5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2016 3:13 PM by Intel Corporation

Reg:Support for edison from yocto

srujani

Hi Everyone.

I want to customize /add some features and functionality to the kernel and BSP.

I want to build an image from yocto which supports the Intel Edison board. I used this link for using krogoth https://www.yoctoproject.org/downloads and used the command git clone -b krogoth git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky.git and after the clone has done i have gone through the directories of meta, meta-yocto to see the conf.

In the conf files I have seen the machine where I am unable to see the machine as edison. After cloning I have read the README.hardware where I could see that it is supported only for beaglebone and other boards but not Edison.

I can see that the emulator is supported for x86 (edison board) . Can I know weather this poky will supoport the edison board??

I am unable to download the source code but can follow the compilation steps. https://communities.intel.com/message/253475#253475

https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/593592 ,https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/593591

Thanks

Srujani

• 1. Re: Reg:Support for edison from yocto
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello srujani,

Even if the latest version of Yocto does support x86 architectures, it must be compatible with all the following documents in order to support Edison:

${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-intel-edison/meta-intel-arduino \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-intel-edison/meta-intel-edison-bsp \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-intel-edison/meta-intel-edison-distro \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-intel-iot-devkit \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-intel-iot-middleware \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-java \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-oic \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-openembedded/meta-filesystems \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-openembedded/meta-networking \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-openembedded/meta-oe \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-openembedded/meta-python \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-openembedded/meta-ruby \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-openembedded/meta-webserver \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-yocto \
            ${TOPDIR}/../poky/meta-yocto-bsp \

The Edison specific documents have not yet been implemented for krogoth and currently the latest version they support is Yocto 1.7.3 Dizzy.

-Peter.

• 2. Re: Reg:Support for edison from yocto
            srujani

Thanks Peter for your immediate reply.I have compiled the Yocto dizzy 1.7.3 but i could'nt find the steps to flash. and in the reference manual of yocto i could see that i can go with bitbake core image stato  Yocto Project Reference Manual can  u please provide the steps to flash and the referance manual for the flashing process.

Thanks

M.Stujani

• 3. Re: Reg:Support for edison from yocto
              Intel Corporation

If you have successfully built the image and ran the script ../poky/meta-intel-edison/utils/flash/postBuild.sh, you will find the resulting image in the directory …/build_edison/tmp/deploy/image.

The files there can flashed into your board with any of the flashing methods, like flashall.sh or Flash Tool Lite.

-Peter.

• 4. Re: Reg:Support for edison from yocto
                srujani

Thanks Peter,

The thing after the compilation has done I have files as the below.where I cannot find the meta-intel-edison and searched for the images at location poky/build/tmp/deploy/images/qemux86 where I have files called as

skakarla@PCSLAPTOP-004:~/dizzy_1.7.3/poky/build/tmp/deploy/images/qemux86$ ls

bzImage

bzImage--3.14.29+git0+6eddbf4787_f6aa7aaca8-r0-qemux86-20160718061805.bin

bzImage-qemux86.bin

core-image-minimal-initramfs-qemux86-20160718122222.rootfs.cpio.gz

core-image-minimal-initramfs-qemux86-20160718122222.rootfs.manifest

core-image-minimal-initramfs-qemux86.cpio.gz

core-image-minimal-initramfs-qemux86.manifest

core-image-sato-qemux86-20160718061805.rootfs.ext3

core-image-sato-qemux86-20160718061805.rootfs.manifest

core-image-sato-qemux86-20160718061805.rootfs.tar.bz2

core-image-sato-qemux86.ext3

core-image-sato-qemux86.manifest

core-image-sato-qemux86.tar.bz2

modules--3.14.29+git0+6eddbf4787_f6aa7aaca8-r0-qemux86-20160718061805

modules--3.14.29+git0+6eddbf4787_f6aa7aaca8-r0-qemux86-20160718061805.tgz

modules-qemux86

modules-qemux86.tgz

README_-_DO_NOT_DELETE_FILES_IN_THIS_DIRECTORY.txt

Then I have used the flash too lite and then tried to flash the image core-image-minimal-initramfs-qemux86.cpio.gz where I have got an error as there is no image to flash.

Can you please tell me where I have done the mistake.

Thanks

Srujani

• 5. Re: Reg:Support for edison from yocto
                  Intel Corporation

I believe you might have followed the instructions to build a vanilla Yocto build and therefore exclude the files required for Edison. I'd suggest you to follow the steps in http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005616.html.

Also, could you please let us know the steps you followed?

-Peter.