3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2016 10:09 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i5SYK with Akasa Fanless case

iPat

Yesterday I received the brand new Akasa Newton S6T, delivered by caseking.de. I am quite happy with the product, so I want to share more details on it.

The case basics are described here: http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Fanless%20Chassis&type_sub=Fanless%20NUC&model=A-NUC30-A1B

My key learnings about the case:

The Akasa kit does not contain WLAN antenna, only antenna fitting holes.

The case itself does not provide SD Card slot.

The front panel only shows a weak blue light, when the NUC is running.

Before disassembling the NUC, I recommend disabling SD Card as well as cooling fan in BIOS, as these parts will not be available later. The missing fan even can generate a blue screen as your Driver will not be able to manage it and suspect a HW failure.

Changed Settings

Default Value

New Value

Devices/Onboard Devices: WLAN

Enabled

Disabled

Devices/Onboard Devices: SD Card

Read/Write

Disabled

Cooling/CPU Fan Header: Fan Control Mode

Balanced

Fanless

Akasa’s installation guide provides good pictures for the Akasa case, but there is no picture/guideline how to disassemble the NUC. It is somehow obvious to remove the current cooling and fan solution, but for unexperienced people like me, I was unsure if I removed the right screws and cables.

My learnings here are:

WLAN cables to the antenna are removed from the board. They are not soldered, but clipped.

There is no cooling paste, Akasa delivers a Thermal pad instead. Adhesive is on both sides of the patch, remove the protective foil.

The NUC contains 2 PCH besides the CPU. Ensure to use the Thermal gap filler for the PCH.

The rest of the assembling is straight forward as described in Akasa’s installation guide.

Result:

The case very effectively transports the CPU heat to the case:

CPU Utilization

~Package TPD

~CPU Package Temp

~Outside Case Temp

<10% (Basic Office Tasks)

6 Watt

43° C

37° C

>90% (Number Crunching)

22 Watt

87° C

55° C

Even during 2h 100% CPU load number crunching with Prime95, there was no Current, Power or Thermal throttling.

A great product for fanless enthusiasts J

Pat

• 1. Re: NUC6i5SYK with Akasa Fanless case
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Very nice post, it will be helpful to others using Intel® NUC. 
          Thank you for sharing this information. 

Allan. 

• 2. Re: NUC6i5SYK with Akasa Fanless case
            iPat

Thanks Allan.

Short update: After a few more hours of number crunching, I realized a small drop in performance.

With Intel’s Monitoring Tool, I saw that the CPU is running stable at 87° C, but the motherboard starts throttling.

The Technical Product specification for the NUC Board states:

A chassis with a maximum internal ambient temperature of 50°C at the processor fan inlet is recommended.  If the internal ambient temperature exceeds 50°C, further thermal testing is required to ensure components do not exceed their maximum case temperature.

As there is no setting in BIOS to adjust internal ambient sensor threshold, I played with maximum CPU Speed to solve this.

Using 2-Core Turbo Ratio of 24 results in a maximum speed of 2.4Ghz. With that settings the temperatures look much better:

Package TPD: 17 Watts / Temperature: ~77° C / Outside Case Temp: ~52°C

Also, there was no motherboard throttling in the last 24h

Conclusion: Intel’s default thermal solution is doing a great job

Cheers

Pat

• 3. Re: NUC6i5SYK with Akasa Fanless case
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Alright, that sounds great, thank you for sharing all your results. 

Allan.