7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 12:50 PM by Intel Corporation

AHCI mode: cannot boot from optical disk in certain setups

Nuc!eoN

Hi

I happened to come across a nasty bug on my ASRock P55 Deluxe3 motherboard.

I have noticed that my bootable CD/DVDs won't work in certain cable configurations, when using two HDDs.  For instance if I setup my drives like this:

SATA2_1 => HDD1

SATA2_2 => HDD2

SATA2_3 => DVD-Drive

or

SATA2_1 => HDD2

SATA2_2 => HDD1

SATA2_3 => DVD-Drive

or

SATA2_4 => HDD1

SATA2_5 => HDD2

SATA2_6 => DVD-Drive

booting the DVD will only give me a grey blinking cursor.

Setups like those work and let the drive boot:

SATA2_1 => HDD1

SATA2_2 => DVD-Drive

or

SATA2_1 => HDD2

SATA2_2 => DVD-Drive

or

SATA2_1 => DVD-Drive

SATA2_2 => HDD1

SATA2_3 => HDD2

or

SATA2_1 => HDD1

SATA2_2 => DVD-Drive

SATA2_3 => HDD2

So it only works when I am using either only one HDD, if I am placing the DVD-Drive into the middle, or if I place it first. It will not work when placed at the end with two HDDs. Did not try with more HDDs...

I am only using the native Intel SATA2 ports - and btw, this happens only when my system is in AHCI-Mode. In IDE-Mode it works just fine. I have also tried a different optical drive but got the same result.

I think this might be a bug in the BIOS firmware module of the Intel AHCI controller.

What do you think about this? Is this an expected behaviour? Are there any such previous cases? Can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance! Smile

Best regards,

nuc

• 1. Re: AHCI mode: cannot boot from optical disk in certain setups
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Nuc!eoN,

If you want to boot from USB or DVD first, it is necessary to change the Boot priority option in the BIOS before the Hard drives.

Now, in regards to AHCI, if OS was installed with Sata mode as IDE, if BIOS changes to AHCI, it is necessary to re-install OS from scratch again. It is the same situation if you change the SATA setting to RAID.

Regards,
          Mike C

• 2. Re: AHCI mode: cannot boot from optical disk in certain setups
            Nuc!eoN

"If you want to boot from USB or DVD first, it is necessary to change the Boot priority option in the BIOS before the Hard drives."

Yes I know and I did that. I have also tried the method choosing the boot medium manually at start. The Problem is that the system does attempt to boot from the DVD-ROM, but instead of loading the DVD it just shows a blinking white cursor ("_").

"Now, in regards to AHCI, if OS was installed with Sata mode as IDE, if BIOS changes to AHCI, it is necessary to re-install OS from scratch again. It is the same situation if you change the SATA setting to RAID."

You assume I've got an OS installed? Yes that is correct, but my OS has nothing to do with this issue, since it doesn't even get booted. As a reminder: I am not trying to boot from my Hard Drive but from a bootable medium.

As I said, I can successfully boot from the DVD drive when I set IDE Mode, but not when I set it to AHCI. This might suggest a bug in the BIOS AHCI ROM module, is that correct?

• 3. Re: AHCI mode: cannot boot from optical disk in certain setups
              Intel Corporation

Hi Nuc!eoN,

If your DVD or CD ROM is recognized with the chipset SATA mode as IDE and not using AHCI or RAID, it means the device is mature now and it only works with IDE.

Regards,
              Mike C

• 4. Re: AHCI mode: cannot boot from optical disk in certain setups
                Nuc!eoN

You did not read my first post carefully.

The dvd boots in AHCI mode! It also boots in IDE mode. Only using certain cable configurations it does not work in AHCI mode...

It depends on the order in which I connect the cables.

Regards,

Philip

• 5. Re: AHCI mode: cannot boot from optical disk in certain setups
                  Intel Corporation

Hi Nuc!eoN,

I misunderstood your question.

Your motherboard has 2 SATA Controllers, it will be necessary to confirm with your motherboard manufacturer how they are configured. I noted you are only using Intel SATA ports but board manufacturer customized our drivers so pc behavior can change.

This board has a 5 series chipset, it is already mature; Intel stopped supporting it some time ago.

AsRock P55 Deluxe3
                  http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P55%20Deluxe3/?cat=Specifications

Mike C

• 6. Re: AHCI mode: cannot boot from optical disk in certain setups
                    Nuc!eoN

Hi Mike,

Thank you dearly for rereading my question. Yes you are right, my motherboard has the native Intel SATA2 controller and an additional marvell SATA3 controller. You have noted correctly that I am only using the SATA2 ports on my motherboard... Unfortunately upon request, I did not manage to get any answer out of the ASRock support (I had filed two support requests over half a year ago).

Is there any possibility I could help to resolve this bug? The BIOS is available in the download section, which should contain the AHCI rom, but I guess in compiled form it does not help that much...

Thanks in advance!

regards,

Philip

• 7. Re: AHCI mode: cannot boot from optical disk in certain setups
                      Intel Corporation

Hi Nuc!eoN,

The issue is not common, maybe Asrock assigned an order to boot to each SATA port. Only your motherboard manufacturer can bring to you the answer.

Now, chipset p55 is very old, Intel stopped supporting it a long time ago and probably the board manufacturer too. Actually, Intel stopped producing desktop motherboards since 2013.     
                      Mike C