1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2017 6:49 PM by whiteskull

D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64

Erich2145

With the D2000 plugged into my machine I installed the ISSM. No errors were reported by the ISSM installation process.  Windows finds the USB driver however has a problem connecting to the D2000. The Windows Device Manager lists the D2000 as: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).  The D2000 device status is a code 43, “A request for the USB device descriptor failed”. I tried forcing a reinstallation of the other USB device drivers on my system with no success. It appears the USB driver is only installed by the ISSM. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ISSM more than once with no success. I think it would help if Intel would have supplied separate code to install and reinstall the USB driver and a process to remove all traces (registry, files, directories, etc) of the ISSM would also be helpful. 

On a second Windows 10 x64 system, after I went through the installation process, the USB connection to the D2000 was made, however the BIOS would not load and had the following error: libusb_open() failed with LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED, error: no device found. This would suggest that either the installation process installed the wrong USB driver or the board is bad. I guess it might be a jumper issue however the jumpers appear to be correct.

I use my machines for many things and can not dedicate a machine to the D2000 development process. Any assistance would be helpful if I have over looked something or there is something I might do that doesn’t destroy my software environments.

• 1. Re: D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64
          MichelleC_Intel

There is a script that will re-install the USB driver provided in the ISSM installation path --  tools/debugger/driver/install.bat

Can you try running this.

• 2. Re: D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64
            Erich2145

I should have mentioned that I had tried Install.bat previously. However I tried it again with no luck. I am wondering if either USB installation process removes or overlays the previous driver modules if they happen to exist. It may be that something is being left behind. I am not aware of any previously installed devices that have a FT232HL chip or software. Does the D2000 use custom drivers or will the D2XX drivers from FTDI work? Thanks.

• 3. Re: D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64
              Erich2145

This is the log from Zadiag. It was not clear to me how a driver might be reinstalled using Zadiag.

Zadig 2.2.689

Windows 10 64-bit (Build 10586)

ini file 'zadig.ini' not found - default parameters will be used

default driver set to 'WinUSB'

0 devices found.

6 devices found.

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_0D3D&PID_0001&REV_0001&MI_00

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_03&SubClass_01&Prot_01

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 10.0.10586.420

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] HidUsb USB device (1): USB\VID_0D3D&PID_0001&MI_00\7&2F423287&0&0000

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'EP1 (Interface 0)'

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_047D&PID_1020&REV_0100

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_03&SubClass_01&Prot_02

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] HidUsb USB device (2): USB\VID_047D&PID_1020\6&14B00C3A&1&8

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'Kensington Expert Mouse'

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_0D3D&PID_0001&REV_0001&MI_01

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] HidUsb USB device (3): USB\VID_0D3D&PID_0001&MI_01\7&2F423287&0&0001

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'EP2 (Interface 1)'

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_0499&PID_150E&REV_0211

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_FF&SubClass_01&Prot_00

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 1.9.5.0

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] ysusb64 USB device (4): USB\VID_0499&PID_150E\6&14B00C3A&1&5

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'Steinberg UR44'

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 10.0.10586.0

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driverless USB device (7): USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&12EAC3BD&1&2

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)'

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_0499&PID_1000&REV_0100

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_FF&SubClass_00&Prot_FF

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 3.1.3.0

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] YMIDUSBW USB device (10): USB\VID_0499&PID_1000\6&14B00C3A&1&3

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver (WDM)'

Checking for Zadig updates...

Checking release channel...

No new release version found.

• 4. Re: D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64
                MichelleC_Intel

Hi ,

This is the correct Device Description that you should see in Zadig if the board is recognised... Was the Board showing up the same in Device Manager on BOTH Windows machines you tried ?

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_0403&PID_6014&REV_0900

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_FF&SubClass_FF&Prot_FF

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 2.12.16.0

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] FTDIBUS USB device (24): USB\VID_0403&PID_6014\160500849

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'D2000 MCU Dev Kit'

• 5. Re: D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64
                  Erich2145

It appears the USB driver loaded for my second machine. Its a newer machine with fewer USB devices. Zadiag log:

Zadig 2.2.689

Windows 10 64-bit (Build 10586)

ini file 'zadig.ini' not found - default parameters will be used

default driver set to 'WinUSB'

0 devices found.

4 devices found.

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_0D3D&PID_0001&REV_0001&MI_00

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_03&SubClass_01&Prot_01

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] HidUsb USB device (4): USB\VID_0D3D&PID_0001&MI_00\7&27524AE5&0&0000

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'EP1 (Interface 0)'

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_0403&PID_6014&REV_0900

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Compatible ID: USB\Class_FF&SubClass_FF&Prot_FF

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Driver version: 2.12.16.0

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] FTDIBUS USB device (5): USB\VID_0403&PID_6014\161505487

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'D2000 MCU Dev Kit'

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_0D3D&PID_0001&REV_0001&MI_01

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] HidUsb USB device (7): USB\VID_0D3D&PID_0001&MI_01\7&27524AE5&0&0001

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'EP2 (Interface 1)'

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Hardware ID: USB\VID_047D&PID_1022&REV_0400

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] HidUsb USB device (9): USB\VID_047D&PID_1022\6&182A12DA&0&6

libwdi:debug [wdi_create_list] Device description: 'Kensington USB/PS2 Orbit'

Checking for Zadig updates...

Checking release channel...

No new release version found.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem I was having with this newer machine is that the ROM won't load. The ISSM update target rom error message is:

Could not update the ROM. The start process failed.

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.8.0-dev-g7845893 (2015-11-26-18:12)

Licensed under GNU GPL v2

For bug reports, read

http://openocd.sourceforge.net/doc/doxygen/bugs.html

Info : only one transport option; autoselect 'jtag'

adapter speed: 1000 kHz

trst_only separate trst_push_pull

flash_rom

Error: libusb_open() failed with LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED

Error: no device found

Error: unable to open ftdi device with vid 0403, pid 6014, description '*' and serial '*'

Runtime Error: scripts/board/quark_d2000_onboard.cfg:139:

in procedure 'flash_rom'

in procedure 'init' called at file "scripts/board/quark_d2000_onboard.cfg", line 139

• 6. Re: D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64
                    MichelleC_Intel

Can you verify the following :

1. Check what the device is showing as in Device Manager -- If it is either of the following it should be recognised ok.

2. Run the install.bat

3. Ground Digital Pin 0 on the Board , Reset the Board & try flashing the ROM again.

--Michelle.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64
                      Erich2145

My second machine Device Manager did not list either of the entries you mentioned. I ran the Install.bat and also installed the INF files by hand(right click install). I grounded the pins listed as GND under the Power label on the board. Rebooted the machine. Plugged in the board and now my Device Manager reads your second entry: "Universal Serial Bus devices", "OpenOCD JTAG". I was able to flash the ROM. I have tried several things with my first machine which has an older motherboard and CPU with no luck. However if one of my machines works I will consider this discussion closed for now. It still seems to me that the driver installation process or the drivers themselves are not all that solid. Thanks for your time.

• 8. Re: D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64
                        MichelleC_Intel

Good news that you got it to work on one machine.

We are currently worrking towards impoved User Experience on our products so any feedback you have is welcome and will be passed on our development teams.

We have done a lot of work in this area on the ISSM installation process and general usability. The updated version of ISSM will be available very shortly - you should recievce an notification when it is available.

-- Michelle.

• 9. Re: D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64
                          ngaman

When I tried the install.bat I got this message

Install the OpenOCD JTAG driver? This may interfere with other FTDI devices! (y/n)

y

Installing Driver...

'dpinst-amd64.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

Finished!

Press any key to continue . . .

• 10. Re: D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64
                            ngaman

Looking at the above reply and I just realized - why the command dp-inst-amd64.exe? I have an Intel I5 processor. The drivers folder does not contain a similar executable for the Intel processor.  Could this be the cause of the problem?

• 11. Re: D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64
                              EdK@SDS

I had this same error, and found that it was due to a long, low quality USB cable.   Using the short, white USB cable provided with the D2000 solved the issue.

• 12. Re: D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64
                                ngaman

Nope,  tried a newer, shorter cable. I even tried plugging into a powered hub but to no avail.

Re my comment above about running install.bat. I had naturally assumed that I should run it as Administrator (which failed) so I ran it again not as Administrator, this time it announced success.

Sadly it didn't solve the problem.

• 13. Re: D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64
                                  ngaman

Finally success.

After uninstalling ISSW, reinstalling, changing cable, changing board, running install.bat a few times it eventually got there.

Having got it working I went back to the original board and it connected as a COM port, not jtag!

I naturally compared both boards, all the jumpers are the same. Seems we have a board quality problem.

• 14. Re: D2000 Device not recognized on Windows 10 x64
                                    cwds

I had exactly the same problem attempting to talk to a d2000 developer board on a couple of Win10 machines.  This form was helpful for acknowledging the problem exists but didn't really tell me how to fix it.

Windows would "helpfully" install the stock FTDI driver, then annotate the USB board as a COMxx port on the machine.  Attempting to update or change the driver from within device manager came up with a few different errors.

The steps I took to fix this and install the OpenOCD JTAG driver properly on Win10, and allow other FTDI serial devices (from other development boards) to continue working was as follows:

1. Make sure you have the OpenOCD driver installed.  It should install automatically when you installed the Intel System Studio for Microcontrollers (aka Intel Eclipse).  If not, under C:\IntelSWTools\ISSM_2016.1.067\tools\debugger\driver run either 'install.bat' or 'dpinst-amd64.exe'
                                    2. Open up windows device manager.  One of many ways to do this is to open a file explorer window, right click on 'This PC', hit the 'Properties' item, hit the 'Device Manager' link in the top left side of the window.
                                    3. Plug in your Quark D2000 development board.  You should see a 'USB Serial Converter' show up under the 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' entry, and a new serial port (COMxx) under Ports (COM & LPT) entry.
                                    4. Double click on the USB serial controller to get it's dialog box to pop up.  Click on the driver tab (Should say Driver Provider: FTDI at the top), and hit the 'Uninstal' button at the bottom of the dialog box.  Click on "Delete the driver software for this device" checkbox in the dialog that follows.
                                    5. Unplug your Quark D2000 development board, then plug it back in a few moments later.
                                    6. Windows will hook this back up as a serial device again.  Go find the USB Serial Controller entry in Device Manager, clock on the 'Driver' tab, but this time press the 'Update Driver...' button.
                                    7. In the "How do you want to search for driver software?" dialog that comes up, press the second entry, "Browse my computer for driver software".
                                    8. In the "Browse for driver software on your computer" dialog that comes up, press the bottom entry "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
                                    9. In the "Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware" dialog that comes up, select (probably the top entry in the less) the "OpenOCD JTAG" entry.
                                    10. In Device Manager under "Universal Serial Bus Devices", you should now see an entry for "OpenOCD JTAG".
                                    11. Go ahead and plug in your other USB-UART FTDI based devices into your computer (probably a cable or similar you need to talk to the UART needed for debugging your newly working Intel D2000 board).  Windows should re-install the FTDI driver and properly enumerate a COM port for it.

If you think that this process is a PITA, the I challenge you to get a low-end Cypress CY8CKIT-049-42xx board up and running if you've never used anything from the Cypress ecosystem before.  From what I've been using as of late, that Cypress board takes the crown for a convoluted development set up for small low-end MCU boards.

Best of luck with your new 8mW 386/486 PC / Intel Quark D2000 development board.

CW.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                    1 2 Previous Next