7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 8:18 AM by cvare

Where is sleep?

JB33

Hi,

I just picked up a new STK1AW32SC which I wanted to use as a HTPC and noticed there is no sleep available. Only restart or shutdown. After some brief reading, seems it's not supported for some stupid reason.

Have updated the bios to the latest but how can sleep be available on the Bay Trail chip and not this Cherry Trail chip?

Are there any plans to release updates allowing sleep because if not, I'll be returning this. It's useless to me without a sleep option because my TV is mounted up high and I can't reach it to turn it on every single time. Regardless of the small amount of watts it uses also given I go days without using it and would like to put it to sleep or have it auto sleep after a set amount of time.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Where is sleep?
          cvare

Hey JB33, the SoC doesn't support sleep, but it does offer hibernate, though you may have to enable it. How to Re-Enable Hibernation in Windows 8 and 10.

Also, the SoC will enter a low power mode where it shuts off certain subsystems to minimize heat and power.

• 2. Re: Where is sleep?
            JB33

Hi cvare, thanks for the reply.

Hibernate doesn't seem to work either and there are no options as in the link you posted. Can you explain to me how to actually get it working with the compute stick? Here is some information on it.

In a command prompt, with hibernate not yet enabled, these are the results when running the below.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -a

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Hibernate

Hibernation has not been enabled.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep

Standby (S3) is not available.

Hibernation is not available.

Fast Startup

Then, I go to enable hibernation by typing powercfg -h on (confirmed this is has been activated in the registry also). These are the results once hibernation is activated after a reset.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -a

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:

Standby (S1)

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Hibernate

The hiberfile type does not support hibernation

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep

Standby (S3) is not available.

So do you know how to get hibernation actually working? With hibernation enabled, this clearly says the hiberfile type isn't supported. There is no hibernate option in the power.cpl button area also. This indicates there is no S0 Low Power Idle state as well.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Where is sleep?
              cvare

I did it through the "Power Options" control panel, and then "System Settings", and was able to select Hibernate.  But I'm learning now that it may not work because of the BIOS.  I'm looking into, and I apologize if I was incorrect.

• 4. Re: Where is sleep?
                JB33

No worries, you are just trying to help which is appreciated.

I have figured it out though. Default hibernation size was too small so I have set this to 75% and now hibernate is enabled and working as intended.

Why can't Intel release a BIOS that supports sleep though? This would solve a lot of peoples issues. Sleep worked fine with the previous Bay Trail release so why does the improved SoC not have sleep enabled in the BIOS?

Are Intel going to release a new BIOS to rectify this? Who thought it was a good idea to take this out?

• 5. Re: Where is sleep?
                  JB33

The other problem is getting the stick to wake from hibernate. The whole reason this is an issue is so I don't have to get up on a chair every time to turn it on from behind the TV. Wake from hibernation or wake on lan would fix this but it does not work.

• 6. Re: Where is sleep?
                    JB33

cvare wrote:

Hey JB33, the SoC doesn't support sleep, but it does offer hibernate, though you may have to enable it. How to Re-Enable Hibernation in Windows 8 and 10.

Also, the SoC will enter a low power mode where it shuts off certain subsystems to minimize heat and power.

Do you know when this happens? The low power mode?

I'm running tests with the device before I send it back and it's not entering any kind of low power mode. The device has been idle for 4+ hours now and the fan is humming along. I also have it plugged into a watt meter reader and the energy use has not changed from since it was turned on. Constantly using around 7 watts.

When or how does this low power mode kick in?

• 7. Re: Where is sleep?
                      cvare

Sorry for the wait, had to try to reproduce and get some info.

Low power mode is talked about in the datasheets found here: Intel® Atom™ Processor Technical Resources.  You're looking for the "Intel Atom processor Z8000 series: Datasheet, vol.1 starting on page. 100.

As far as hibernate, that's the whole appeal about hibernate, is that your computer is pretty much off, but that it comes back to where you left it, and since there is no LAN port on this device there is of course no wake on LAN available, and the only way to wake it up is by the power button.