7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 10:03 AM by javilez

Bootstart Issue with LCD (16*2) with intel Edison board

rahul147258

hi ,

i have one LCD which must be get interfaced with Intel edison baord 2x16 characters, STN yel/grn, yel/grn LED BL - 5v [LCD162B-YHY] - £8.90 : SK Pang Electronics, Arduino, Sparkfun, GPS, G…  with HD44780 driver. i have interfaced it with intel edison board.It works well..

But the issue arises when i want to amke it Boot start up service.

Meanning says once i have Burn  the code(skectch from arduino) it should able to drive based on logics written in that code.

when i am dumping my code my LCD is diaplying data absed on my requirement .

after dumping it if i am powering OFF and after few minutes, i am powering ON  .i am not able to RUN the  LCD based on My requirement.

Now will any one tell that what might be issue so that I am not able to RUN again after poWering OFF then Powering ON.

1) Is there any ways by which i can able to check Whetehr My  code (process) is getting RUN when i am powering ON Intel .

2) any for ur information i have done  same thing with LED that time ..My bootstart up service is geeting Done properly.

meaning is WIth LED there is  no problems but with LCD...i think U ppl can tell..

Thanks

• 1. Re: Bootstart Issue with LCD (16*2) with intel Edison board
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi,

1. You can check the processes running on your board with the command ps. If the Arduino sketch is running, you should see it as a process called sketch.elf
          2. The Arduino sketches are not running automatically after reboot. If you’re looking for a workaround then I’d suggest you to follow this guide https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2015/08/01/procedure-to-autostart-the-arduino-sketch-on-edison . The process involves making a bash script and making sure the script is executed each time at boot.
          Let us know if this is what you were looking for.

-Sergio
          • 2. Re: Bootstart Issue with LCD (16*2) with intel Edison board
            Flo1991

Maybe there is a problem with the display initialization due to undefined/switching of the gpios to the boot time of the edison...

maybe a delay helps after the boot sequence of the edison before your code is executed

Flo1991

• 3. Re: Bootstart Issue with LCD (16*2) with intel Edison board
              javilez

Hi. I have the same problem as described rahul147258. My arduino + lcd Connect to i2c.

I have done what is described in step 2 guide, but when make reboot, and run the ps command, the process called sketch.elf was not running. The firmware version installed is the lastest 201606061707.

I have made the following test. I loaded the sketch blink and given execute permission. after boot the sketch is not running. two leds are constantly on and off.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Bootstart Issue with LCD (16*2) with intel Edison board
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

I just tried following the guide and have no issues, I was able to see the LED blinking after boot.

Type the following commands, in order

cat /etc/init.d/automateSketch.sh.
                chmod +x /etc/init.d/automateSketch.sh
                chmod +x automateSketch.sh
                update-rc.d automateSketch.sh defaults

Post a picture of the Linux terminal of the output of all these steps.

-Sergio

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Bootstart Issue with LCD (16*2) with intel Edison board
                  rahul147258

Hi

I din understand meaning of  it,

"Maybe there is a problem with the display initialization due to undefined/switching of the gpios to the boot time of the edison...

maybe a delay helps after the boot sequence of the edison before your code is executed"

can u elavorate details.

Anyways thanks now bootstartups ervice is working by ur help.

however I am able to run my program after bootup..but it does not sustain for long time..soem garbage value will be displaying over lCD.

I need to make completely stand alone device.so that if I am power on my  Intel Edison system after an year also it has to work..can we do that????

thanks

• 6. Re: Bootstart Issue with LCD (16*2) with intel Edison board
                    Flo1991

As you said your code is working if you run it manually, what means your software is correct.

If you want to start up your code at the boot sequence the following may happen:

-edison is powered first time, all registers get the default hardware state (also the gpios)

-the image is booting ...

-maybe the image now initializes gpios to a software default state that is different to the hardware default state

-->this may result in changing gpio states which may influence the lines of the display

-image boot is ready, you code gets excecuted

-->the display may has seen a command due to changing gpios, now your code wants to init the display, but this is in another state

(as an example: the display takes the data/command on every falling edge of E(nable), what be a part of an init process)

So what you can try is to wait a short time ~500ms-1000ms and than run the display init and so on...

It is really hard to say what is the reason, because as you already figured out everything is working when you don't use the code at boot time...

Another point is, that sometimes strange errors happen if the wire lenght to the display is to long...

Hope this helps.

Flo1991

• 7. Re: Bootstart Issue with LCD (16*2) with intel Edison board
                      javilez

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I type the commands and the scketch is running after boot, Thanks.

Javier.