6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 12:06 PM by Intel Corporation

Adding second SSD to NUC6i7kyk

JohnGallagher

I have a NUC6i7KYK that has a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (256GB) card.

All works fine.

Today I decided to add a second SSD (Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB)) to the machine.

On power up, it now doesn't see the original SSD and therefore cannot boot.

If I remove the new 512GB SSD, it works OK again.

Any suggestions ?

John

• 1. Re: Adding second SSD to NUC6i7kyk
          TechnoCaveman

John,

Hi. Like you my NUC is using a Samsung - 950 Pro M.2 512Gb PCIe as well.

So far no issues booting either Legacy or UEFI. Both times the SSD was in the far right slot, but that should not make a difference.

The NUC will boot in Legacy mode with Samsung in it. However, test it.  If you put just the Samsung SSD drive in the NUC, re start your NUC and go into BIOS by pressing F2 during startup, does it see the SSD ??

Allen

• 2. Re: Adding second SSD to NUC6i7kyk
            N.Scott.Pearson

John,

Inserting a second SSD should not cause any visualization issues with the original. What happens if you move the original SSD into the other slot? Does it too fail then? If it works, try putting the new SSD into the other slot and see if the same issue occurs.

Have you installed the latest available BIOS? If not, try this and see if it makes a difference (unlikely but worth trying).

You may have a bad slot - in which case, you likely will have to return the unit and get a replacement. Contact Intel Customer Support to discuss the issue and, if necessary, set up the RMA.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: Adding second SSD to NUC6i7kyk
              JohnGallagher

OK. I've done a bit of investigation.

For some reason it is fussy which slot the M2 cards are fitted into.

The machine works fine if I have the 256GB SSD in either slot (with the other slot empty).

If I have the 256GB card in the M2_B slot (nearest the side of the motherboard) and the 512GB card in M2_A, the machine does not recognise the 256GB card, and wont boot because there is no OS on the 512GB card.

If I swap the cards, the machine boots up & I can see both SSD cards.

No idea why this is the case, but its working :-)

• 4. Re: Adding second SSD to NUC6i7kyk
                JohnGallagher

Will check BIOS and update if there's a new one, but as I said below, its working now.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

• 5. Re: Adding second SSD to NUC6i7kyk
                  TechnoCaveman

John,

Hi. Wow. I hope someone form Intel will chime in on if having the SSDs in slots A, B  by size makes a difference. Should not - but ..... 

When I get home I would like to check "Boot order"

If I may ask - what make and model is the 256Gb SSD ??

Allen

• 6. Re: Adding second SSD to NUC6i7kyk
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello:

Thank you very much for all the information provided by all the peers on this thread.

To JohnGallagher:

It is great to hear that the NUC s working fine now.

However, I just wanted to let you all know that the NUC should recognize both SSD’s regardless of the M.2 slot where they are connected, it is not based on size, but on boot priority the SSD that contains the OS should be set as the first device in there, by doing that should work just fine.

Since now it is working fine, the BIOS update is not necessary, but in case you want to try it, here is the link to do the BIOS update using the F7 method:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005724.html

And here is the .BIO file that you need to do the update:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26087/BIOS-Update-KYSKLi70-86A-

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto