?

Any valuable feedback is highly appreciated. If you need more information, let me know.

Best,

Borkar

• 1. Re: Serious graphics issues with HD 5500 after upgrading to Win 10 1607
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Borkar,

Please after installing Windows® Anniversary and all drivers’ updates, could you please fill out the information asked in this site?
          https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Also please attach the result of the Intel® System Support Utility
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Regards,
          Hellen.

• 2. Re: Serious graphics issues with HD 5500 after upgrading to Win 10 1607
            Intel Corporation

Hi Borkar,

I was checking this thread and I would like to know if you need further assistance on this matter.

Regards,
            Hellen.

• 3. Re: Serious graphics issues with HD 5500 after upgrading to Win 10 1607
              Borkar

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

See my first post above. See also the video posted below.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%): X (When triggered by e.g. AIMP. See video).

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo Thinkpad T450s

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
              ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Intel HD Graphics 5500 only. No AMD or NV.

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
              LFP
              = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
              EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

20 GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
              ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Full hardware config, please see my first posting above.

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

See attachment.

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 x64 1607 14393.187

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

AIMP 4.1

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

single

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

60p Hz, 1920x1080

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

does not matter

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
              A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. See video below. See also description in my first posting above.

Hi,

after almost every hardware got a new driver and also BIOS was updated from 1.25 to 1.26, I thought lets give the Anniversary Update another try. But unfortunately, the bug still occurs!

I am attaching all requested documents. i am also linkting a video I did just before where you can see this bug live.

YouTube

or here

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av8rmZ4yaBkYg8EqSPQ5DztMxIYGXA

First, everything is very responsive and no graphics bug occurs. After the "trigger" (in my case AIMP, but I believe there might be also other triggers), the graphics goes completely crazy. I open up the same windows before and after the bug. The difference is obvious!

Please have a look into this and fix it. It totally freaks me out on a 2000€+ laptop. In a few days I will uninstall the Anniversary Update again. Because without, everything works just perfectly.

Best regards,

Martin

• 4. Re: Serious graphics issues with HD 5500 after upgrading to Win 10 1607
                Intel Corporation

Hi Borkar,

Thanks for the information; I’ll investigate about this, as soon as I get an answer let you know.

Regards,
                Hellen.

• 5. Re: Serious graphics issues with HD 5500 after upgrading to Win 10 1607
                  Borkar

Btw, even after yesterdays Windows update and Intels beta driver 4530 the bug is still there.

• 6. Re: Serious graphics issues with HD 5500 after upgrading to Win 10 1607
                    Borkar

Hi,

I found out that if I disable the semitransparency option in AIMP,

Semitransparency.png

the graphics issues cannot be triggered by AIMP any more. So the bug apprears to be gone.

But sill, I do not blame AIMP because in 1511 it works perfectly and with 1607 it causes Windows 10 to become unusable. So what happened in this update so my expensive laptop cannot even run AIMP any more?

I will also do a posting in the AIMP forums but I believe there should be a fix to this on a general level (Windows, graphics, driver, or something).

PS: I have noted in my first posting that even the start menu looked odd with disappearing icons etc. This seems to be fixed with some of the recent updates, the start menu had worked nicely since I updgard to 1607 some days ago again.

• 7. Re: Serious graphics issues with HD 5500 after upgrading to Win 10 1607
                      Intel Corporation

Hi Borkar,

In regards to your graphics issue; let me know if you tested your Lenovo computer with our generic graphics driver 4501. The Beta driver 4530 is intended for Gear of War 4.

I suggest you to install the driver using the instructions below:

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1 v. 4501
                      https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26228/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=86210

1-Download the zip file of the driver from downloadcenter, unzip and keep the file on the desktop.
                      2-Turn Internet connection off
                      3-Go to device manager>Display Adapter, right click Intel HD graphics and select uninstall driver (check delete box)
                      4-Restart the computer
                      5-Go to device manager>Display Adapter, right click over Microsoft generic driver select Update driver, browse, search for graphics folder at desktop (step 1)
                      6-Restart system and review graphics driver version installed from device manager or Graphics control Panel.

Try your PC using Windows Media Player or similar and compare it with AIMP 4.

If the problem continues, I would appreciate if you can send me pictures of the issue.

Mike C

• 8. Re: Serious graphics issues with HD 5500 after upgrading to Win 10 1607
                        Borkar

Hi,

thanks for your help. This driver, 4501, I had tried previously with no success. The bug was also there.

What makes me suspicious is that there is not a problem at all with 1511 and reproduceable buggy in 1607 with any driver I could find. Microsoft must have changed something in a way it messed up this graphics feature.

The best way to get an idea of this bug is to watch the movie I posted above. The "funny" thing is that after AIMP makes my Windows go crazy, it remains in this state even after I closed AIMP. The only way to recover is to reboot.

• 9. Re: Serious graphics issues with HD 5500 after upgrading to Win 10 1607
                          Intel Corporation

Hi Borkar,

Are you getting the same issue with any other media players?

Mike C

• 10. Re: Serious graphics issues with HD 5500 after upgrading to Win 10 1607
                            Borkar

Hi,

nice question. i have just checked Windows Media Player and I do not get this bug. I suppose AIMP uses a graphics function which became buggy in 1607.

I made a call in the AIMP forums.

[+] [1839] per-pixel semitransparency causes Windows 10 1607 to go crazy

The developer did not seem very optimistic.

When I first installed 1607 beginning of August I also had other graphics problems with the start menu (with or without AIMP). Those are now gone, but I still feel like this is a general issue and nothing related to AIMP only (although I have not found another program so far which triggers this bug).

• 11. Re: Serious graphics issues with HD 5500 after upgrading to Win 10 1607
                              Intel Corporation

Hi Borkar,

Thank you for your update; It seems to be an application issue, let’s wait for an update of the Audio player soon.

Mike C