3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 1:16 PM by Intel Corporation

Unable to install Win 7 onto a NUC6i3SYH.

popmorgan

I have attached a DVD device to the USB port and inserted an original MS Win 7 64-bit Ultimate DVD.

When I start the system it boots from the DVD and says 'loading windows files' as expected.

It then says 'starting windows' as expected.

It then displays the first install screen offering to select language/time/keyboard - again exactly as expected.

But, the system is now hung. There is no mouse icon on the screen and the keyboard has no effect.

Only way out is a power-off reset.

I have successfully booted a MEMTEST usb stick and run the memory tests for several hours cleanly.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest level SY0045.bio

I have installed an SSD and can see that OK in the BIOS SETUP..

I have one 4GB memory stick installed.

Any advice appreciated.

Pop.

• 1. Re: Unable to install Win 7 onto a NUC6i3SYH.
          N.Scott.Pearson

The system is not actually hung; you simply cannot interact with it. This is occurring because you have only USB 3.0 ports and the Windows 7 installation images are so old that they do not include USB 3.0 support. You have to gas-pump the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows 7 installation images before you will be able to proceed. There are multiple threads in this forum that detail how to gas-pump the USB 3.0 drivers into the Windows 7 installation images. Do a search for "Windows 7 USB 3.0" and you will find them. Intel also provides a package for download that will assist you with this process.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: Unable to install Win 7 onto a NUC6i3SYH.
            popmorgan

AH!! Many thanks. That explains it.

In the meantime I tried to install Win 8.1 and that worked fine so I guess it supports 3.0.

Thinking I'll dump the lot and use Win 10!!

Your help much appreciated.

Pop

• 3. Re: Unable to install Win 7 onto a NUC6i3SYH.
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi popmorgan,

Unfortunately, USB 3.0 drivers are not included on Windows 7 OS, so it is necessary to perform a workaround.
              Newer operating systems Windows8.0/8.1 and 10 already include the driver.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Regards,
              Mike C