Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Exhausted all other possibilities. It must be the processor?

DKelz
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I recently built a new computer and it's been giving me a devilish time. I've put it through the ringer and have come to think that the issue must lay in the processor. What I'm dealing with is shown here:

• I7 6700K cpu
  • 4 GSKILL Ripjaw 16GB memory
  • EVGA Z170 Classified K mobo
  • Quadro K5000 gpu
  • 1000W EVGA P2 psi
  • Windows 10

The problem I'm having is that after installing the graphics card drivers I get driver errors that lead to a crash. After rebooting, the computer will begin to load windows (the Windows 10 dots spinning in a circle) but freezes before progressing to the login screen. The card works in another computer, and I also experience the same issue using a GTX680 that also works in my other setup. In additional troubleshooting, I tried using another Classified K motherboard, but this provided nothing new. The last thing I tried was installing the latest Intel graphics driver. While troubleshooting the motherboard as a possible issue, the EVGA support tech said there could be an issue with how the processor handles the graphics card. Is there something with it that could be the issue? I'm running out of ideas.

I should mention that the computer boots without issue in safe mode, but that's a moot point.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ppara5
Valued Contributor I

"I should mention that the computer boots without issue in safe mode, but that's a moot point."

Not hardly. Safe mode does not start many installed things, including device drivers. Your processor has on-chip graphics, so did you remove the video card and use Intel graphics? Did you replace the memory with a known-good stick?

0 Kudos
DKelz
Beginner

Thanks for the response. Everything does run fine without the video card, running the onboard graphics. I'm sorry I didn't originally mention that. I hadn't thought to try different memory as the computer runs fine with it (running with onboard graphics), but I can try the sticks from the other rig.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

More likely a compatibility problem with the graphics card, or driver for the card. Highly unlikely to be the processor.

Just my opinion.

Doc

0 Kudos
DKelz
Beginner

I don't think it's an issue with the card. I just remembered that I had a third card, a GTX650. I put it in, boot up the computer normally, go to Nvidia to install the drivers, and bang! The screen goes black. All three cards do the same thing. I just tried installing a much older driver for the card. ( 341) and while the screen still goes black as before, it still running alright. I can plug and unplug a usb drive and still hear the drivers load with new hardware.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, All:

Thank you for your comments.

DezK, the fact that you took the video card out of the motherboard and it worked with Intel® HD Graphics it just means that the processor is working fine. The issue does not seems to be related to the processor, I believe you might have compatibility problem with the graphics card and the motherboard. However, since you mentioned that issue persists with a different graphics card; it's possible that problem is related to the switchable graphics feature your motherboard has. In your BIOS configuration, what is the "Graphics Setting" you have? Is it set to auto? Can you set it to manual? Another thing, you might want to consider is updating your BIOS version to the latest.

Are you overclocking?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, DezK:

I would like to verify if you still have the inquiry about your processor mentioned above?

Please let us know :)

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

Sounds like your Graphics card drivers.

0 Kudos