8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 7:45 PM by Intel Corporation

Missing Front Panel Header?

Digimation

I have seen some discussion on this topic but not a definitive answer.

We need access to the front panel header on a NUC6i3SYK in order to add an external power switch.  It appears that a recent update to the Technical Product Specification dated this month (July 2016), shows the presence of a populated front panel header (http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC6i5SYB_NUC6i3SYB_TechProdSpec.pdf ) on page 39, however other people have mentioned that the header is missing.

When I opened up my NUC6i3SYK, I found that the header is not present - or perhaps it would be accurate to say that the header is there but not populated.  Soldering wires to the motherboard opens up a can of worms so that is not a solution. 

I purchased this NUC in February 2016; before the update to the tech spec, so I'm wondering if new 6i3SYK's have the populated header.

Can someone solve the mystery here?  I just want to know with some certainty if i purchase a NUC6i3SYK today, will it have a populated front panel header.

Thanks a bunch,

David

front-panel.jpg

• 1. Re: Missing Front Panel Header?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello Digimation:

The reason why the front panel header is not populated is because the Intel® NUC6i3SYK NUC, is available only as a kit, some NUC’s are available for you to purchase them as a kit or just the motherboard itself, those are the ones that will have the front panel populated, the ones sold as a kit will not have that, so regardless of the NUC version or revision for this specific model the front panel will not be populated.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: Missing Front Panel Header?
            Digimation

Hi Alberto,

Just prior to your response, I received the following from someone at Intel;

>>

You are correct in that the front panel header has just recently been populated.  Thus it is slowly being sent out to all the warehouses.  What I recommend you do is when you order is to make sure you let your distributor know that you want the units directly from the Intel warehouse and that they need to be SA# 87089-504 or greater.

<<

This seems to contradict your answer.  I am working with a couple of vendors now to find out who has new stock. When I get one, I'll post my results.

Thanks,

David

• 3. Re: Missing Front Panel Header?
              Intel Corporation

Hello Digimation:

Thank you very much for that information.

The information I gave you before is what we have in our archives, in regard to the front panel not being populated.

In order for us to follow up on this situation could you please provide the name of the person that gave you those details, or a phone number or a link, so we can check on that?

Alberto

• 4. Re: Missing Front Panel Header?
                Digimation

Hi Alberto,

I receive a private email from cvare (that's the only name they used).  They suggested that I check with my distributor to find out if they have NUCs in stock with SA# 87089-504 or greater, but that is proving difficult.  I've talked to multiple people at NewEgg and Amazon, but so far they have been unable to help.  I'm still trying and will update this thread when I have new info.  In the meantime if anyone has any experience finding an updated NUC6i3SYK with front panel headers installed, I'd love to know about it.

David

• 5. Re: Missing Front Panel Header?
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Digimation:

Thank you very much for that information.

Based on that, we will do a research on this case, in order to confirm the information provided by cvare.

As soon as I get any updates about this situation, I will post all the details on this thread.

Alberto

• 6. Re: Missing Front Panel Header?
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Digimation:

I just wanted to let you know that I sent you a private message, please let me know if you receive it.

Alberto

• 7. Re: Missing Front Panel Header?
                      Digimation

Hi Alberto,

I tried to respond to your private message, but it bounced.  What is the best way to reply?

Thanks,

DavidDigimation

• 8. Re: Missing Front Panel Header?
                        Intel Corporation

Hello Digimation:

Please try again, I just sent you a private message, try to reply from that one.

Alberto