6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 6:56 PM by Intel Corporation

db75en no longer boots, blue me_state led

LeendeBraal

3 yr old machine, stopped overnight.

On the mobo is a blue led, that is lighting up when pressing the powerbutton, PS does not start, mobo does not start.

Checked the cmos-battery, is ok (3,15V), also i took it out and shortened contacts to erase cmos mem.

Removed memory, no beeps or any sign of life other then the blue led.

What can be the cause?

Gt

Leen

• 1. Re: db75en no longer boots, blue me_state led
          LeendeBraal

Oh, and I forgot to say that I also swapped the powersupply, did not work either.

Gt

Leen

• 2. Re: db75en no longer boots, blue me_state led
            N.Scott.Pearson

Hhmmm, the ME is starting up and retaining control. This can be an indicator for problems with its execution. From a hardware standpoint, this can occur if the ME has a problem accessing its firmware (which is stored in the flash IC with the BIOS firmware) or accessing system memory (i.e. a faulty DIMM or a problem with the processor's memory controllers - but this latter issue can't occur until after the processor is powered up and this doesn't seem to be the case). From a software (firmware) standpoint, It could also occur if the ME is in AMT lockdown (is this a provisioned machine?).

Shorting the contacts on the battery is not guaranteed to clear the CMOS memory. You need to unplug the system from the wall (i.e. fully remove A/C) and remove the CR2032 battery for 15 minutes (yes, it really can take this long to fully drain).

One thing to try is installing the latest BIOS using the recovery method. Instructions can be found here: Recovery BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® Desktop Boards. My additional input: (1) use USB 2.0 key (i.e. not USB 3.0), (2) use (black) USB 2.0 port on board's back panel (i.e. don't use front panel USB ports and don't use (blue) USB 3.0 ports or (yellow) charging ports) and (3) Reformat key (using FAT32) before placing .BIO file on it.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 3. Re: db75en no longer boots, blue me_state led
              LeendeBraal

Thanks for the explanation of what the blue led is for, beginning to get some insights now. Indeed, pressing the power button for 4 seconds powers off the led, like you can forcibly power off a machine.

This is not a provisioned machine, no. Just a small 2 people-office.

Took out the CR2032 for more than an hour, did not help.

Used USB2 stick in one of the black USB ports with nothing on in but a .BIO file, took away the cmos jumper, and applied power. Blue led came on, I have been waiting for 15 minutes or so, reseated the jumper, no go.

I'm beginning to think I have to consider this board dead, unless you have another idea?

• 4. Re: db75en no longer boots, blue me_state led
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello LeendeBraal:

Thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson for all the comments on this thread.

If the BIOS recovery is not working, in that case yes, it could be a problem with the board itself.

Same thing with the clear CMOS process.

Did you test it just with one memory stick and no hard driver, we should get a message on the display by doing that?

Did you test it with different memory sticks one at the time in all the RAM slots?

If there are no beeps when there is no RAM, that might indicate a problem with the board, since those beeps are related to the  board itself.

Do you have the option to swap parts, to test the processor on a different board, or the board with a different processor?

If you do not, maybe there is a PC repair store close to you where they might be able to do that for you.

That will be the best way to make sure.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 5. Re: db75en no longer boots, blue me_state led
                  LeendeBraal

I am quite familiar with PC hardware, yes.

Swapping components is the first thing I do. I do not have another board to test the CPU on.

There is no display, because the PS is not starting up, and therefore also other components do not get power (see the first paragraph of N. Scott Perason's comment). Problem is really in the firmware that at a certain moment has to signal the powersupply to give power.

I already decided to replace the board and CPU for newer types, and will rebuild the PC today.

Gt

Leen

• 6. Re: db75en no longer boots, blue me_state led
                    Intel Corporation
                    This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello LeendeBraal:

Thank you very much for that information.

Since you already tried different power supplies most of the times that indicates that the problem is related to a different component.

It is good to hear that you were able to replace the motherboard and processor and that you will rebuild the PC.

I hope that everything works properly and the PC works the best way possible.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto