1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2016 5:41 PM by Intel Corporation

u-boot1 partition

grahn

Hi,

What is the purpose of the second u-boot partition, "u-boot1" (/dev/disk/by-partlabel/u-boot1 in Linux)?

Is it possible to load u-boot from this partition? And can it be used as a fallback in case the copy of u-boot on /dev/disk/by-partlabel/u-boot0 doesn't work?

Thank you

• 1. Re: u-boot1 partition
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Grahn,

The purpose of the Edison partitions was explained some time ago (https://communities.intel.com/thread/77357), this was the answer:
          “Edison Yocto's recipes generate two different U-Boot binaries. One is being used by xfstk-downloader while flashing the IFWI (u-boot.img), the other one is used to flash U-Boot from U-Boot (standard u-boot.bin). and those are the partitions u-boot0 and u-boot1. For each U-Boot binary there are environment variables that stored in partitions u-boot-env0 and u-boot-env1.
          The factory is also called rootfs is type ext4 and mounted as the root partition "/". The panic is a small partition of 25M and it can be used for the kernel panic logs. If the OS you are creating handle kernel panic differently then you can delete that partition.”

So, taking that into account I believe it wouldn’t be possible to load u-boot fomo this partition as it is executing a different task.

Regards,
          -Pablo

• 2. Re: u-boot1 partition
            grahn

Thanks for replying.

The reason for my question is because I would like to update the boot loader remotely. To do that safely, I wanted to change the edison to load u-boot off of u-boot1, then flash u-boot0 with the new bootloader. If the flash was successful, I could then switch the edison back to loading u-boot off of u-boot0 and flash u-boot1 with the new bootloader.

Was the original idea of having a u-boot1 partition to allow following back to it in case the boot loader on u-boot0 didn't work? Or was it to allow switching between loading u-boot off of either partition?

Otherwise I don't see the point of having the u-boot1 partition since it would do nothing more than hold a copy of u-boot0 but be more or less unusable during the boot process.

When you say u-boot1 is executing a different task, what task is that?

• 3. Re: u-boot1 partition
              Intel Corporation

Hi grahn,

This partition lets the Edison hook-up to the DFU utility and stops it from booting until the download and upload of the firmware has completed. You can go ahead and try it, however, we can’t specify or guarantee what would be the module’s behavior after this.

Regards,
              -Pablo

• 4. Re: u-boot1 partition
                grahn

I'm fairly certain that the u-boot1 partition is not used at all. u-boot gets loaded off of the u-boot0 partition. This can be verified by dding random data to the u-boot0 partition and seeing the Edison fail to boot.

If you look at the scripts that are used to flash the edison, particularly the sections in the scripts where u-boot is flashed, http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-intel-edison/tree/utils/flash/flashall.sh#n192 and http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-intel-edison/tree/utils/flash/flashall.bat#n111, the u-boot1 partition doesn't even get flashed. Hence why I don't think this partition is being used.

What I'm trying to figure out is why this partition was even put on the Edison. Was it meant to be used as a fallback in case the boot loader on the u-boot0 partition failed to load? And is there any way to make the Intel firmware load the boot loader off of the u-boot1 partition?

• 5. Re: u-boot1 partition
                  Intel Corporation

Hi grahn,

Thank you for letting us know of your tests. We will investigate this a little bit more and will get back to you soon. We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Regards,
                  -Pablo

• 6. Re: u-boot1 partition
                    Intel Corporation

Hi Grahn,

We deeply apologize for the delay in our reply, we just want to let you know that we already have some new information.
                    The partition was intended to be a backup of u-boot, but right now it is not being used, so yes, as you mentioned it was meant to be a fallback. However, it is currently not supported so we wouldn’t be able to say if it is possible to make the firmware load the boot loader off of the u-boot1 partition, you can try it yourself but we can’t guarantee it will work.

Regards,
                    -Pablo

• 7. Re: u-boot1 partition
                      grahn

Thank you, I would love to try this myself. Where can I find the source code for the firmware? Or maybe you can just e-mail it to me? If you need my email address, send me a PM.

• 8. Re: u-boot1 partition
                        Intel Corporation

Hi Grahn,

You’re welcome!
                        You can download the Board Support Packages here:
                        https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23197/Intel-Quark-SoC-X1000-Board-Support-Package-BSP-.
                        Let me know if everything you need is in there, I’ll be waiting for your reply.  

Regards,
                        -Pablo

• 9. Re: u-boot1 partition
                          grahn

Hi,

The link you sent me is a board support package for the wrong product.

I'm wondering where I can find the source code for the Intel FirmWare Interface (ifwi) for the edison. That is what first runs when the edison powers on and it loads u-boot from the u-boot0 partition. I cannot load u-boot from the u-boot1 partition without access to the ifwi source code.

Thank you

• 10. Re: u-boot1 partition
                            Intel Corporation

Hi Grahn,

I’m really sorry for the confusion. For some reason I thought this was a Galileo thread, that’s why I provided the Intel Quark SoC X1000 BSP.
                            All information related to the Edison u-boot is in this link https://github.com/01org/edison-u-boot. Hopefully this is what you’re looking for.

Regards,
                            -Pablo

• 11. Re: u-boot1 partition
                              grahn

That is not what I am looking for.

I'm wondering where I can find the source code for the Intel FirmWare Interface (ifwi) for the edison. That is what first runs when the edison powers on and what loads u-boot from the u-boot0 partition. I cannot load u-boot from the u-boot1 partition without access to the ifwi source code.

• 12. Re: u-boot1 partition
                                Intel Corporation

Hi Grahn,

I’ve been looking for the files you were looking for to edit the u-boot1 partition, however, there is no access for the Intel Firmware Interface (IFWI). I’m wondering if this project has something to do with your company’s project, is this the case?

Regards,
                                -Pablo

• 13. Re: u-boot1 partition
                                  Intel Corporation

Hi Grahn,

I would like to know if you checked the question in my previous reply (which you can see above). Is this something you need for a bigger project or something similar?

Regards,
                                  -Pablo

• 14. Re: u-boot1 partition
                                    grahn

Yes, this is for a commercial project.

I want a way to do a safe update of the bootloader and have the IFWI fall back to u-boot1 if something goes wrong.

Thank you

1 2 Previous Next