3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 5:36 PM by Intel Corporation

Reg: Multi device support

srujani

Hi Everyone..

I have made a custom kernel and made changes.I have two sensors whose device address 19(LIS2DH12) and 5F(HTS221).I want to configure both sensors on the same i2c bus.I am using i2c-6 bus.When I have integrated both sensors on the breadboard, I have got the device address but the thing is sometimes I get correctly and some times not.

Can I know how to configure multi device support on the edison board?

Will the edison support multi devices?

Is that we have to make any changes during customization??

Thanks

Srujani

2_sensor images.pngcustom_kernel_i2c_changes.png

• 1. Re: Reg: Multi device support
          IoT_srinivas

Hi  Intel Support Team,

I was also getting same issue.do we need to add any pull ups externally. I am using 3.3V on board for sensors and external power supply 12V/2A.

I was enable the pull-ups on boards.( Intel Edison Arduino expansion board).

echo 28 > /sys/class/gpio/export | echo 27 > /sys/class/gpio/export echo 204 > /sys/class/gpio/export | echo 205 > /sys/class/gpio/export |

echo 236 > /sys/class/gpio/export | echo 237 > /sys/class/gpio/export | echo 14 > /sys/class/gpio/export  |   echo 165 > /sys/class/gpio/export |

echo 212 > /sys/class/gpio/export | echo 213 > /sys/class/gpio/export  | echo 214 > /sys/class/gpio/export
            echo low > /sys/class/gpio/gpio214/direction | echo low > /sys/class/gpio/gpio204/direction |   echo low > /sys/class/gpio/gpio205/direction |

echo in > /sys/class/gpio/gpio14/direction| echo in > /sys/class/gpio/gpio165/direction |   echo low > /sys/class/gpio/gpio236/direction|

echo low > /sys/class/gpio/gpio237/direction| echo in > /sys/class/gpio/gpio212/direction | echo in > /sys/class/gpio/gpio213/direction |

echo mode1 > /sys/kernel/debug/gpio_debug/gpio28/current_pinmux | echo mode1 > /sys/kernel/debug/gpio_debug/gpio27/current_pinmux | echo high > /sys/class/gpio/gpio214/direction

please let me know ,can we connect multiple sensor  on Edison board at same time ?

• 2. Re: Reg: Multi device support
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Srujani,

You mentioned that you have made some changes to your kernel, are these changes related to I2C? If so, could you please let us know what changes you made?
            Now, you also mentioned that sometimes when detecting the I2C devices you get the correct result but sometimes you don’t:

• Is this happening randomly or is it related to any change you made in the circuit or the program while detecting them?
            • Have you tried to use them separately to make sure they work?
            Also, when using multiple devices you need to add pull up resistors, just like it was done in this thread https://communities.intel.com/thread/59671.

Regards,
            -Pablo
            • 3. Re: Reg: Multi device support
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Srujani, 

Do you have updates on this case? 

Regards, 
              -Pablo