7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2016 3:36 AM by hyper-lethal

Most Steam games on LInux (Xubuntu) crash on 6i7KYK, why?

hyper-lethal

Hi NUC community

This is my first NUC and I am very impressed, Linux runs great on the tiny device, it mounts to the back of my screen and has plenty of I/O ports.

However, I have one problem... Many Steam games keep crashing on me;
      Half Life 2
      Alien: Isolation
      Counterstrike: Global Offensive
      Life is Strange
      Portal 2
      Tomb Raider
      Metro: Last Light
      Team Fortress 2

I know these work on Windows, so what gives, are they poor ports?

I contacted Feral Interactive (responsible for porting many linux games including Alien: isolation and Life is strange, in an ongoing discussion the problem has not been rectified by refreshing steam files and verifying game cache.

Description of what happens when a game launches.
      The game normally loads, reaches the menu, however when a match or campaign is started everything lags terribly, the fan ramps up on the NUC and the game crashes.

• 1. Re: Most Steam games on LInux (Xubuntu) crash on 6i7KYK, why?
          Apachez

Which Xubuntu version do you use?

I would recommend you to use the latest 16.04.

Second... you could update the graphic drivers into the daily built drivers provided by Oibaf:

Updated and Optimized Open Graphics Drivers : Oibaf

At the above link you have instructions on how to switch to Oibaf "drivers" but also how to remove them in case you run into errors (shouldnt but happens from time to time, usually resolved the next few days if this happens - I have never had a completely meltdown, only smaller ones where some Steam games suddently wouldnt work).

Also this is what I use as launch options for my steam games in Ubuntu 16.04:

-console -novid -nojoy -high -window -noborder -threads 4 +cl_updaterate 128 +cl_cmdrate 128 +rate 128000 +cl_forcepreload 1 +fps_max 60 +r_dynamic 0

The main thing was r_dynamic set to 0 and using window instead of fullscreen (some steam games crashing when switching from fullscreen back to desktop and then back again, the crashes doesnt occur when you run the game in window mode (dont forget to set the game itself to window mode)).

• 2. Re: Most Steam games on LInux (Xubuntu) crash on 6i7KYK, why?
            hyper-lethal

Yes 16.04 with kernel 4.6.0

I'm trying to install the newer graphics driver, however editing the xorg.conf doesn't seem to be doing anything (not used to Ubuntu...).

I have tried using those launch options however most games still crash on the menu, CS:GO did run for a little while although it crashed when the bomb went off.

Thanks for your help so far, I'll look into this xorg.conf and enabling the newer graphics drivers.

• 3. Re: Most Steam games on LInux (Xubuntu) crash on 6i7KYK, why?
              Apachez

This is the only modification I have done to the xorg settings (works with both original and Oibaf drivers):

1) Create (if you dont already have the file):

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

2) Edit the above file so it contains:

Section "Device"

Identifier "Intel Graphics"

Driver "intel"

# Option "SwapbuffersWait" "true"

Option "AccelMethod" "SNA"

# Option "AccelMethod" "UXA"

Option "TearFree" "true"

Option "DRI" "3"

EndSection

This will enable SNA and DRI3 if it didnt already by default (there might be other accelmethods for your cpu/gpu so check some docs of your choices, if I recall it correctly SNA is older than Haswell series but it was in Haswell which it started to work without flaws).

I have left the commented lines for reference.

To verify the above after you have created the file and rebooted you can take a look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If the above settings works you should see lines such as (in my case its a Intel NUC D54250WYK (Haswell)):

[     3.989] (**) intel(0): TearFree enabled

[     3.991] (II) intel(0): SNA initialized with Haswell (gen7.5, gt3) backend

[     3.992] (II) intel(0): direct rendering: DRI2 DRI3 enabled

• 4. Re: Most Steam games on LInux (Xubuntu) crash on 6i7KYK, why?
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Excellent information from @Apachez, I hope you will find that very useful. 

Allan. 

• 5. Re: Most Steam games on LInux (Xubuntu) crash on 6i7KYK, why?
                  hyper-lethal

Thanks Apachez,

However all my games still crash, no noticeable difference.

Attached is my log for xorg.

• 6. Re: Most Steam games on LInux (Xubuntu) crash on 6i7KYK, why?
                    Apachez

I have looked through your Xorg.0.log and compared it to mine and noticed some differences:

Your kernel seems to be newer but compiled at later date than the official Ubuntu 16.04 kernel. I would try to switch back to the original kernel:

Mine:

[     4.166] Current Operating System: Linux nuc 4.4.0-31-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 13 00:07:12 UTC 2016 x86_64

Yours:

[     5.693] Current Operating System: Linux skullcanyon 4.6.0-040600-generic #201606100558 SMP Fri Jun 10 10:01:15 UTC 2016 x86_64

You seem to have failed to install the Oibaf drivers:

Mine:

[     4.179] (II) intel(0): Using Kernel Mode Setting driver: i915, version 1.6.0 20151010

[     4.179] (II) intel(0): SNA compiled: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.917+git1607291931.49daf5~gd~x (Oibaf <fmrummey@gmail.com>)

Yours:

[     5.706] (II) intel(0): Using Kernel Mode Setting driver: i915, version 1.6.0 20160229

[     5.706] (II) intel(0): SNA compiled: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.917+git20160325-1ubuntu1 (Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton@debian.org>)

Your hardware is an engineering sample?

Mine:

*none*

Yours:

[     5.707] (--) intel(0): gen9 engineering sample

Your log (at the end) also got this which I havent seen in my logs:

Mine:

*none*

Yours:

(EE) [mi] EQ overflowing.  Additional events will be discarded until existing events are processed.

*followed by some "backtrace" information*

The quickfix would be to properly install the Oibaf drivers and go back to Ubuntu official kernel.

If this doesnt work I would try to completely start over by installing 16.04 from iso, download and install steam from www.steampowered.com and use the suggested launch options and see how things works out.

You could also try to update bios and reset bios to default settings (might change the allocated RAM for graphics to largest possible 1GB).

And then try to install Oibaf drivers (and verify with Xorg.0.log that they are really used) followed by the suggested 20-intel.conf.

• 7. Re: Most Steam games on LInux (Xubuntu) crash on 6i7KYK, why?
                      hyper-lethal

Thanks Apachez
                      My 6i7KYK shouldn't be an engineering sample I bought it through pccaseger.com, it should be a retail model?
                      Oddly my system shows my NUC is 6i7KYB though.

Thanks for your help, Oilbaf drivers are necessary for proper iris pro 580 acceleration it seems, I also reinstalled steam from steampowered.com as suggested.
                      Bios was already up to date and 1GB memory allocated.