5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 11:28 AM by Intel Corporation

NUC5i5RYH doesn't power up

davorin

Hello

Have a NUC5i5RYH here which after sleep mode under Win8.1 didn't wake up anymore..nor can it be powered on again...

Power supply is fine as I have the +19V DC on the motherboard...

When pressing the power button the blue LED flashes once shortly...and that's it....but mostly doesn't flash at all...

According to the manual the 5V standby LED should be always lit when the power supply is connected?

This is not the first time I couldn't power it on...mostly after a short power outage....and after few hours of power disconnecting....it could be powered on again...but not anymore now...

Also removed all RAM and the mSATA SSD....no joy..

• 1. Re: NUC5i5RYH doesn't power up
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello davorin:

To answer your question, yes, the LED should be lit, but this is when you turn the NUC on, by simply connecting the power adapter to it, there will be no lights at all.

Also, even though the power adapter seems to be just fine, do you have the option to test it with a different power adapter?

Also, do you have the option to test it with a different RAM stick?

If you turn it on without a RAM stick it will not work, but the light should blink 3 times, is that happening?

If you tried all those troubleshoot steps already, and the problem persists, that means there might be a problem with the NUC itself, and in that case a replacement will be needed.

The NUC has 3 years of warranty with Intel®, so we can always replace it for you.

If you are interested in the replacement, in order to do that, please get in contact directly with us through chat, email, phone or online support, here is the link to do that, you just need to select NUC on product type and you will get those options:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@12

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: NUC5i5RYH doesn't power up
            davorin

Hello Alberto

Tried also with a different power supply...no joy..

Without RAM installed there is just a short blue LED blink...if at all...

Currently the green LED is on and there is a slight smell of burned semiconductor....

I already files a RMA with the local reseller I bought the device from...

Do you know if it is best to send it in without RAM and SSD or should I leave RAM SSD installed?

Hopefully I can restore the Win 8.1 pro license installed on the SSD and that the data is not corrupt...

But great to know that there is a 3 years warranty...it is not my only one Intel NUC, and probably not the last (o;

• 3. Re: NUC5i5RYH doesn't power up
              Intel Corporation

Hello davorin:

Since you are going to replace the NUC with a local reseller, the best thing to do will be to check with them if you need to remove the SSD and RAM to replace it.

When you replace the NUC directly with Intel®, you need to send it without all the removable peripherals: SSD, RAM, wireless card, power adapter, SD card or any other removable part, and also you need to remove all the cables as well.

We are glad to hear that they will replace the NUC for you, but it will be better to check directly with then before you send the NUC for replacement.

Any questions, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Alberto

• 4. Re: NUC5i5RYH doesn't power up
                davorin

Hello Alberto

This is also what the local distributor suggested...send back without anything installed...sending back today...and hopefully will get a replace pretty soon as this is the main Windows 8.1 development machine...besides many other Intel NUCs here at home ;-)

Wonder if Altera will release FPGAs soon with Intel CPUs inside after the takeover. That would be just terrific :-)

• 5. Re: NUC5i5RYH doesn't power up
                  Intel Corporation

Hello davorin:

Thank you very much for those updates.

In regard to your question, the best thing to do in order to check on that will be to get in contact with Altera® directly:

https://www.altera.com/about/contact/contact.html

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto