1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 3:17 PM by Al Hill

New Minimum Hardware Security Requirements for Windows 10 and Intel's Kaby Lake chips

Al Hill

This is a good read on Microsoft's new mandates for hardware to run Windows 10 only and not run any prior OS.

Microsoft mandates Windows 10 hardware change for PC security | Computerworld   An excerpt from this is:

"Upcoming PCs based on Intel's Kaby Lake chips -- which could be released in the third quarter -- will support only Windows 10, not prior versions of the OS."

You can also check this notice in SANS Institute | Newsletters - Newsbites

All of this revolves around TPM 2.0 being required on any Windows 10 device.  Trusted Platform Module (TPM 2.0) stores keys, passwords, and digital certificates.

This was released by Microsoft about a month ago:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/keep-secure/tpm-recommendations

To learn more about TPM:  Trusted Platform Module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doc

• 1. Re: New Minimum Hardware Security Requirements for Windows 10 and Intel's Kaby Lake chips
          Al Hill

How to check if you have TPM?  You can RUN this utility:  TPM.MSC

Also, you may have to check your BIOS to see if you have TPM, and turn it on if necessary.

I checked my STICK (STCK1A32WFC), with Windows 10, and it does not appear to have TPM.  I have not yet checked the BIOS to see if it is there and needs to  be turned on.

I checked my SURFACE Pro 3, with Windows 10, and it does have TPM 2.0

I checked my old LENOVO laptop (from 2009), with Windows 7, and it does not.

Doc