6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2016 10:19 AM by Alberto Rodriguez

DQ45CB Possibility to upgrade Option ROM?

CHRFR

Hi,

I have a DQ45CB Mainboard. To get better Windows 10 Support (I know it has no official Windows 10 support, but it does work)

I want to upgrade the Option ROMs inside. (And get support for HDD >2TB)

In BIOS 0133 are inside:

RAID Option ROM 8.6.0.1007 and 8.5.2.1002

Intel Boot Agent GE 1.3.65

vBIOS 1940

Management Engine BIOS 5.2.40.1037

For the Components exists newer versions (found in other Forum)

RAID Option ROM 11.2.0.1527

Intel Boot Agent GE 1.3.72

vBIOS 2085

Management Engine BIOS 5.2.71.1048

Is there a Possibility to upgrade all the ROMs or a fiew myself? (Especially the RAID Option ROM)

The BIOS support UEFI boot. Does the Board support secure boot too??

Thank you for help!

• 1. Re: DQ45CB Possibility to upgrade Option ROM?
          Al Hill

As you have noted, this board is not supported.

My opinion - get a board that is supported and save yourself a lot of time and trouble.

Doc

• 2. Re: DQ45CB Possibility to upgrade Option ROM?
            N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, the fact that newer versions of firmware components are available does not mean that these versions can actually be used with this board. Secondly, Intel does not provide support for upgrading individual firmware components. All firmware components are stored within a single secured flash device and they can only be upgraded as a set - and then only with a properly compressed, encrypted and signed .BIO file. The latest available BIOS release (CB0133P.BIO) is the best that you are going to get. Note the following:

• The BIOS on this board already has support for HDDs that are larger than 2TB. This support is provided by the UEFI framework upon which this BIOS is built. You enable UEFI boot to enable this support.
            • The latest available RST (RAID) firmware that you listed is for later versions of the chipset, not your's. The version you have (8.6.0.1007) is the correct one for your chipset; there is no better. My understanding is that you can use the latest runtime drivers and software with this firmware, however.
            • Support for Secure Boot is not present in the latest available BIOS nor can this feature be added to the BIOS for a board this old. You need at least a 7 Series board to get Secure Boot support.

Finally, I have to say that I agree with Al's comments; your best decision would be to upgrade your motherboard and processor. Your board is 6 chipset/processor generations and 6-7 years out of date. In addition to the compatibility issues that have built up over this time (especially with video cards), you are well past the warranted lifetime for the board and approaching or past the (standard 7 year) MTBF for individual components on the board. Frankly, it's by belief that any money you spend on this system is money you won't have when you do come to the realization that you should be replacing this (aged) system.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: DQ45CB Possibility to upgrade Option ROM?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello

Thank you very much to Al Hill and N. Scott Pearson for the information provided, it is always very helpful.

To CHRFR:

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was helpful for you?

Also, to confirm the above comments, that the Intel® DQ45CB motherboard does not support Windows® 10, on the following link you will be able to verify that information:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005640.html?wapkw=legacy+intel+desktop+boards

And as you mentioned, even if you are able to install it, there might be issues in getting the drivers, or problems with some features, besides that fact that this board is retired and discontinue.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate in contact us again.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 4. Re: DQ45CB Possibility to upgrade Option ROM?
                CHRFR

Thank you very much for your help. I have installed Windows 10 Pro 64bit now. Drivers are all found and working.

But i have this problems:

In BIOS UEFI-Mode is activated. New installed Graphicadapter Nvidia Geforce GT 710 has UEFI-Mode too.

Windows 10 dont wont to install in UEFI-Mode. Only MBR ist offered by formatting the disk. How is it possible to install in UEFI-Mode?

Do I have to start the Installation with UEFI-Shell?

Graphic-Adapter is only working with PCIe x8 Mode (Board has x16 and GT710 has x16)

There is only the Graphiccard in the PCIe-Slots (PCI Slot is not used too)

ME-Engine passwort is set and ME-Engine is set to "none"

In Standby LED is still blinking.

What have I to do tho solve this problems?

Thank you for help

• 5. Re: DQ45CB Possibility to upgrade Option ROM?
                  Al Hill

Use an external DVD drive, F10 for the boot menu, and select the appropriate install.

Doc

• 6. Re: DQ45CB Possibility to upgrade Option ROM?
                    Alberto Rodriguez

Hello CHRFR:

Also you can create a UEFI-USB bootable device, you can use the following to do that:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Requirements for installing Windows in UEFI mode:
                    -UEFI must be enabled in the motherboard BIOS
                    -A DVD/CD-ROM drive (bootable USB flash drives with the OS may work, but as official practice always use the original Windows media)
                    -A genuine copy of Windows supporting UEFI in 64-bit (Windows Vista® with Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows® 7, Windows® 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server® 2008, Windows Server® 2008 R2, Windows Server® 2012, and Windows Server 2012 R2).

Steps:
                    -Enter the board BIOS and enabled “UEFI Boot” and make sure “Legacy boot” is also enabled.
                    -Save changes and exit bios
                    -Press “F10” key several times, you will get into the boot manager
                    -From the drives listed pick the one with the DVD/CD-ROM description that starts with UEFI.
                    -Follow the Windows set up and then select the HDD you want to use for the installation.

It is important to know that letting the system booting up into the DV/CD-ROM by itself won’t enable the UEFI support, that’s why you need to enter the motherboard boot manager to pick the drive showing the support for UEFI.

If the option of UEFI in the boot manager is not showing, that could happen for 3 reasons:

-UEFI is not enabled
                    -The copy of Windows is not genuine or it is 32-bit
                    -The media used is not supported (for some USB bootable drives)

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto