3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 1:53 PM by allan_intel

BSOD (Inaccessible Boot Device) on system reboot after OS is upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and the Intel xHCI driver is uninstalled from the system

qp6091352

Hi,

the release notes for the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver 1.0.10.255 for Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family say:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/21129/eng/Intel(R)%20USB%203.0%20eXtensible%20Host%20Controller%20Driver%20-%20Release%…

3707386 - BSOD (Inaccessible Boot Device) might be seen on system reboot after OS is upgraded from Windows* 7 to Windows* 8 and the Intel® xHCI driver is uninstalled from the system. - Resolved in Release Rev:

1.0.5.235 (PV-HF5)

However, this issue still occurs when upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Could you please fix it?

Regards

• 1. Re: BSOD (Inaccessible Boot Device) on system reboot after OS is upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and the Intel xHCI driver is uninstalled from the system
          allan_intel

Please bear in mind that you have installed Windows® 10 and the USB drivers are already provided by the operating system maker. In other words, this is included on the operating system as part of the installation package. This is resolved with driver version 1.0.5.235, this driver was provided to Microsoft*.

Allan.

• 2. Re: BSOD (Inaccessible Boot Device) on system reboot after OS is upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and the Intel xHCI driver is uninstalled from the system
            qp6091352

allan_intel wrote:

Please bear in mind that you have installed Windows® 10 and the USB drivers are already provided by the operating system maker. In other words, this is included on the operating system as part of the installation package. This is resolved with driver version 1.0.5.235, this driver was provided to Microsoft*.

Allan.

Maybe I should explain a bit better:

I had Windows 7 installed on an Ivy Bridge machine and also had installed the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver 1.0.10.255 for Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family.

1.0.10.255 is the latest Intel USB 3.0 driver for Ivy Bridge PCs for Windows 7.

I've then upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

After the upgrade to Windows 10, Windows 10 is indeed using the new USB 3.0 driver from Microsoft and is no longer using the Intel 1.0.10.255 USB 3.0 Windows 7 driver.

So, that is fine, BUT:

The Intel 1.0.10.255 USB 3.0 Windows 7 driver is still listed under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, i.e. it's still installed.

When uninstalling it by clicking uninstall in the control panel, the uninstallation seems to work just fine. At the end of the uninstallation, the uninstaller asks for a reboot.

If you reboot, the PC will show a BSOD upon reboot saying "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" and the PC is stuck in a boot loop.

I was able to get the PC back up and running by restoring to a previous restore point.

I've then tried again to uninstall the Intel 1.0.10.255 USB 3.0 Windows 7 driver from the control panel and the PC again was showing the BSOD saying "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" upon reboot and was stuck in a boot loop again.

So, the issue is reproducible.

So, no, the issue obviously was not resolved with 1.0.5.235, at least not for when upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

The release notes only mention that it was solved for 1.0.5.235 when upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

But with 1.0.10.255 (which is even newer), it's still happening when upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

So, could you please either:

1. Tell me how one can uninstall the Intel 1.0.10.255 USB 3.0 Windows 7 driver from Windows 10 without getting stuck in a boot loop with a BSOD saying "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"?

And:

2. Release a new version of the Windows 7 driver which solves this issue also for when upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and not just for upgrades to Windows 8?

Regards

• 3. Re: BSOD (Inaccessible Boot Device) on system reboot after OS is upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and the Intel xHCI driver is uninstalled from the system
              allan_intel

I have been checking this thread and I would recommend waiting for new USB drivers at Drivers & Software

I do not have an estimate for new drivers but keep checking the download center page for future drivers.

Allan.