8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 5:17 PM by Intel Corporation

RAM Speed Test

katdav

Just posting to share info.

NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon.  Windows 10.

I couldn't easily find 2133 RAM here when I got my NUC... so I picked up 2 16Gb G.Skill 2400

I ran Memtest yesterday and was getting a number of errors.

I got into the BIOS and slowed the RAM down to 2133.  1.33 x 16 down from 1.33 x 18.

No errors under Memtest.

However, I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic the other day... with RAM at 2400... and no errors.

• 1. Re: RAM Speed Test
          N.Scott.Pearson

IMHO, the Windows Memory Diagnostic is not an exhaustive diagnostic tool and I have seen it indicate a pass when bad memory is present. I would rely on packages like MemTest86+ for a more-exhaustive diagnostic...

...S

• 2. Re: RAM Speed Test
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello:

Thank you very much to N.Scott.Pearson, for the comments above.

To katdav, In addition to those comments, remember that the Intel® NUC6i7KYK NUC works with Intel® i7-6770HQ processor, and the memory that is fully supported by that processor is DDR4-2133, LPDDR3-1866, DDR3L-1600, as you can confirm on the following link:

http://ark.intel.com/products/93341/Intel-Core-i7-6770HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

So, if you set the memory higher than 2133MHz, like in this case 2400MHz, errors are expected when you use a tool like MemTest86+.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 3. Re: RAM Speed Test
              katdav

Thanks Alberto,

Fully understood.  A use at your own risk scenario.

Without asking you to commit to anything... could I ask you to expand on "errors are expected when you use a tool like memTest86+" ?

Does that mean that errors are only expected when using a tool like MemTest86+... because it's hammering the memory?

Is that why the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool did not find any issues?  And lastly, does it mean that MemTest86+ may report errors... but... possibly... running the memory at 2400 might be ok?

Or does it mean that the processor supports the memory listed... and anything else is asking for trouble.

Is running 2400 ram at 2133 ok?  Or should I dump the 2400 and put in 2133?  Doesn't matter to me.

Thanks Alberto,

David

• 4. Re: RAM Speed Test
                N.Scott.Pearson

I am just saying that the Windows Memory Diagnostic is not infallible. Using a more-thorough test tool, like MemTest86+, is recommended.

While Intel does not warrant that memory above 2133 will work, within reason it should - but be aware that this can introduce noise and cause bit errors, some recoverable, some not. I run all of my NUCs at recommended speeds. Remember that (at least for these relatively small speed increases) the amount of memory you make available makes more of a performance difference than does the actual speed of this memory...

...S

• 5. Re: RAM Speed Test
                  katdav

Absolutely Scott... agreed fully.

To be completely safe... should I dump the 2400 (which is running at 2133) in favour of memory spec'ed at 2133?  Or does it matter?

I see no performance difference at all between 2400 and 2133.  The NUC boots instantly and is just simply fast at either memory speed setting.

• 6. Re: RAM Speed Test
                    N.Scott.Pearson

If the memory is testing cleanly at 2133, you should be ok continuing to use it. Make sure the BIOS memory configuration is set to manual (i.e. no XMP) so that it doesn't try to run it at 2400...

• 7. Re: RAM Speed Test
                      katdav

Good tip... I'll go and check that.  Cheers.

• 8. Re: RAM Speed Test
                        Intel Corporation
                        This message was posted by Intel Corporation on behalf of

Hello:

Thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson, for all the comments above, your information is always useful.

To katdav, I hope the NUC is now working properly with the memory RAM at 2133MHz.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto