7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 10:11 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7KYK WiFi Disabled

Dewg

Just purchased NUC6i7KYK. Added Crucial 8GB ram and Samsung PRO 950 256GB m.2. Installed W10 clean from USB (build 1608). The WiFi was picked up by the os and I joined my network. However the WiFi stops working after a minute or two, with the device becoming disabled. Installed chipset drivers, BIOS update, and WiFi drivers. Same problem.

Event log shows the WiFi card asked to be reset, but just ended up disabling. Can't re-enable either. A restart brings it back for a few mins. When WiFi dies, the system performs poorly, with windows hanging for some time on close. Like Task Manager, Network Sharing Center, etc. System also takes some time to shut down or restart, sometimes requiring a forced power off.

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK WiFi Disabled
          Dewg

Okay - I've solved it.  Here's what I found:

When I first installed the system, I went into BIOS and enabled Secure Boot (as it was disabled by default).  Then installed Windows 10 AU (from USB Media Creation).  Had the WiFi issues above.  I rebuild the system, reinstalling Windows from scratch.  Same problem.

Out of desperation I went into BIOS and restored to defaults (disabling Secure Boot).  I also disabled Thunderbolt, and the SD Card Reader as I don't plan on using them.

When I restarted the PC - Windows created a new WiFi card (adapter #2), and the system has been stable since.  No more hangs or WiFi disabling.

All I can surmise is that Secure Boot caused a problem with the driver?  I don't imagine disabling Thunderbolt or SD Card Reader in BIOS would have created a new WiFi card...  dunno.

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK WiFi Disabled
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Dewg,

Thanks for sharing with us this experience; what I have noticed is that after installing this new version of OS it’s necessary to install all drivers again.

Regards,
            Hellen.

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK WiFi Disabled
              Dewg

Unfortunately that didn't work.  This was a clean install of Windows 10 w/Anniversary already installed - created via the Media Creation Tool on USB.  With Secure Boot enabled in BIOS, the built-in WiFi driver hangs after some time.  Trying to install the Intel Wireless driver causes the system to hang if the WiFi had already disabled itself.  If you install immediately after booting the system, while WiFi is still enabled and working, the new driver installs, however it too hangs after some time.  Both cases show that the WiFi card is disabled in "Change Adapter Settings" of Network Sharing Center.  Device manager shows the card is enabled.

Checking the Event Log shows that the WiFi card requested a reset.

Disabling Secure Boot in BIOS seemed to solve it for me - it caused Windows to create a new WiFi card, as my Wireless Network now showed #2 next to its name.

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK WiFi Disabled
                Intel Corporation

Hi Dewg,

Please follow these steps and let me know the outcome:

Hope this helps

Regards,
                Hellen.
                • 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK WiFi Disabled
                  Dewg

As part of my troubleshooting initially I had removed the devices from Device Manager.  That didn't help.  Nor did the new drivers.

Here is my testing:

I reset the BIOS to defaults and installed Windows 10 (1607 build) from scratch.  No problems, even with the built-in WiFi drivers (didn't even have to install the Intel drivers).  The only thing I installed with the Chipset and Iris drivers - left the rest as MS drivers.  No problems - system is running smoothly.

Then I went into BIOS and enabled Secure Boot.  Re-installed Windows 10 (1607 build) from scratch.  Built-in WiFi failed after a few minutes.  Shows I'm still connected to my wireless network, but has a triangle on the connection saying "No internet access".  When you go into Adapter Settings, it shows Ethernet unplugged (I don't have one connected), and WiFi is greyed out as Disabled.  If I attempt to enable WiFi, it says "Enabled", but remains greyed out and disabled.  If I go into Device Manager it shows the WiFi card is there and enabled.  Any attempt to do anything network related causes the processes to hang.  Example:  try changing network settings (IP address, disable IPv6, etc.).  Try to install the Intel WiFi drivers - the program starts to install, but hangs mid-install and does not recover.  I left it for 10 mins before forcing it closed.  Attempting to restart the PC or shut it down hangs as well.  I end up having to hard down the NUC.

I then went back into BIOS and disabled Secure Boot.  Restarted the PC.  Windows loaded and created a new WiFi card (I'm guessing), as it connected to my wireless network as #2 (which usually happens when you put a new NIC in).  Then it's stable.

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK WiFi Disabled
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Dewg,

Did you test it just enabling the Secure Boot, without reinstalling the OS?

Regards,
                    Hellen.

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK WiFi Disabled
                      Intel Corporation

Hi Dewg,

I have been checking this thread and I was wondering if you need further assistance on this matter.

Regards,
                      Hellen.