5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2016 9:31 AM by Intel Corporation

Windows 10 Unstable with i7 6850k - IMC Failed Test

Alex_K

Hi All,

I've recently build a new PC the specs are as follows:

• CPU - i7 6850k
      • Motherboard - ASUS Strix X99 (Latest Bios 0810)
      • RAM - Corsair Dominator DDR4 3333MHz
      • Graphics - EVGA 1080 GTX FTW
      • Hard Drive - 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD
      • PSU - Corsair AX1200i (1200W)

The issues I've been experiencing has been a very unstable PC. I've clean installed Windows 10 and originally had NVIDIA and Asus drivers up to date. My computer was constantly BSOD with one of the following errors occuring:

• Page Fault In Nonpaged Area
      • Pool Corruption In File Area
      • Driver Overran Stack Buffer
      • IRQL Not Less or Equal

So I thouught I might've had a RAM issue. I've since done a memtest86 on each DIMM and have found no issues after 4 passes. So I proceeded to reinstall WIndows 10 cleanly but this time without the driver updates and just Windows 10 inital updates. As a result I was experiencing a lot of random restarts (no BSOD). I've since done multiple clean installs isolating/swapping out components that I can which still resulted in the random stutters and restarts.

From a hardware perspective I've:

• Swapped out Graphics Card  > Issue Persists
      • Installed Windows 10 to another SSD Drive > Issue Persists
      • Swapped out PSU (Antec 1000W from older Rig) > Issue Persists
      • Downclocked RAM to 2133MHz from 3333MHz XMP Profile > Issue Persists

The only thing I can't swap around is the CPU and Motherboard because I don't have a spare 2011-v3 motherboard.

I gave IPDT (latest version available on Intel website) a shot, it failed on the IMC test. However I'm not sure if that is conclusive, given older posts from 2 months back were mentioning that the tool doesn't work properly for new i7 Broadwell-E processors.

So I guess my question is, is this a CPU issue or is it a different issue? Is the IMC fail test grounds to ask Intel for a warranty for the CPU? Or is the IPDT tool still deemed inaccurate for Broadwell-E processors.

Any advice on determining cause and possible actions is much appreciated. Thanks i advance for reading my long winded post.