1 2 3 4 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 2:49 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback

K24A3

NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback

I bought a NUC6i7KYK yesterday and it completely freezes up in the first 30 minutes, but only when I play video.

It doesn't freeze when I play a game or stress the CPU.

It doesnt freeze or give errors when I run Memtest (EFI version) overnight.

However, the strange thing is that it consistently freezes when I play a video using a .NET app that uses the WPF MediaKit Library to play DirectShow within .NET.

I think it is using LAVFilters to decode because I also have Media Portal installed, which installs LAVFilters. I haven't installed any other codecs.

WPF MediaKit: GitHub - Sascha-L/WPF-MediaKit (the library has a test app you can use to play video)

LAVFilters: LAV Filters 0.68.1.31 Free Download

Media Portal (I use MP1 v1.11) Download MediaPortal for free! - MEDIAPORTAL

If I play video using MediaPlayerClassic, the system doesn't freeze as much (only once so far). I think MPC-HC uses its own video codecs to decode.

When it froze using MediaPlayerClassic, the video slowed down to a craw and then stopped and the app completely froze. I then tried to open Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar, but when I clicked on "Task Manager", the menu slowly went away leaving the Task Manager button hovering in mid air. I then tried to open the Start Menu, it appeared once, then next time it didnt appear at all. Windows itself was now completely frozen up.

This sounds like the same problem the person playing DOTA2 saw happen.

I tried increasing the RAM timing in the BIOS and also disabled that RAM Latency enhancement option, and also disabled PCIe ASPM power management, disabled Thunderbolt and a few other devices, but that just made things worse. It now freezes within two minutes of playing a video.

I tried updating the BIOS (037) and graphics driver to the latest (4481), made no difference.

I tried updating LAVFilters, no luck.

I have the exact same software and codecs running on two other Intel PC's (Haswell Desktop, Ivy Bridge notebook), no problem at all.

System information

SSD: Toshiba M.2 512GB
      RAM: 1x 8GB Kingston ValueRAM KVR21S15S8/8 (in bottom slot)

Monitor: HDMI LG superwide curved LCD (High res but not 4K)

Video format played: DTV recordings in MPEG2 TS format

....so is it a GPU Iris video acceleration problem? Or RAM compatibility problem? GPU Driver problem? BIOS glitch?

UPDATE:

I tried using FFDShow, still freezes.

I tried using Intel QSV rendering, still freezes.

I tried using DXVA acceleration, still freezes.

To me it seems to be a problem with the Iris Pro GPU or driver. I'm guessing it's a memory leak in the driver or cache problem in the GPU.

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello K24A3:

Thank you very much for providing the links above.

Since the latest BIOS version 0037 and the latest version for the graphics driver 4481 are already installed, the next thing that we can try is to replicate the issue in our lab, in order to find out is this is a hardware problem or not.

Do you have a link where we can get the videos?

Which resolution are you using?

Did you noticed if the NUC is getting overheated?

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback
            K24A3

Hi Alberto,

Thank you for looking into this issue.
            I am willing to test beta drivers and change BIOS settings etc.. to figure out the problem.

When I get home I will upload a sample video. Video Resolution is SD (576p) and HD (1080p).
            But there is nothing really special about the video, its just a standard DTV TS recording. A normal MPEG2 video may be sufficient for testing.
            I also play MKV files (compressed H.264 DTV recordings), but I need to confirm that these also freeze the system.

Monitor resolution is 3440 x 1440 over HDMI (1.4 I believe). I tried installing the HDMI 2.0 firmware but it gave an error, so I dont think the monitor is 2.0.
            I will try changing the resolution to 1080p and report back.

I don't notice the NUC getting hot at all, fan is not noisy. I will check the temperature and fan speed and report back.
            CPU Stress test (PI calculation) of all four cores reached 96 celcius, 100% stable.

A compiled test app is available in the link below, click on Download to download v1.5. In the ZIP is SampleApplication.exe.
            The .NET app that uses this media kit is my own app I created, it uses the same WPF Media Kit as in this sample app. so it should give the same results. I will confirm that this sample app also freezes the system later today.

WPF MediaKit - For webcam, DVD and custom video support in WPF - Home

You probably dont need to install MediaPortal or LAVFilters, because the system froze when I used FFDShow to do the rendering via the WPF MediaKit. I only use Media Portal to record DTV, I dont use the front end interface.
            I know it was rendering using FFDShow because I can see the red FFDShow video icon and blue FFDShow audio icon in the system tray when the video is played.

Devices attached to the NUC:

LG HDMI Monitor
            Logitech bluetooth keyboard.

Logitech Wireless mouse via its own USB dongle.
            Ethernet LAN connected to a Desktop.
            USB SATA external SSD (it freezes without this connected). By the way, it gives a device manager error when connected to a rear port. works fine in the front port.

ps. I have ordered some new RAM recommended for this NUC on the Intel site. I will report back once I receive and test it.
            16GB:  2x  Crucial Memory 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4 SODIMM 2133MHz - CT8G4SFD8213

ps. It was also freezing with the Windows Update supplied Intel GPU driver (I think it was 447x). I am not overclocking anything.

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback
              K24A3

Update

I have confirmed it freezes in the WPF MediaKit SampleApplication.exe from here https://communities.intel.com/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwpfmediakit.codeplex.com%2F

I also confirmed that it freezes with MKV (H.264) video as well. Compressed using Handbrake and x264.

Ch7 olympics (1080p) TS = freeze (My App)

Ch7 olympics (576p) TS = freeze (My App)

Ch7 olympics (1080p) TS = freeze (SampleApplication.exe)

Ch7 olympics (1440x816) MKV =  freeze (My App)

The TS files always take between 5 minutes to 35 minutes to freeze. I cannot get a TS to play longer, it always freezes every time.

The MKV file took much longer to freeze. About 95 minutes+.

Playing the same TS files in my app on my Haswell Desktop never freezes.

ps. My App is basically a modified version of SampleApplication.exe with a graphical file browser added.

When it froze in SampleApplication.exe, it was windowed at the time and I had HWMonitor sitting on the desktop. HWMonitor showed the CPU temperature frozen at 67c. NUC cover was luke warm.

Again, I was able to open the Start Menu once, and move frozen apps around the desktop, until the Windows GUI gave up and completely froze itself (30 seconds later).

So it seems the whole graphics pipeline/driver eventually craws to a halt after the video freezes.

ps. Intel chipset driver = 10.1.1.33 (2016-07-12)

It is very difficult to get it to freeze in MediaPlayerClassic, it only happened once. I can play a TS file for many hours, no problem. I guess MPC-HC uses less GPU/CPU acceleration.

I have installed VLC but yet to test it extensively. So far it played for 2 hours no problem.

I have uploaded the smallest TS file I have (the one that froze in SampleApplication.exe), it is 2GB.

VideoSample_NIC6i7KYK_Freeze (K24A3).ts - Google Drive

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback
                Intel Corporation

Hello K24A3:

Thank you very much for letting us know all those details, and all the troubleshoot steps that you perform, that information will be really useful for us to further assist you, we really appreciate the fact that you took the time to post it on the thread.

Just to make sure:

Did you try the BIOS update to 0037?

Did you try the beta driver?

Did you get the new memory RAM?

Is the following the one where we can download your application?

https://wpfmediakit.codeplex.com/

In addition, we are doing an investigation on this case, but based on the information you gave us so far, it seems that the problem could be related to the application that you are using to play the videos, because when the issue is related to the hardware or software, in those cases the issue happens all the time, and as you mentioned above, the videos are working fine if you use VLC or MediaPlayerClassic, that is why it seems that the problem is related to the application itself.

Alberto

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback
                  K24A3

Did you try the BIOS update to 0037?

- it definitely has 0037, confirmed in CPU-Z. It already had 0037 out of the box.

Did you try the beta driver?

- I have not tried any beta drivers. I will try later today.

Did you get the new memory RAM?

- It arrived today, I will install it later today.

Is the following the one where we can download your application?

- My app is not downloadable, however you can download the sample app from WPF MediaKit - For webcam, DVD and custom video support in WPF - Home

- The sample app freezes the same as my app because both use WPF Mediakit to play video.

Is the WPFMediaKit the main cause of the problem?

- I dont think so because MediaPlayerClassic (MPC-HC) also froze the system, only once though. It took a long time for MPC-HC to freeze when it did.

- When MPC froze, it did the same thing as the sampleapplication.exe. The Windows GUI slowly froze up over about 30 seconds.

It is possible that WPFMediaKit has a memory leak or something, causing the graphics driver to freeze up faster than other video apps. This may explain why it happens so much quicker than MPC-HC.

Note that WPFMediaKit works perfectly fine on a few other machines, two of them use Intel graphics (non-skylake), one uses nVidia.

Even if WPFMediaKit does have a memory leak, shouldn't the graphics driver handle it (throw an exception to the app/codec) instead of freeze Windows?

Next steps:

I am running VLC in a loop playing a TS for 10 hours. I will see if it has frozen the system when I get home.

I have a Skylake notebook here, it is a 6600U with HD 520 graphics. Not an Iris, but I will test the video using sampleapplication.exe anyway.

Test the beta display driver.

Test the new RAM.

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback
                    Intel Corporation

Hello K24A3:

Thank you very much once again for providing those valuable details.

In regard to your question, about the graphics driver handling the memory leak, it is not necessarily the case, sometimes might be able to do so, but that will also depend on the media player that it is being used, as you mentioned above, the behavior is different depending on the video player.

Perfect, once you get the chance please try all those tests and let us know the results.

Any questions, please let me know

Alberto

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback
                      K24A3

Hi Alberto,

Can you provide a link for the new 15.45.2.xxxx beta driver?

There is no beta driver under this NUC driver list. Latest is 15.45.2.4481 (7/25/2016).

Drivers & Software

The beta driver under the general 580 driver list here has an earlier revision and date than 4481, it is 15.40.26.4474 (6/24/2016)

Drivers & Software

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback
                        K24A3

Update

New RAM

- still freezes

Updated WPFMediaKit in my app to latest build from github (mem leak was fixed in new build)

- still freezes

Tested the new updated Sample App in the WPF MediaKit library

- still freezes

Reset BIOS to defaults

- still freezes

Tried EVR rendering instead of VMR9 (in WPF MediaKit)

- still freezes

* Skylake 6600U notebook didnt freeze in the sample app and LAVFilters.

* NUC VLC 10 hour TS playback test didnt freeze.

* Couldn't find a suitable beta display driver.

* Triple checked the BIOS version, CPU-Z reports "KYSKLi70.86A.0037.2016.0603.1032", Date "06/03/2016"

I wander if its LAVFilters, because I installed FFDShow (with MPEG2 ticked) on the Skylake notebook and it couldnt play the TS. As soon as I installed LAVFilters it played fine. Despite the FFDShow audio and video icon appearing in the system tray on the NUC, WPF MediaKit may be using other parts of LAVFilters (splitter for example).

LAVFilters may have a bug with the Iris 580 GPU only. Perhaps it uses some fancy new SSE functions or something. Works fine on all other non-Iris machines I've tested.

I can set MediaPlayerClassic to use LAVFilters, I'll try that next.

I'll also try removing LAVFilters and using an alternative.

• 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback
                          Intel Corporation

Hello K24A3:

Thank you very much for that information, based on that, now we know it is not related to the memory RAM.

Yes, that was the beta driver I was referring the 4474, I am sorry, I thought I gave you the link for it.

So, if that driver still does not work, and the BIOS is up to date, the problem might be related to the video player or to the LAVFilters as you mentioned before, maybe you need to install those.

I will download the WPF MediaKit from the following link:

https://wpfmediakit.codeplex.com/releases/view/21215

I will get a 1080p video to verify if we can replicate the issue.

As soon as I get any results, I will post all the details on this thread.

Alberto

• 10. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback
                            K24A3

I appreciate the help with this Alberto.

I'd rather not return the NUC because it's a great little unit. The primary reason for buying it is to run my app on it, which is quite a large app jam packed with HTPC functions, so I can't really just revert to MPC or VLC.

The sample app binary from codeplex is fine for testing.

You can download a TS file from here VideoSample_NIC6i7KYK_Freeze (K24A3).ts - Google Drive

I will try the beta driver and the other things later today.

• 11. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback
                              Intel Corporation

Hello K24A3:

Perfect, please let us know the results of trying that driver.

I will use the sample from the link you just gave me, and I will report the results on this thread.

Alberto

• 12. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback
                                K24A3

Haven't had a chance to do much more testing except for trying the beta driver, it still freezes with 4474.

I think I've narrowed the problem down to three possibilities:

LAVFilters bug with Iris

Fault NUC

Graphics Driver issue

MPC froze that one time which gives me doubts its a problem with WPF Media Kit specifically.

But anything is possible so I will continue testing tomorrow. I'll try LAVFilters in MPC next.

I'll also try the MediaPortal front-end, coded in c# .NET, which has it's own .NET Directshow interop library similar to WPF MediaKit's implementation except for WPF.

If you can replicate the issue on your NUC, we can rule out a faulty NUC.

• 13. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello K24A3:

Perfect, continue with the testing and let us know the results.

I tried to replicate the issue, so I downloaded the WPF MediaKit and I tried a 1080p videos from the following link:

http://www.divx.com/en/devices/profiles/video

I test the Intel® NUC6i7KYK NUC with Micayala Gatto, Amos TV and Fashion videos and they all work fine, there was no freezing at all.

So, based on that, the problem does not seemed to be related to the NUC.

Alberto

• 14. Re: NUC6i7KYK freezes during Video playback
                                    K24A3

Hi Alberto,

Did you have LAVFilters 32bit installed?

Codecs.com | Downloads for LAV Filters 0.68.1.31

Did you try a TS file?

Other formats may take much longer to freeze, if at all.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next