6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 3:27 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Does the DQ67SW have a UEFI bios?

Devrens

Hi there! Does the DQ67SW have a UEFI bios? I recently purchased RAM that only supports motherboards running a UEFI bios. :\

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Does the DQ67SW have a UEFI bios?
          Al Hill

I do not believe the DQ67SW has a "visual" bios, if that is what you are asking.  It may support EFI at a minimal level.

I have not heard of memory that requires a UEFI bios, but things are changing all the time, so who knows.

Regarding supported memory on this board, look at section 1.6 on page 17:  https://downloadmirror.intel.com/19707/eng/DQ67SW_TechProdSpec02.pdf

Doc

• 2. Re: Does the DQ67SW have a UEFI bios?
            Devrens

Hi Al,

Thanks for your reply, after your comment I decided to call Kingston and confirm the UEFI theory. They've confirmed that for this specific memory (Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR3 PC15000/1866MHz CL10 2x8GB HX318C10FBK2/16) you must have a UEFI BIOS. It's frustrating, as I currently have a different motherboard that does not support/have UEFI and I'm having trouble finding a LGA 1155 MOBO with UEFI that supports my CPU in New Zealand. I've found one made by ASUS that has UEFI but only supports up to 75w CPUs (mine is 95w), and I've found the Intel DQ67SW as mentioned before. However, there's no point in buying the Intel MOBO if it won't work with the RAM.

Jim

• 3. Re: Does the DQ67SW have a UEFI bios?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

You could also address memory compatibility information here:
              http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000007058.html

Allan. 

• 4. Re: Does the DQ67SW have a UEFI bios?
                N.Scott.Pearson

I gotta throw my two cents in here...

• All modern BIOS are based upon the UEFI base code. This includes all of Intel's Desktop Board products going back many years before the 6 Series board mentioned. Now, whether the UEFI Boot Service is actually enabled to manage the boot process is configurable; support for Legacy Booting is still provided - and, in older boards, was often the default.

• I too have never heard of any memory requiring UEFI to work - and I can think of absolutely no reason why UEFI would be considered a requirement. I think that this was a mis-speak. I think that what this person was actually referring to was the BIOS having support for XMP profiles, which allow the full capabilities of the RAM to be enabled (in this case, allowing this memory to be run at 1800MHz instead of 1333MHz). This capability has nothing to do with UEFI (though it is often associated with it purely by coincidence of feature availability).

• Some number of years ago, a (IHMO less than scrupulous) motherboard manufacturer, as a marketing ploy, tied UEFI to the concept of a graphical BIOS setup capability. They said that, because they had a graphical BIOS setup program, they were the first with UEFI. This was absolute and total bull. First of all, Intel had been shipping UEFI-based BIOSs (though they (internally) called it EFI back then) for many years at that point (they wrote it, after all). Secondly, you don't need to have UEFI to have a graphical BIOS setup program (though UEFI does provide some infrastructure support that makes doing so much easier). Unfortunately, a lot of folks were duped by this marketing ploy and think that Graphical BIOS Setup == UEFI...

...S

• 5. Re: Does the DQ67SW have a UEFI bios?
                  Devrens

Hi Scott!

When I called kingston, they mentioned that the ram is "plug and play" and required the UEFI bios to work. Not sure what that entails to be completely honest.

Are you confident that the memory should work on the DQ67SW board? I would be elated if so.

Jimmy

• 6. Re: Does the DQ67SW have a UEFI bios?
                    N.Scott.Pearson

Well, I can give a qualified Yes. The BIOS on the DQ67SW board is definitely built using the UEFI framework and fully supports both Legacy and UEFI boot modes. Whether this particular memory will operate successfully at its full 1866MHz speed is another question, however. This board is designed for business-level usage (the Q67 chipset supports a full Intel AMT implementation, for example); it is not designed for nor tuned to support high (overclocking-level) performance. You may have to dial down the memory to operate at only 1600MHz or perhaps even 1333MHz.

...S