1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 12:54 PM by jpalic

NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update

jpalic

We have about 1,000 NUC5PGYH units deployed (Windows 10 64 bit) and they all seem to have this issue.  Specifically when Windows Update has to reboot a 2nd time after installing updates.  When Windows Update installs updates and then reboots, all is well.  When Windows Update downloads updates, reboots, then installs updates (e.g. "Don't turn off your computer" then 10%,20% etc messages) and then reboots again is when the issue occurs.  The system is in an unresponsive state with no display on the monitor but the power light is on and the fan will run.  Keyboard does nothing.  Wake On LAN does not wake.  The "fix" is to power cycle either by holding the power button down for five seconds or pulling the power plug out.  When the power is turned on the computer boots just fine.

I assume that when the computer reboots and Windows Update loads the system is running a stripped down kernel.  There's something about the Windows Update shutdown process in this state that isn't working quite right. 

Thanks,

Jim

• 1. Re: NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Jpalic,

What’s your BIOS version?
          Are the Intel® NUCs set to run as Fast boot or Security boot?

Regards,
          Hellen.

• 2. Re: NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update
            jpalic

Hellen,

Secure Boot is not enabled in the BIOS.  And Fast Boot is disabled in Windows 10.

Most of the fleet is running on BIOS version GYBSWCEL.86A.0043.2015.0904.1904

The hard part about this is that I haven't figured out how to reproduce the problem even though every Patch Tuesday that requires a double reboot of the systems results in approximately a seemingly random half of them failing to completely shutdown after the 2nd reboot thus requiring manual intervention to complete the update cycle.

Jim

• 3. Re: NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update
              Intel Corporation

Hi Jpalic,

It is important to mention that your system has to be updated before Windows® anniversary update, I noticed that the BIOS version you are using is 0043 – 9/4/15. Please try to update the BIOS in this order:

BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC:
              http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005636.html

0044: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25431/

0048: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25674/

0053: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25922/

0054: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25991/

After that please install the latest Chipset driver version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26128/

Hope this helps,
              Please let me know the outcome.

Regards,
              Hellen.

• 4. Re: NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update
                jpalic

Helllen,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I would point out that we currently have approximately 600 NUC's deployed and are may eventually have approximately 1,800 deployed.  The NUCs that we recently ordered and received are arriving with BIOS 43.  Quite honestly, I don't see us performing five sequential BIOS upgrades on all of these NUCs.  I'd probably just shut down Windows Updates to avoid the reboot issue because I don't have the manpower to touch each and every NUC by hand.

We have been collecting data on whether or not the systems reboot successfully since about July 11tth. There have been two Windows Update Patch Tuesday events since we have started data collection - July and August.  That gives us four sets of results (for systems that reported in both July and August) based on the reboot after Patch Tuesday:

12 systems successfully rebooted in both July and August

17 systems were successful in July but failed in August

7 systems failed in July but were successful in August

23 systems failed both in July and August.

There is no consistency in results since we have systems that worked once then failed and systems that failed once then worked the next time.   These are all configured identically because we an image-based setup process.  As far as the hardware goes, all the systems were acquired in April and May of 2016. I'm finding that the configuration are the same for any that I have looked at.

Below is a section of a spreadsheet that we put together for tracking.  I added the BIOS, Chipset and version info on two systems by hand since we don't currently have an automated way of collecting this.  But, what is interesting is that CTCHAI was successful in both July and August while DEWIGS1 failed in both July and August yet both seem to have the same BIOS, Chipset and driver configuration.

NameSerialJul WUAug WUBIOSChipsetReadyModeBluetoothGraphicsProSet WirelessSecurity AssistITE InfraredTrusted ExecutionRealtek EthernetRealtek Audio
                CAORAIG6GY5470005ESuccessFailed
                CTCHAIG6GY547002QLSuccessSuccessGYBSWCEL.86A.0043.2015.0904.190410.1.1.91.1.70.51417.1.1525.144320.19.15.433118.11.01.0.0.5231.01.00002.0.0.106710.2.703.20156.0.1.7571
                CTRHAS2G6GY547002ZXFailedSuccess
                DEWIGS1G6GY547002NKFailedFailedGYBSWCEL.86A.0043.2015.0904.190410.1.1.91.1.70.51417.1.1525.144320.19.15.433118.11.01.0.0.5231.01.00002.0.0.106710.2.703.20156.0.1.7571

My plan is to put the latest BIOS and drivers on the systems that I have direct access to before the next Patch Tuesday update and see what happens.

Jim

• 5. Re: NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Jpalic,

Thanks for this information, I’ll be waiting for any update on this matter, let me know if there is something else I could do for you.

Regards,
                  Hellen.

• 6. Re: NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update
                    lw1948

Hi jpalic

Are you using wireless keyboard? I've founded in one of my computers that Logitech unified receiver is causing Windows stuck (with swinging dot circle) in endless loop after boot. It happened during update to version 1607. I've switched the PC to OFF, removed this receiver and switched the PC ON again. The was update finished successfully. After the PC was updated, the Logitech receiver is not disturbing the boot process.

• 7. Re: NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update
                      jpalic

lw1948,

No wireless peripherals are in use with these systems - all keyboards and mice are USB.

Jim

• 8. Re: NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Jpalic,

Thought I would just check in and find out if you were able to resolve this problem.

Regards,
                        Hellen.

• 9. Re: NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update
                          jpalic

Hellen,

We have not been able to resolve the issue.  Updating the BIOS and chipset drivers didn't resolve the problem.  Nearly every NUC that we have deployed has had the issue of getting stuck on shutdown but it doesn't happen every shutdown. Whatever the root cause might be, it's seems to be related to some unknown variable - I'm wondering now if perhaps power management may play a role in the situation.

I had a theory that perhaps the length of time that the system had been running might play a role and I started to collect data on that topic.  An analysis of data collected so far seems to not support that theory though.

The other complicating factor is that we're moving through the update to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition (Build 1607) This is a significant update and involves several reboots any of which may cause the computer to refuse to shutdown.

Jim

• 10. Re: NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update
                            Intel Corporation

Hi Jpalic,

Let’s do this test with one of the Intel® NUCs, Please try a clean installation of Windows®10, there could be a loss of information on windows. Testing this and updating the Intel® NUCs drivers please let me know it goes.

Here is the order of the drivers update:

Intel® Chipset Device Software for Intel® NUC:
                            https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26128/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Intel-NUC

Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 for Intel® NUC Kits NUC5[x]PY/NUC5PGY:
                            https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25645/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC-Kits-NUC5-x-PY-NUC5PGY

Regards,
                            Hellen.

• 11. Re: NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update
                              Intel Corporation

Hi Jpalic,

I was wondering if the information provided helps you.

Regards,
                              Hellen.

• 12. Re: NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update
                                jpalic

Hellen,

We have updated a few NUCs with the latest BIOS and Chipset drivers.  These systems still occasionally fail to shutdown on restart when doing Windows Updates.  The updated drivers don't seem to have helped solve the issue.

Since we have 800+ of the NUCs in service and they uniformly exhibit the same occasional refusal to shutdown during Windows Update, it seems unlikely that it's a random bad load of Windows.  Unless we assume that Windows as loaded from the factory is defective, it doesn't seem like a high probability avenue to explore.

Jim

• 13. Re: NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update
                                  Intel Corporation

Hi Jpalic,

We are investigating about this. As soon as I get an answer I’ll let you know.

Best Regards,
                                  Hellen.

• 14. Re: NUC5PGYH won't reboot after Windows 10 Update
                                    rguevara

Hi jpalic,

This is a pretty difficult issue to address as there are too many variables, I have some ideas to narrow down the issue though

On the hardware side, I would recommend to look at the SA number on the back of the units and make a list of affected units, if you have 800+ units running perhaps you have implemented an inventory system and you could also list the memory and storage brand/model/type of the units exhibiting the issue. Also, do you have any additional hardware connected to the systems affected? Anything different than regular devices such as keyboard/mouse?

On the software side I did a quick search on Internet and there are a lot of similar issues being reported on all kind of systems, this is probably the reason why it is very difficult to identify the cause of this issue, therefore lots of questions:

- Are the systems exhibiting the issue, the same units always having problems when running updates?

- Any major update that you can report that got issues and at what percentage of the process?

- Any error message or code when this issue happens? Any log file?

- Have you try contacting Microsoft*? They could recommend additional debugging tools to identify the issue?

And finally, any possible internet issue that could have affected the update process? Update packages are pretty large and file corruption is pretty easy.

I hope some of this helps,

Ronny G

1 2 Previous Next