4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 6:52 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC5CPYH Ubuntu installation

Jonathan_Miller

I recently had a NUC5CPYH leftover, and so decided to use it at my home office (allowing my MacPro to be moved to my office and for me to be less reliant on my MacbookPro). I was formerly a (windows) PC enthusiast and built a number of Ubuntu and Windows systems but was lured away by the ease of OS X and the BSD kernel.

I brought it home but have not been able to install ubuntu on it. I have tried 2-3 different attempts at making a USB Ubuntu boot stick. I have done this before but it was long ago. I have basically used UNetbootin and the latest version of Ubuntu Live. The Bios in the NUC is not the latest but close (50).

I can't really test the USB Ubuntu book stick because I only use OS X, but everything appears there.

When I put it into the NUC, I can see the USB drive as a boot option but I get:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device

or Inset Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

(that is after I remove network boot as an option)

I can access the settings screen without difficulty and the UEFI shell. However, I do not know how to use the UEFI shell so other than going and looking at the USB flash drive and seeing that everything is there, I do not know what to do. I only have WiFi, so can't use the network boot easily (and have no experience with it...). The keyboard, mouse and monitor all seem to be working correctly.

The main uses I use my home office for (other than keynote/etc that I usually use my laptop for) is as a terminal for a computer cluster and for internet. I think that this NUC should be capable for that.