5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2016 1:43 PM by Intel Corporation

NUC 6i5SYH oily discharge from greenish heatsink(?) pad

wimcitdept

We have been testing 2 models of NUCs as a replacement for Dell end user workstations in our environment, and we have recently come across an odd issue.  The greenish colored pad attached to the 2.5" drive enclosure on the NUC6i5SYH is causing an oily film to appear on the m.2 drive it rests on.  Is this normal?  It apparently caused a Samsung 950 pro to fail in a unit we were testing in one of our labs.  Is anyone else seeing this oily film appear on their m.2 drives?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: NUC 6i5SYH oily discharge from greenish heatsink(?) pad
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello wimcitdept:

In regard to your question, no, that is not normal, the NUC should not discharge any type of material on the m.2 drive, this is the first time I received an inquiry related to that type of problem.

Based, on that, could you please provide high quality pictures of the NUC and the m.2 drive?

This is in order for us to be able to see how it looks like, and if there is any risk in damaging the m.2 drive and how much oil it has.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: NUC 6i5SYH oily discharge from greenish heatsink(?) pad
            Intel Corporation

Hello wimcitdept:

I just wanted to verify if you saw the information that was requested on the previous post?

That information will be useful for us to further assist you.

Alberto

• 3. Re: NUC 6i5SYH oily discharge from greenish heatsink(?) pad
              wimcitdept

Sorry about the delayed response.  Please find the requested images below.  This oily discharge is happening to all of the NUCs we've deployed, so far 30, and we've lost 4 samsung M.2 drives.  We cannot positively chalk the drive failures up to this oily residue being left by the greenish pads that rest on the drives, but we haven't seen this issue in other computers where we've deployed this drive.

Please note at the top of the image, the staining around the drive sticker.  It's actually wet at the very top.

IMG_1788.JPG

Again, please note at the top of the image, the staining around the drive sticker.  It's actually wet.

IMG_1789.JPG

Thanks,

WIMC IT Department

• 4. Re: NUC 6i5SYH oily discharge from greenish heatsink(?) pad
                Intel Corporation

Hello wimcitdept:

No problem at all, thank you very much for providing the pictures, they will be really helpful for us, we appreciate the fact you took the time to provide them.

Now, what are going to do in start a research and investigation in order to try to find a possible resolution for this problem, specially based on the quantity of NUC’s that are having the same problem.

Did any of those 30 NUC’s got defective because of the oily discharge?

Once I get the results on our investigation, I will post all the details on this thread.

Alberto

• 5. Re: NUC 6i5SYH oily discharge from greenish heatsink(?) pad
                  Intel Corporation

Hello :

I just wanted to check if the information provided on this matter was useful for you and if you need further assistance with this problem?

Alberto