1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2016 11:00 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary

phw

I can't install Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniverary because it says the kernel driver isn't signed.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/07/31/2146234/all-windows-10-kernel-mode-drivers-must-be-digitally-signed-by-microsof…

In event viewer it says:

"The iocbios2 service failed to start due to the following error:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source."

Is there a newer version than 6.1.2.8 that fixes this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello phw:

I just wanted to let you know that we replicate the issue in our lab, and we installed Windows® 10 from scratch, and after that we did the Windows® 10 anniversary update and the XTU got installed with no problems at all.

Also, we did just the Windows® 10 anniversary update on a PC that already had Windows® 10 installed, and the results were the same, XTU got installed with no digitally sign driver needed.

Currently this issue is under investigation, and as soon as I get any updates on it, I will post all the details on this thread.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary
            phw

It was already reporting that the driver wasn't signed and I uninstalled XTU then used the following iso to refresh windows 10 pro

//
            // File Checksum Integrity Verifier version 2.05.
            //
            47d274a604e38b8b80b47630beaa8ffcc7d2980d win10_1607_englishinternational_x64.iso

This is also known as: en-gb_windows_10_multiple_editions_version_1607_updated_jul_2016_x64_dvd_9058848.iso

I tried to reinstall it again and this time I grabbed a copy of the message box

IntelOverclocking.png

So I tried to see if there was a way to install the driver manually & went into the C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Drivers\IocDriver directory. Running the InstallDriver.exe says "failed to load driver", but right clicking iocbios2.inf and selecting install says it was ok. I'm going to reboot now to see if it made any difference.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary
              phw

After trying that and rebooting still puts the same message in the event log about the service being blocked.

I'm going to see if disabling secureboot changes anything

• 4. Re: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary
                DanMat

I confirm the same thing for me, windows 10 anniversary has corrupted everything and nothing works anymore, including XTU ... until yesterday I had no problems, now it will not start.

Downloaded and installed the latest version from the site ... do not install, "failed to start verify that you can start processes" etc etc blah blah ... so it get to 99% of the installation, and then he tells me that cannot start the process ... and remains stopped until I close.

Tell me that you are working on a compatible version with this lousy OS with this even more disgusting update, please .... otherwise recommend me another OC utility that works with Intel!

• 5. Re: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary
                  Intel Corporation

Hello phw:

Thank you very much for those updates.

Go ahead and disable the secureboot and let me know the results.

As soon as I get the resolution from our investigation, I will post all the details on this thread.

Alberto

• 6. Re: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary
                    DanMat

though Alberto ignores me, probably because xenophilous, I have found the solution to many of those in my situation, I post it here so maybe much Googling people can save itself: for all those who receive the 80070643 error or where the installation crashes for reasons of authorizations or signature...you must install the Intel ME upgraded service; after suffering that lousy win 10 anniversary update it works for me, you can found it here: Download Intel® Management Engine (Intel® ME) Software for Systems Based on 3rd Generation Intel® Processors or Above

I tried again the installation of XTU, that failed dozens of times, after updated ME services... and without even restart it was successful in 2 seconds.

• 7. Re: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary
                      phw

I already had Intel Management Engine installed, I've tried multiple versions and none of them make a difference. I also updated the Management Engine firmware by a couple of versions, but that didn't make any difference.

I got rid of the Installation error by disabling secure boot, but the driver gets blocked again as soon as secure boot is enabled again.

After updating to windows 10 anniversary update, kernel drivers need special signing by Microsoft when secure boot is enabled.

The most recent tests were performed on Insider fast track build 14393.67

• 8. Re: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary
                        DanMat

its only a secure boot problem, then...

• 9. Re: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary
                          phw

Secure boot is pretty important when you're using bitlocker.

Windows 10 anniversary enforces a new style kernel driver signing policy when secure boot is enabled.

I'm only getting the problem from XTU and Samsung magician, so it's more likely a problem with these two than something on my end. However if someone can figure out how to prove that or something I can look for then I'm happy to investigate.

• 10. Re: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary
                            Al Hill

I do not know if this is related, but Microsoft has release two patches which deal with Secure boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3177404

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3179577

As reported in SANS Institute | Newsletters - Newsbites  today, it appears these patches are an attempt to correct problems with Secure Boot.

These patches may be related to the issue you are having.  Patches can break things.

Doc

• 11. Re: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary
                              phw

I'll check them out, but they look like microsofts response to this hack that allowed you to disable secureboot on devices that normally prevent you from doing it.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/08/microsoft-secure-boot-firmware-snafu-leaks-golden-key/

• 12. Re: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary
                                phw

My reading of the change is that Microsoft now need to sign the driver, but currently it's signed by Intel and is therefore blocked in some circumstances. It may therefore work for some people, but not for others. I can't turn off secure boot, so I either need a properly signed driver, a driver signed before July 29th 2015 or I need to fresh install a version before 1607 and then upgrade. The problem with that is I can't use 10586 because hardware bitlocker was broken on new installs in that version & I don't have 10240 anymore.

My guess is that more and more people are going to be hitting this issue as they start doing fresh installs with secure boot enabled.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/windows_hardware_certification/2016/07/26/driver-signing-changes-in-windows-10-version-1607/

Last year, we announced that beginning with the release of Windows 10, all new Windows 10 kernel mode drivers must be submitted to the Windows Hardware Developer Center Dashboard portal (Dev Portal) to be digitally signed by Microsoft. However, due to technical and ecosystem readiness issues, this was not enforced by Windows Code Integrity and remained only a policy statement.

Starting with new installations of Windows 10, version 1607, the previously defined driver signing rules will be enforced by the Operating System, and Windows 10, version 1607 will not load any new kernel mode drivers which are not signed by the Dev Portal. OS signing enforcement is only for new OS installations; systems upgraded from an earlier OS to Windows 10, version 1607 will not be affected by this change.

We’re making these changes to help make Windows more secure. These changes limit the risk of an end-user system being compromised by malicious driver software.

If you are a driver developer, here is what you need to do:

1. Ensure that you submit new drivers to Microsoft via the Windows Hardware Developer Center Dashboard portal.
                                2. Begin the process of getting an Extended Validation (EV) Code Signing Certificate. All drivers submitted to the portal must be signed by an EV certificate.

FAQs

What are the exact exceptions? Are cross-signed drivers still valid?Enforcement only happens on fresh installations, with Secure Boot on, and only applies to new kernel mode drivers:

• PCs upgrading from a release of Windows prior to Windows 10 Version 1607 will still permit installation of cross-signed drivers.
                                • PCs with Secure Boot OFF will still permit installation of cross-signed drivers.
                                • Drivers signed with cross-signing certificate issued prior to July 29th 2015, when the initial policy went into place, will continue to be allowed.
                                • To prevent systems from failing to boot properly, boot drivers will not be blocked, but they will be removed by the Program Compatibility Assistant. Future versions of Windows will block boot drivers.

To summarize, on non-upgraded fresh installations of Windows 10, version 1607 with Secure Boot ON, drivers must be signed by Microsoft or with cross-signed certificates issued prior to July 29th, 2015.

• 13. Re: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary
                                  Jonas_Hendrickx

Problem confirmed. XTU fails to install on Windows 10 1607 (AU)

If I install Windows 10 1511 or earlier, and then upgrade to Windows 10 AU, and afterwards installing XTU, that seems to work. But if I do a clean install of Windows 10 AU and then install XTU, it fails, XTU does not work, unless I disable driver signing every time I start my computer.

• 14. Re: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility on Windows 10 Anniversary
                                    Intel Corporation

Hello:

I just wanted to let you all know that I tried to replicate the issue once again, and the results are the following:

Scenario 1:

I used the Windows Media Creation Tool from the following link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

To install a clean version of Windows® 10 with the Anniversary Update 1607 already installed, clear the hard drive where Windows® is currently installed, and do the fresh install, and I was able to install the XTU tool without any problems, no error message at all.

Scenario 2:

I used the Windows Refresh Tool from the following link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh

To start with a clean install of the Anniversary Update, I did not install Windows® 10 from scratch and then update to the Anniversary update, I ran this tool on a NUC that already has the update installed, and the results were the same, I was able to install XTU without any problems, there was no error message: "A digitally signed driver is required for Intel Overclocking Device Driver"

Scenario 3:

I used the ISO file to install Windows® 10 that contains the anniversary update 1607, I used it with Daemon tool® to do a clean installation, I got the tool from the following link the following link: 

http://daemon-tools-lite.en.softonic.com/

And the result was the same, I was able to install the XTU with no problems and no error message.

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

So, based on the information above, I just wanted to verify at which point is when you get the error message.

Is it when you try to install the XTU?

Or you can install it, but when you try to use it, then is when you get the error message?

Alberto

1 2 Previous Next