6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 6:28 PM by Intel Corporation

Voice Recognition not working on Nuc i5-5250U with Windows 10

jakmi

My voice recognition function has stopped working, both with the program that comes with Win10 and with 'NaturallySpeaking'. With both programs it recognizes & 'types' a few words correctly, then just quits. If I turn it (the app) off for a few seconds, it will start recognizing again, but only for a few words. I'm assuming, since it happens with both apps, that it's a problem with the Nuc. Has anyone else had this problem, and can anyone offer suggestions as to what to do? I use voice recognition daily, so it's very important to me.  Thanks so much for any ideas!

• 1. Re: Voice Recognition not working on Nuc i5-5250U with Windows 10
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello jakmi:

I just wanted to let you know that this problem is either related to Windows® itself, if the application belong to it, or if it is a 3rd party application, it could be that application the one that is not working.

As an option you can try to reinstall the application or Windows® from scratch.

Did it work fine before with Windows® 10, or it never worked fine?

A BIOS update to the latest version which is 0358, will be a good thing to do, specially if you are using Windows® 10.

On the following link you will see the instructions of how to do a BIOS update using the F7 method that is very reliable:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

Here is the .BIO file that you need to do the update, first file on the left:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26081/BIOS-Update-RYBDWi35-86A-?product=83254

As long as the NUC is capable to access the BIOS or to boot to Windows®, that indicates that it is working fine, however, we do have a tool to test the processor, it does an overall test on it, and if the processor passed the test it should be fine, here is the link for you to install it, 2nd option to the left:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

If after you tried all those troubleshoot steps, the problem remains, then you can always get in contact with Microsoft® directly, so they can further assist you on this case.

Microsoft’s phone number: 1 800-642-7676

Microsoft’s support site: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: Voice Recognition not working on Nuc i5-5250U with Windows 10
            jakmi

Hi Alberto,

Thank you for responding, but I have some questions. Can you explain why you believe it's "either related to Windows® itself, if the application belong to it, or if it is a 3rd party application, it could be that", and not a problem with the 'Nuc'?

I am pretty certain it's not the application, as I'm having the same problem with the voice recognition app which is a part of Windows 10.

I have also eliminated my microphone, by trying another mic & having the same result.

As for Windows 10, I have no proof that it's NOT the cause, but how would I know -- and why would you suspect that rather than the Nuc itself?

As for updating the BIOS ... I've read that can be very, very tricky, and I would be extremely hesitant to try that.  I thought I would be willing to install the diagnostic tool, but after I followed the link & downloaded it, was faced with the warning about letting an app 'from an unknown publisher' run on my machine. If the app is from Intel, why would I get that message? I'm perhaps over-cautious, but I don't want to totally mess up my machine if you absolutely are convinced it's not the Nuc anyway ...

Any thoughts?

Thank you

• 3. Re: Voice Recognition not working on Nuc i5-5250U with Windows 10
              Intel Corporation

Hello jakmi:

In regard to your inquiry, the reason why I think the problem might not be the NUC itself, is because the voice recognition feature, is not a feature that belongs to the NUC, meaning that is not something that you can enable or disable in the BIOS, it is an application that belongs entirely to Windows®, and if you install an application that does not belong to it, then it could be that specific application that is not working properly.

Still, it is very hard to make sure, so, if you use a microphone, are you able to record your voice properly on the NUC using the “voice recorder” feature?

Did you try just for testing purposes to use a different microphone?

If you use that feature with a different microphone, and the voice still does not get recorded properly, then as you mentioned, it could be a hardware problem, it could be the NUC itself in that case.

Also, even if you get that message: “from an unknown publisher”, the IPDT is a very reliable tool and it will not do any harm to the NUC.

As far as the BIOS update is concern, it is something that we always recommend to do when the NUC shows an specific problem, specially when you are using Windows® 10, since the NUC was created before Windows® 10 was released.

As a last thing to do, you can always try to re-install Windows from scratch, to make sure the installation process was done properly.

Additionally just to let you know, the NUC has 3 years of warranty with Intel® directly, in case there is a hardware problem we can replace it for you, or, you can always check with the place of purchase to find out what is the warranty policy with them.

Alberto

• 4. Re: Voice Recognition not working on Nuc i5-5250U with Windows 10
                Intel Corporation

Hello jakmi:

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if the problem related to the voice recognition got fixed or if it still persists?

Alberto

• 5. Re: Voice Recognition not working on Nuc i5-5250U with Windows 10
                  jakmi

Hi Alberto,

Apparently the problem had to do with either a setting I had changed, or even possibly an update from Windows 10. The only way I finally resolved it was to 'Restore' my computer to a date before I experienced the glitch. Don't know the exact 'cause' or explanation, but that was definitely the 'cure'. I apologize for not responding sooner! I appreciate your efforts to help.

Best Regards,

Judy

• 6. Re: Voice Recognition not working on Nuc i5-5250U with Windows 10
                    Intel Corporation

Hello jakmi:

Thank you very much for providing that information, it is actually very helpful for us in case we get a similar situation, and also it will be useful for all the peers on this thread.

It is great to hear that the voice recognition feature is working fine again.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto