1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2016 6:23 AM by Intel Corporation

Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103

Boris.Aliyev

Windows Update (on Windows 8.1) is trying to install an update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 and it keeps failing with error code 80070103. I have tried to contact with Microsoft, they advised to download that driver from Intel, I’ve done it. But it’s failing with the same error code 80070103. I would be grateful, if someone could help? Microsoft said that the error related to Intel product.

• 1. Re: Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103
          N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, the update made available via Windows Update will continue to fail, over and over, every time Windows Update is invoked. You need to stop this. To do so, open Windows Update, find the entry for this particular update, right-click on this entry and select the Hide option. When this happened to me (with a HD Graphics 4000-based processor), I presumed that, once I manually installed the latest driver made available by Intel, the need for this update would disappear from Windows Update. It did not; it continued to be found - and continued to fail. I had to hide it.

Insofar as what it happening with the update from Intel itself, What version of the driver are you downloading? If you go by the page for Intel's last 8 Series board, the driver to be downloaded is version 10.18.10.3496 (available here: Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows 8.1* [10.18]). If you search for a 4600 driver, you find version 15.36.31.4414 (available here: Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36.31]), so obviously the board-related version is way too old. If the 15.36.31 version is the one failing, go back to the previous release. Checking for a previous release, you find version 15.36.28.4332 (available here: Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36.28]).

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103
            Boris.Aliyev

Hi Scott,

First of all , thank you very much the reply. 

The version of the driver in my laptop is 10.18.14.4264. I downloaded from the Intel web site version 10.18.14.4414. Same error 80070103 continued to fall as you described.  After that my laptop lost the communication with Windows Update.  There was error : Service Control Manager error, ID:7000 .  I restored my laptop for the 2 days earlier date with difficulty, because restore function wasn’t available. Now everything works ok in my laptop. Only  the problem is that right-click on this entry of Windows Update is not active , I can’t choose  Hide option.

Could you advise, please.

Best regards,

Boris Aliyev

P.S. I found that there is update function is available for that driver in the laptop(in different place), but I’m afraid if update the driver for the last version, it can cause problem with connection Windows Update again.  The details of the driver in my laptop as below:

Manufacture: Intel Corporation Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Date of installation: 04.08.2015

Version: 10.18.14.4264

Digital Sign: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

• 3. Re: Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103
              N.Scott.Pearson

Hhmmm, I have never seen an entry on Windows Update that I cannot right-click on and select to hide the update. I believe that you have something else going wrong here (with Windows Update). Insofar as the driver packages you download from Intel's Download Center are concerned, their installation will not - and can not - affect the operation of Windows Update. Any issue you have with Windows Update is all Microsoft's fault.

• 4. Re: Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103
                ossi

Hi

the update is marked as "important" and the installing fails since 28.07.2016. Why does intel not remove it from the update list?

(my PC: Asus Desktop PC BM2AD_D510MT_D310MT / Windows 7pro english / Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 / Driver 10.18.14.4264 v. 04.08.2015).

I will hide it and hope there will be an better update later.

I found the same question on "Recent (Jan 30, 2016) Intel HD Graphics 4600 update fails " but also no answer.

• 5. Re: Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103
                  Intel Corporation
                  This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello, ossi:

There are other drivers versions available, have you tried a different one? Perhaps this one Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36], give it a try and let me know if the issue persists.

Regards,

Amy.

• 6. Re: Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103
                    ossi

Hy Amy,

I installed the driver and it works. (Intel HD Graphics 4600 Properties now: 10.18.14.4414 / 23.03.2016).

I hope you can delete the not installable update from the windows updaes. I hide the update on my two computers.

Thanks for your answer

Ossi

• 7. Re: Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103
                      N.Scott.Pearson

Actually, rather than it being a bad update, it is more likely that the problem is that the driver is being installed to unsupported platforms. That is, Windows Update is indicating that an update is necessary when it shouldn't be (this appears to be a common problem on Windows Update - and more likely MS' fault)...

Just saying...

...S

• 8. Re: Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103
                        Intel Corporation

ossi, that is really good to hear!

I must say I agree with Scoot, it must have been an issue with Windows Updates; however, you now have the latest Intel® HD Graphics driver available and it is working. In the meantime continue hiding that update from your devices.

Regards,

Amy.

• 9. Re: Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103
                          Boris.Aliyev

Hi Scott,

Sorru to be burden, could you explain more clear how I can find  the entry for this particular update?

When I go to Windows Update Centre page ,right-click on this entry does not work and I can't select the Hide option.

P.S.Currently the version of the driver in my laptop is 10.18.14.4264. It woks perfectly, do I need to update it to the version 10.18.14.4414? Is it mandatory?

Best regards,

Boris Aliyev

• 10. Re: Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103
                            idsantos73

Although my solution is for windows 7 I do however believe that it also works for later versions of windows including win. 8 and 8.1.

The overall thing is the text 'PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0412' is only found in the section for windows 10, but not in the section for either win, 7, win. 8, or win. 8.1 therefore the update will never be success.

Here is the text I copied from another thread I posted in:

I have the same problem, however I managed to figure out that the problem is not related to windows 7 by it self, it is however related to the driver itself.

My error code (from windows update)

Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Installation date: 8/20/2016 12:54 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070103

Update type: Important

This driver was provided by Intel Corporation for support of Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

After trying all the steps I could find including renaming the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder, which did'nt help . I decided to try and find the installation files in the windows directory and I managed to find the files in the following folder:

- C:\Windows\softwaredistribution.old\Download\Install

That is, in the renamed SoftwareDistribution folder. In that folder I opened the igdlh64.inf file and search for the text 'PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0412' and I found in the section for Windows 10, but could not find it in the section for windows 7.

After trying to do a driver update using the device manager and redirecting to the Install folder within the SoftwareDistribution.old folder I got a message that the the updated driver was already installed. Since I had uninstalled the original driver the best driver is then the Standard VGA driver which should be wrong.

Next step: I downloaded the updated driver from Intels website and inspected the

igdlh64.inf file and there the  text 'PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0412' was located under the windows 7 section and the driver did also installled successfully so here is my conclusion.

For some reason Windows Update downloads an  driver update  which works only  windows 10 but not in windows 7 so something must have gone wrong there and it is only Microsoft which is capable of solving that problem.

In the mean time the only solution I can find is to hide the update so that Windows update does not try to installed it.

• 11. Re: Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103
                              N.Scott.Pearson

Ivo,

Yes, yes, yes; it is clear that Intel released an update that was for Windows 10 only but Windows Update seems to be set up such that it attempts to install it for any version of Windows. The only resolution (barring Microsoft removing this driver from the download scripts) is going to be to hide this update. If I were you, I would stick with the versions that are posted to Intel's site.

Boris,

I do not run Windows 8 or 8.1, so I cannot tell you why it will not let you hide updates. You will have to ask this question in the Microsoft forums.

As for your other question, you have to answer it yourself. Intel wouldn't be releasing newer versions if there weren't issues being identified. Of course, these issues may not affect your particular system or your particular usage model, so the old dirver may be just fine for you. My recommendation is to ensure that you are running on the latest available version - and I mean the latest available version on the Intel site, not available via Windows Update.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 12. Re: Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103
                                Intel Corporation

N.Scott.Pearson thank you for your help.

As mentioned in the previous input, these issues may not affect your particular system or your particular model. Intel ensures the quality of the drivers posted in the Download Center, but there is chance that they might no work as expected since we provide generic driver for general purposes. If the driver installed is working fine for you I would recommend sticking with it; however if would like to update it here you will find the latest drivers Drivers & Software. 

Regards,

Amy.

• 13. Re: Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103
                                  Fireoasis

I never had this problem until windows 10, and even then a little while after the release of it.  This update, "Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000"  doesn't just fail it crashes my computer to the blue screen of death.  Windows 10, tries to update it 3 times and then thankfully will 'restore' my computer.   This has been going on for months.  I've tried to update from the intel site, but honestly have no idea where this needed update is even coming from.  I downloaded and installed what I thought would fix the problem, it has not.  I would -love- to select 'ignore' or hide this update, but there is no option to do so.  I have tried to right click on every appearance of this update that I can find.  i am currently considering removing every trace of intel hardware/software from my computer just to get this to stop.  Windows folks tell me that it is an Intel driver and in such they can't fix the problem.  My computer apparently works fine without the update so knowing that my computer will crash to a blue screen every time it tries to download this is more than frustrating.  I have spent countless hours combing through website after website, and trying 'fix' after fix, to no avail.  Please help if you can.

• 14. Re: Update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 keeps failing with error code 80070103
                                    N.Scott.Pearson

Dawn Mumma,

Do you have a NUC or is this a discrete board and processor? If so, what exactly do you have? (this will make a difference to what updates we point you to)

...S

1 2 Previous Next