9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2016 5:07 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC6i7KYK WIndows 10 restart problem

donkrell

I recently installed an Intel NUC NUC6i7KYK.  I am experiencing one consistent issue.  The NUC will not successfully reboot after issuing a Windows "Restart" command.  The system hangs for about 30 seconds and then fails to reboot with the message "BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempts".  I can then enter "Y" and get access to the BIOS.  I simply hit F10 to save the changes...even though I have made no changes.  NUC then boots successfully.  This only happens after a Restart command.  NUC boots fine from a complete shutdown.  Also I have no problems with reboot from hibernation.  The problem is not intermittent.  It happens every time I enter a restart command and it never happens form a cold start or hibernation.

I can circumvent the problem by turning on Fast Boot in the Intel BIOS.  I assume this works because the POST is not executed when Fast Boot is enabled.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?  Appreciate any help that I can receive.

• 1. Re: NUC6i7KYK WIndows 10 restart problem
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hi Donkrell,

Could you please tell me the command you are using?
          I tested with ‘shutdown /r’ it works fine to me without and with Fast Boot. BIOS version
          Please let me know if you have any special configuration in order to replicate it.

Regards,
          Hellen.

• 2. Re: NUC6i7KYK WIndows 10 restart problem
            donkrell

I am simply choosing “Restart” from the Windows 10 Shutdown menu.  If FastBoot is not enabled in the In the BIOS menu, the POST process fails to complete, the system hangs for about 30 seconds and then fails to reboot with the message "BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempts".  I can then enter "Y" and get access to the BIOS.  I make NO CHANGES but use the F10 key to same my non-existent changes.  NUC then boots successfully without hanging.  I’ve watched the system carefully during the boot process.  After a hibernation or complete shutdown the power light on the NUC turns off completely.  Then the NUC will boot successfully whether FastBoot is enabled or not.  If I execute the Restart command from Windows, the NUC DOES NOT completely power down.  If fastboot is enabled, it boots OK because I assume the POST process is skipped when FastBoot is enabled.  POST is NOT skipped if FastBoot is disabled.  Then system then hangs.

This has nothing do to with Windows 10.  It occurs before the OS begins to execute.  Yesterday, I installed another version of Windows 10 on a second physical drive in the NUC.  The second version of Windows has the same issue.  The NUC hangs if a Restart command is executed and FastBoot is disabled. 

I’m running the current BIOS version dated June 3, 2016.  I reflashed the BIOS yesterday, but that did not fix the problem.  I’ve been working with David Bennet of SimplyNUC.  He suggests that I go ahead and use the BIOS recovery feature where the jumper on the motherboard has to be changed,, etc.  I’m going to try that process this morning and see what happens.  By the way, the NUC did not have this problem for the first couple of days after I bought it.  So it’s something I did that’s caused the problem.

Thanks for responding.

Don Krell

PS.  I went ahead and executed the BIOS recovery.  That did, in fact, solve the problem.  However, I discovered the instructions regarding how to execute the recovery process did not work on my NUC.  If I remove the jumper, the system just cycles through the powerup process and never displays the menu.  SO I put the jumper back on and followed the same instructions.  This time the menu was displayed and I was able to recover the BIOS.  As hoped, this solved the problem.  I'm not sure how this happened.  I typically avoid making changes to BIOS, since it's a good way to get into trouble.  As far as I know, the only thing I changed from the defaults was to enable/disable the fastboot.

Thanks for your help.

Don Krell

• 3. Re: NUC6i7KYK WIndows 10 restart problem
              OEFVet

Removal of the jumper has the same result for me as well: "If I remove the jumper, the system just cycles through the powerup process and never displays the menu"

• 4. Re: NUC6i7KYK WIndows 10 restart problem
                OEFVet

Can Intel please provide the specifics of the bios Fast Boot function?

• 5. Re: NUC6i7KYK WIndows 10 restart problem
                  Intel Corporation

Hi,

Great to know that you could fix this problem and your Intel® NUC is working as it should.
                  OEFVet, did you try following these steps?
                  http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005532.html
                  Fast Boot is a feature in BIOS that can help to reduce the time it takes to boot your computer; here you can get more information about Fast Boot:
                  http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000006699.html

Regards,
                  Hellen.

• 6. Re: NUC6i7KYK WIndows 10 restart problem
                    donkrell

The instructions for the BIOS recovery process look to be dated.  Note there is no mention of Windows 10.

I'm also seeing some problems with USB mouse or keyboard not recognized when FastBoot is enabled in the bios and a "Restart" command is executed from Windows 10.  I ran into this problem after I installed a second Windows 10 Preview version on the NUC on a different M.2 drive.  I could not change the default OS after doing a restart because the keyboard and mouse were inoperative.  Mouse and keyboard work fine after a cold start.  All of these "Restart"  issues seem to be related to the NUC not  completely powering off after a Restart command. 

Yet another problem that I think has been well documented.  If a Logitech Unifying Receiver is  installed in the USB 3.0 port next to the port that provides a charging voltage (on the front panel) and a USB thumb drive is installed in the charging port,  the mouse and keyboard will behave poorly or not at all   I think that's because of the 2.4 ghz noise generated by the device in the charging port.

Don

• 7. Re: NUC6i7KYK WIndows 10 restart problem
                      OEFVet

Hellen,

No I have not fixed it. The recovery mode just puts me on an endless restart loop. Not a big deal; I was able to update the bios another way.

I do not run fast boot; I am curious though: Under "Fast Boot" is the yellow USB port disabled until OS loading? What about the internal USB headers? If I go with a Thunderbolt/USB-C monitor; under fast boot at what port with the TB3 port go live?

donkrell Off topic; there is a ton of noise on the front panel usb ports; USB Isolators claim to solve this problem but I am unable to locate one for USB3.0.

• 8. Re: NUC6i7KYK WIndows 10 restart problem
                        Intel Corporation

Hi,

• Under "Fast Boot" is the yellow USB port disabled until OS loading? Yes, it would be disabled.
                        • What about the internal USB headers? It would be disable too.
                        • If I go with a Thunderbolt/USB-C monitor; under fast boot at what port with the TB3 port go live?, none of the ports would be enable.

If Fast Boot is enabled, Boot from Network, Optical, and Removable Devices are all disabled, also Video and USB devices (keyboard, mouse, drives) will not be available until after the operating system loads.
                        If Fast Boot is enabled, you cannot access BIOS.

Regards,
                        Hellen.
                        • 9. Re: NUC6i7KYK WIndows 10 restart problem
                          Intel Corporation

Hi,

I would like to know if there is anything else you need.

Regards,
                          Hellen.