13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2016 3:30 PM by Intel Corporation

Intel Matrix Storage can't rebuild disk in Windows 10 (RAID5)

ed_paine

For several years I have been happily running a 3-disk RAID5 using Intel Matrix Storage Manager on my office Dell Precision T3500 under Windows 7-64 bit. In May the Microsoft upgrade tool migrated it to Windows 10 (unprompted), and a few weeks later I noticed that the Intel matrix storage console was no longer available, so I can no longer monitor the status of individual disks other than via the BIOS Ctrl-I facility. I can't roll back to Windows 7 because Microsoft has deleted the windows.old data (which I now understand happens after a month).

Last week a disk failure occurred (array degraded notice during startup, slow computer, Error ocurred message by one of the disks), so I have replaced one of the 3 hard drives (WD black 1TB), expecting it to be rebuilt into the array as occurs under Windows 7. This doesn't seem to happen, despite a successful message when the new disk is recognised saying the disk will now be rebuilt in the operating system.

What actually happens is a BSOD immediately after the drive change (I have had two BSODs so far, UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION and KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR). After an error report/reboot all appears fine but the drive never gets rebuilt and on subsequent reboots shows up as an Unknown Disk in the BIOS utility.

Device manager reports my RAID controller (Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller) is on version 8.9.2.1002 from August 2009. I am unsure whether newer versions (I see it is now called Intel RST) will be compatible with my hardware and am nervous to try in case I end up with a brick. I can't find any advice from Intel. Dell won't help because it's an old system. Microsoft, whose fault this is, said they would get back to me within 2 days but their latest response doesn't fill me with confidence ("Sure, I will look for all the possible solution to get this issue fix and I will email it to you once I found any good solution.").

So my immediate question is:

How can I get my replacement disk recognised and rebuilt into the array?

• 1. Re: Intel Matrix Storage can't rebuild disk in Windows 10 (RAID5)
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello ed_paine:

Before we start to try some troubleshoot steps, the very first thing that we need to do will be, if it is possible of course, to back up all the important information that you have on the PC, in order to avoid any loss of it.

In this case, to work with Windows® 10, as you mentioned, you need the IRST, because the Intel® Matrix Storage console is not compatible with it.

The thing is that the IRST, (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) is fully compatible with Intel® 8, 9 and 100 series chipsets, for Windows® 10.

The PC you are using has a 5 series chipset, so the installation of IRST will not work.

So, in order to fix this problem and to be able to rebuild the RAID 5, you can either go back to Windows® 7 on your PC and re-install the Intel® Matrix Storage console to rebuild the RAID 5, or you can connect those 3 hard drives to a different PC, that has already Windows® 10 installed, so you can boot form that hard drive, not from the RAID5, and then install the IRST on it to rebuild the RAID 5.

If you use a different PC, remember that the SATA mode should be set to: RAID.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: Intel Matrix Storage can't rebuild disk in Windows 10 (RAID5)
            ed_paine

Thanks.

I can't (easily) go back to Windows 7.

The idea of moving the physical disks to another Windows 10 PC doesn't work for me because the only ones I have are similar ages.

If I can't get the array rebuilt somehow then I think my next step is to ask Microsoft for a new workstation, since it's now in a state where the next disk failure will be catastrophic.

My processors are: 2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU, W3503 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s). I looked at the system requirements for the latest version of IRST (14.8) and saw that a Xeon processor was okay but didn't look at the series.

I see version 12.9 is the newest to support a "5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI/RAID Controller", if that's what I have. Might it be worth trying to upgrade to that?

I really appreciate your help

Ed

• 3. Re: Intel Matrix Storage can't rebuild disk in Windows 10 (RAID5)
              Intel Corporation

Hello ed_paine:

Thank you very much for that information, we understand that sometimes those options are not available.

In regard to your inquiry, even if the Xeon® processor seems to be fine for IRST 14.8, the problem in that case will be the chipset, the chipset is the one that it is not compatible.

Now, for the other question, yes, you can always try version 12.9, for testing purposes, it might work for this scenario.

But remember, if you have the option, please back up all the important information before you try any other troubleshoot steps.

Alberto

• 4. Re: Intel Matrix Storage can't rebuild disk in Windows 10 (RAID5)
                ed_paine

Dear Alberto

I have made good progress on this issue, despite some of your comments above. This is what I have done:

1. I installed the latest BIOS from Dell (A17 from 2013). This upgraded Matrix Storage to Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) which is now showing an 'Option ROM' version of 10.8.0.1303. I was still unable to rebuild my new third HDD into the array (BSOD CRITICAL_OPTION_DIED after trying). I am not sure whether this step was necessary.

2. I took a deep breath and ran SetupRST.exe from version 12.9.0.1001 available at Intel's download site. I chose this because it supports a series 5 chipset, which you said I had. After a required reboot I received one more BSOD (DEVICE_POWER_STATE_FAILURE), but after a long wait for whatever error reporting Windows 10 does it booted successfully, with the RST console available and functioning. It rebuilt my drive (phew). Device Manager now reports my storage controller as "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller".

So, in summary, IRST console (UI) version 12.9 does run under Windows 10, and it will talk to the older (ROM) drivers I have to rebuild a degraded array.

I haven't tried to upgrade further, although I see other people have managed it by rolling back drivers.

One thing I would like to know is: how do I find out which chipset I am running?

I hope others (and Intel) find this useful.

Ed

• 5. Re: Intel Matrix Storage can't rebuild disk in Windows 10 (RAID5)
                  Intel Corporation

Hello ed_paine:

It is great to hear that you were able to rebuild the RAID 5 and the PC is working fine now.

Thank you very much for sharing all those details, indeed they will be very useful for us in case we get a similar scenario related to RAID 5, and they will be helpful for all the peers viewing this thread that might have the same situation.

In regard to your inquiry, the chipset that the PC is using is the Intel® X58 chipset, as you can confirm on the following link:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/q2wk6_dell_precision_t3500_spec_sheet.pdf

Alberto

• 6. Re: Intel Matrix Storage can't rebuild disk in Windows 10 (RAID5)
                    ed_paine

Update: after the latest Windows 10 update (1607, anniversary) Windows has removed the IRST console (UI) version 12.9 that was running successfully. I had hoped that Intel and Microsoft would have communicated over this and not let it uninstall. As far as I can see my best option will be to try and reinstall IRST console (i.e. run SetupRST.exe from last supported chipset version as I did above), but before I do this I just wondered whether you (Alberto, or anyone else from Intel) think it's a bad idea? If I don't do it I don't think I'll be able to rebuild an array if a disk fails.

Ed

• 7. Re: Intel Matrix Storage can't rebuild disk in Windows 10 (RAID5)
                      Intel Corporation

Hello ed_paine:

In regard to your inquiry, the thing is the IRST version 12.9, does not support Windows® 10, the version that supports it is version 14.8, that you can get from the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver?product=55005

Alberto

• 8. Re: Intel Matrix Storage can't rebuild disk in Windows 10 (RAID5)
                        ed_paine

Dear Alberto

1. IRST version 12.9 works absolutely fine under Windows 10 (as we agreed further up this thread) at least on pre-anniversary builds.

2. Version 14.8 of IRST won't work with my series 5 chipset (as you told me, also in this thread).

Or should I try and install the 14.8 from your link and see what happens? I obviously don't want to end up with an unusable system.

Ed

• 9. Re: Intel Matrix Storage can't rebuild disk in Windows 10 (RAID5)
                          Intel Corporation

Hello ed_paine:

Thank you very much for that information.

Let me apologize for any misinformation, the reason why I told you that the version 12.9 of IRST des not support Windows® 10, was based on the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23932/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-Command-Line-Interface-CLI-

In regard to your inquiry, if the version 12.9 is working properly for you, then there is no reason to try version 14.8, since as we mentioned before it does not support 5 series chipset.

Alberto

• 10. Re: Intel Matrix Storage can't rebuild disk in Windows 10 (RAID5)
                            ed_paine

Dear Alberto

Just to be very clear:

Device Manager still reports my storage controller as "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller", driver version 12.9.0.1001.

Microsoft update has uninstalled my IRST console, as I said in my 11 October post.

As far as I'm aware you have no standalone installer for the console, so all I am asking is whether you can see any reason why I shouldn't just reinstall the whole 12.9 package (SetupRST.exe).

Many thanks, Edward

• 11. Re: Intel Matrix Storage can't rebuild disk in Windows 10 (RAID5)
                              Intel Corporation

Hello ed_paine:

In regard to your question, the thing is that according to our documentation, the version 12.9 of IRST is not compatible with Windows® 10, so, if you install the whole package we actually are not sure if it is going to work.

Since, you were able to use it successfully, we recommend to leave it as it is, since it is working properly.

Based on the above information, if you try to install the whole 12.9 package, different problems might be expected, like the installation might not get completed properly, there might be problems with the RAID configuration that you are using currently, and some feature like rebuilding the RAID might not work.

Alberto

• 12. Re: Intel Matrix Storage can't rebuild disk in Windows 10 (RAID5)
                                ed_paine

Hi Alberto

You say "we recommend to leave it as it is, since it is working properly." Without the software component (which Windows update has just removed) I don't think it will work properly in the case of a disk RAID problem.

At the moment, at startup, if I enter configuration with Ctrl-I, my 3 disks show green, but the RAID itself is showing a message of 'Verify'. How can I verify the RAID without the software component (console)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed

• 13. Re: Intel Matrix Storage can't rebuild disk in Windows 10 (RAID5)
                                  Intel Corporation

Hello ed_paine:

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Yes, I said that because you mentioned IRST version 12.9 works absolutely fine under Windows® 10, so that is why I said leave it as it is.

The thing is that according to our information the 5 series chipset that the PC has is not compatible with Windows® 10.

Somehow you were able to install Windows® 10, so, in that case the IRST version needed is 14.8, but, that will not work neither because according to our information the chipset is not compatible with IRST 14.8.

Based on that, IRST will not work as it should and the same thing with the console, also different kind of problems might be expected.

What we recommend in this case is to back up the important information that you might have on the RAID, and then get a board that has a chipset that fully supports Windows® 10 and IRST 14.8.

Alberto