6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2016 9:47 AM by Intel Corporation

Regarding the headphone jack on front panel of NUC

TicoJohn

I am wondering about using the 3.5mm jack on the front of the NUC to connect to the speaker input on my monitor. I currently use a 3 terminal style cable for that purpose (from the PC stereo OUT to the monitor IN). Since the jack on the NUC is for speaker and microphone, I presume that the cable I currently use (a 3 terminal style jack) would likely cause the microphone input to be grounded. What problems might this cause for the NUC?

• 1. Re: Regarding the headphone jack on front panel of NUC
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, TicoJohn:

Just like any device grounding can cause a lot of different seen and unseen issues, in your case you can loose functions and performance of your NUC which is a direct result of loss of proper grounding. If the NUC cannot get the proper flow of electricity that it will not perform as expected and at the end it might damage the unit and its components. Have you experienced any issue using the terminal in your NUC?

Regards,

Amy.

• 2. Re: Regarding the headphone jack on front panel of NUC
            TicoJohn

Amy, thanks for your response.  First, I have not used the audio jack on the front of the NUC as I wanted some clarification. I think the question may be a bit different than the typical issues regarding grounding.  The audio jack on the NUC is a 4 terminal device. There is a left and right channel headphone (or maybe line) out, a microphone input and a ground terminal. If one were using a standard "headset", it would have a 4 terminal plug that would match those terminals in the NUC jack.

My question regards using a 3 terminal plug for headset only. In that case the ground and microphone input terminals of the NUC jack would be connected together thereby putting the microphone input at a ground potential (relative to the NUC's internal circuitry). So, before trying to use the NUC audio jack in that manner I really would like to get a definitive technical answer.

I fully understand ground, and ground loop issues, with hardware. I just want to know how the NUC's circuitry will respond to having the MIC input connected to ground (the NUC internal ground).

It would be relatively easy to get a splitter that would then provide separate earphone and microphone jacks, but then the microphone input would be floating which would then generate a noise on the MIC input.  If I had to guess, I would say that then nothing is plugged in to the NUC audio jack, that the MIC input is grounded (thereby avoiding noise on that input.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Regarding the headphone jack on front panel of NUC
              Intel Corporation

Are you referring to a 3 terminal plug like this one in the picture?  If not, can show me what you are referring to?

Image result for 3 terminal plug for headset only.

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: Regarding the headphone jack on front panel of NUC
                TicoJohn

Amy, yes I am referring to a 3.5mm 3 terminal plug as shown in your picture. That is commonly referred to as a TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) type plug. I assume that the jack on the front of the NUC is a TRRS (tip, ring, ring, sleeve) type connector. Now, if I plug the TRS plug into the TRRS jack it will cause the sleeve and second ring to be connected together which would effectively place the second ring at ground potential. Assuming that the NUC jack has a standard configuration, then the microphone input, which should be the second ring, would be grounded. The question is, will doing this have any adverse affect on the microphone input ?  My gut feeling is that the jack is configured such that without anything plugged in, the microphone is already at ground (in order to avoid noise on the mic input). But I could be wrong. Hopefully I have sufficiently explained myself. And thank you for your feedback.

• 5. Re: Regarding the headphone jack on front panel of NUC
                  Intel Corporation

"Assuming that the NUC jack has a standard configuration, then the microphone input, which should be the second ring, would be grounded."

That is correct the second ring is grounded.

"The question is, will doing this have any adverse affect on the microphone input?"

Not really, it should not affect microphone input; in fact, the second ring grounded is meant to avoid noises in the transmission of the data.

Regards,

Amy.

• 6. Re: Regarding the headphone jack on front panel of NUC
                    Intel Corporation

TicoJohn,

I wanted to check on your thread, and if there is something else I can help you with let me know.

Regards,

Amy.