1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 2:07 PM by Intel Corporation

After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?

FloridaMike

I have a BOXD54250WYK which I purchased in May 2014. After a lighting strike close to our house, I lost my DVI port to my second monitor. I switched the monitors to make sure that the monitor still works OK. Therefore it must be the DVI port. I assume this port is on the motherboard. Can I replace the motherboard?

• 1. Re: After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?
          N.Scott.Pearson

Gee, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, you *are* inside the 3-year warranty that your NUC has. You could contact Intel Customer Support and (just) say your DP port has failed and you want a replacement.

If, because of your admittance here (doh!), you are not covered by warranty (or you have a conscience (I am having a little fun with this post)), you will have to purchase a replacement. Intel does sell some of the NUC motherboards separately, but the D54250WYB board is not in the list. You will need to purchase a complete kit and move your DIMMs and MSATA SSD (and/or SATA HDD) over to the new chassis.

Seriously, if the unit truly took a lightening hit without any protection, I would replace everything; this DP port failure may be only the tip of the iceberg. You should have insurance coverage for this replacement (I know my house insurance would cover it).

I would hope you place the replacement unit and everything attached to it behind a surge protector of some sort. I use UPS units myself to (also) ensure that I can do an orderly shutdown in situations like this...

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. If you are possibly thinking of upgrading at the same time, note that the DDR3L DIMMs that you have in this unit can be used in the NUC5i3RYH/NUC5i5RYH/NUC5i7RYH products, but these products do not support your MSATA SSD (you need one of *the newer M.2 SSDs). As for the NUC6i3SYH/NUC6i5SYH products, you need DDR4 DIMMs and M.2 SSD, so none of your existing hardware will be usable...

• 2. Re: After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?
            FloridaMike

Thank you, Scott, for your quick response. Just to let you know that the NUC was behind a UPS (APC Smart-UPS ES750) together with the cable modem and my router which also died on me. The NUC is still operating normally, except for the DVI port and the Ethernet port which are dead.

Meanwhile I ordered the same (old) NUC BOXD54250WYBH and intend to move all parts (Mem, SSD, HD and Wifi/Bluetooth) over to the new box. I hope it will boot. But I'm worried that the BIOS in the replacement box might be different from the BIOS I run on my crippled box.

Any advice would be appreciated as this is my first time I do such a heart transplant. Thank you.

Mike

• 3. Re: After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, All:

N.Scott.Pearson, thank you for your help.

FloridaMike, let me know how it goes with the heart transplant.

Regards,

Amy.

• 4. Re: After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?
                FloridaMike

Amy, is that all the support I get in regards to a different BIOS in the replacement box?

• 5. Re: After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?
                  N.Scott.Pearson

I am not sure what else you are expecting out of Amy. What BIOS is in the replacement unit is simply out of her control. It will depend upon the age of the unit (i.e. when it was manufactured and how long it sat in the supply chain and the store's inventory). If you really want to make sure everything is clean and consistent, you should update the BIOS to the latest version available before you ever connect your SSD to it...

...S

P.S. I do not adhere to the accord stating that you should only update the BIOS if it proves necessary. My take is that, unless someone is reporting that the latest available BIOS has an issue (that will definitely affect you), you should be running this latest BIOS. You should regular check Intel's Download Center for BIOS and driver updates. With regards to BIOS and Driver updates, under no circumstances should you expect or trust Microsoft's Windows Update service to keep you up to date; it definitely won't...

• 6. Re: After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?
                    FloridaMike

I intend to update my BIOS from current version 25 to the latest one which is 42. Question: Do my parameters in the BIOS - like AHCI - stay in place or do they get lost?

Thank you.

• 7. Re: After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?
                      Intel Corporation
                      This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello, All:

FloridaMike, let me apologize for my previous post, it seemed that you got everything figured it out and by mistake I forgot to mention that I was confirming with our warehouse about the BIOS version included in replacement units and they have replied back that unit does not come with the latest version, it comes with an older BIOS version. You can also take into consideration the previous reply from N.Scott.Pearson, especially updating your BIOS version that is if you really want to make sure everything is up-to-date.

In regard to your last reply:

"I intend to update my BIOS from current version 25 to the latest one which is 42. Question: Do my parameters in the BIOS - like AHCI - stay in place or do they get lost?

Thank you."

Yes, you will lose those parameters since the update will set everything to default.

N.Scott.Pearson, thank you for your comments.

Regards,

Amy.

• 8. Re: After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?
                        FloridaMike

Thanks you, Ami, for your response. I just updated my BIOS from version 25 to 42 and it finished OK. But now, if I hit F2, my screen goes black and the system does NOT enter the new BIOS anymore. Any idea how to get into BIOS now?

It seems that the AHCI parameter in "Chipset SATA Mode" is standard, because my system is booting into Windows perfectly without being in BIOS to set the "Chipset SATA Mode" to AHCI. Am I correct, please?

• 9. Re: After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?
                          FloridaMike

One more question:

Scott.Pearson recommended that I update the BIOS first on the new unit before I even install the SSD.

In order to do that, I assume that I need to put the memory chips in first, correct? And a monitor and keyboard?

And then, with the new BIOS on an USB stick, I hit F7 to update the BIOS.

As there is no SSD with the OS, how does the update process ends?

Thank you.

• 10. Re: After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?
                            N.Scott.Pearson

I will answer a couple of these questions...

First, regarding the affect of BIOS updates on BIOS configuration parameter settings, the BIOS attempts to retain the settings, but this is not always successful - or desired. If the BIOS update contains changes in the BIOS configuration - added parameters, removed parameters, modified default values, etc. - these changes will override the previous settings where differences exist. It is thus important that you at least review the settings after a BIOS update to ensure the settings are what you want (and expect) them to be. As a software engineer (now retired), I worked on many generations of these BIOS and on software that worked with and (amongst other things) allowed modification of the settings for these BIOS configuration parameters, I understand what can happen and I do what I can to ensure that I remain in control the process. This means that, after applying a BIOS update, I immediately go into BIOS setup and use F9 to reset all parameters to their default settings. I then work through the various sections and make the set of changes that my system architecture requires (i.e. boot order, SATA mode, etc.). This way, I control the process and yet get the benefits of the changes (hopefully improvements) that a particular BIOS release delivers.

If you go through the process of updating the BIOS before you install your SSD, what happens at the end of the update process depends upon the contents of your USB key. If the USB key contains an O/S and is formatted for boot, then this O/S will be booted (while booting from USB keys is optional, if it is the only boot destination available, it will still be booted automatically). If the USB key only contains the BIO file, then the system will halt with a message indicating that there is no boot device  - and this is why I always recommend that you reformat your USB key before using it for BIOS update or recovery. You can power down when you get to this message and proceed with the SSD installation...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 11. Re: After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?
                              FloridaMike

thank you Scott, that is exactly what I intended to do.

But as I wrote Amy in my previous message, after upgrading successfully to BIOS version 42 (from 25), F2 to get into my new BIOS does NOT work anymore (using an USB keyboard on the front USB ports). The screen stays dark. If I turn off my computer and turn it on again, it fortunately boot into windows as before.

How can I get into BIOS, please?

• 12. Re: After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?
                                N.Scott.Pearson

This can be caused by the enabling (even if accidentally) of Fast Boot.

Power off. Now, power back on, but hold the power button down for a full 3 seconds before releasing. If you time it right, you will see a menu that allows you to choose to enter BIOS setup (via the F2 key). If you hold it down for too long, however, the system will power back off (just try again in this case)...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 13. Re: After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?
                                  FloridaMike

Scott, I really appreciate that you support me on the weekend.

I followed your advice and turned off my system. I then held the power button for 3 seconds (even heard the 3 beeps on the audio port) but the monitor remained dark in stand-by. Fortunately I still can boot Windows but when F2, F7 or F10 comes up, my keyboard is unable to select one.

I then tried to downgrade my BIOS to the previous version I used before which is rev. 25. But the operation failed. Therefore I assume that I'm still with vers. 42 although there is no way to confirm my rev. level as I can't get into BIOS.

Meanwhile I got my replacement system, but I'm scared to move the parts over with this problem with BIOS. I do have a copy of BIOS 42 on an empty USB stick and would be ready for an upgrade of the new NUC, but if I end up not being able to get into the BIOS I don't know what to do. Any advice, please?

Thank you.

• 14. Re: After a lightning strike I lost my DVI display port. HDMI port is still working. Any help, please?
                                    FloridaMike

I got into BIOS vers. 42! I used my wireless keyboard instead of the USB keyboard and waited several minutes after hitting F2 and voila, I saw my BIOS. All parameters (AHCI) were carried over and my Windows booted.

Now the question: Does my replacement NUC need memory chips in order to upgrade the BIOS with F7?

Thank you.

1 2 Previous Next