8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2016 5:17 PM by Intel Corporation

Thermal Imaging Camera

FShiwani

Hi,

I'm currently working on a project involving an Intel Galileo Gen. 2. The purpose of the Galileo is to grab sensor data and upload them to a database and along with that to use a FLIR Lepton Thermal Imaging Module to grab a live video feed and stream it to a web page. I am having some concerns that the Galileo will not be powerful enough to do so and I am not even sure if the Lepton supports the Galileo fully, it supposedly does but after a lot of tweaking. My other option would be an Edison.

Also, I know the Edison has an option to output via HDMI to a display(like the RPi), is it possible to remote desktop into the Galileo and view the actual GUI desktop instead of the command line (I saw one person with a setup like that but I'd like more opinions).

Thanks.

Lepton - PureEngineering

• 1. Re: Thermal Imaging Camera
          FGT

Hi FShiwani,

Also, I know the Edison has an option to output via HDMI to a display(like the RPi)

I do no see anything related to HDMI in Edison information... At least in

Intel® Edison—One Tiny Module, Endless Possibility

there seems to be that no Edison "version" has HDMI output. Do you have more information on this?

is it possible to remote desktop into the Galileo and view the actual GUI desktop instead of the command line (I saw one person with a setup like that but I'd like more opinions).

Do you have any other detail on this?

BR,

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Thermal Imaging Camera
            FShiwani

Intel Edison Video Output External Display using Display Link - YouTube

Ah, it seems I have mistaken this for HDMI.

I'll clarify what I mean by remote desktop. With the raspberry pi it was possible to use TightVNC to access the desktop of the linux distro running on the Pi and using my computer's keyboard and mouse to access it(run programs, etc.), which was helpful in some situations. I don't think the Galileo has anything similar.

My main question is whether or not the Galileo gen.2 will be suitable to capture a frame from the thermal imaging camera linked above every 60 seconds or so and upload them to a site where it can be accessed by other devices, apps, etc. Along with that I need the galileo to be able to capture sensor values and upload them to a SQL database. I'm sure the Galileo can do the sensor value uploading and I have done some work on that too, however my main concern is that will the Galileo have enough horsepower? Also is the FLIR Lepton thermal imaging camera compatible with the Galileo?

This link may help you:

Interfacing Lepton thermal camera with Galileo

• 3. Re: Thermal Imaging Camera
              FGT

FShiwani wrote:

Intel Edison Video Output External Display using Display Link - YouTube

Ah, it seems I have mistaken this for HDMI.

Well... it is about an Edison board (not Galileo) with a custom-made kernel (which I don't know if it is maintained, not by Intel anyway).

I'll clarify what I mean by remote desktop. With the raspberry pi it was possible to use TightVNC to access the desktop of the linux distro running on the Pi and using my computer's keyboard and mouse to access it(run programs, etc.), which was helpful in some situations. I don't think the Galileo has anything similar.

I've not seen anything similar, indeed.

My main question is whether or not the Galileo gen.2 will be suitable to capture a frame from the thermal imaging camera linked above every 60 seconds or so and upload them to a site where it can be accessed by other devices, apps, etc. Along with that I need the galileo to be able to capture sensor values and upload them to a SQL database. I'm sure the Galileo can do the sensor value uploading and I have done some work on that too, however my main concern is that will the Galileo have enough horsepower? Also is the FLIR Lepton thermal imaging camera compatible with the Galileo?

This link may help you:

Interfacing Lepton thermal camera with Galileo

I did not find any report in that thread about whether the Intel Galileo is finally capable of handling the camera images... So I tend to think it was not possible... maybe too pessimistic... : )

About uploading an image to a site every minute, I think it would depend on Ethernet-Internet connectivity as well as camera resolution-bytes per image. I tend to think it is possible, I've not had problems with Ethernet performance... maybe too optimistic, just to balance a little bit... : )

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Thermal Imaging Camera
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi FShiwani,

Do you have updates on this? Have you tried anything so far?
                Just to add to your discussion, it might not be possible for the Galileo to handle the live video feed and stream it to a web page part. This has been tried before by some other users (with different project obviously but with similarities regarding the video streaming) and the results were not that positive. Both the Edison and Galileo were not developed with graphical purposes in mind, however, the Edison is better suited to handle this kind of task and it has been done before by multiple members of the Community. You can even find some tutorials on the web.

Regards,
                -Pablo

• 5. Re: Thermal Imaging Camera
                  FShiwani

Ah. I only received my Galileo a couple of days ago. I'm having some issues with it at the moment however they don't relate to this thread. The issue is that the FLIR Lepton thermal imaging camera only has full support for the RPi, I have noticed some Edison compatibility sometimes so I will look into it a bit more. Apologies for the delay in the reply.

• 6. Re: Thermal Imaging Camera
                    Intel Corporation

Hi, 

Do you have updates on this case?

Regards,
                    -Pablo

• 7. Re: Thermal Imaging Camera
                      FShiwani

I'm currently considering whether or not I should go ahead and purchase the Edison, there seems to be some support for the Edison for the FLIR Lepton camera. I need around a single frame every minute or so to be displayed on a desktop program/uploaded as a feed.

• 8. Re: Thermal Imaging Camera
                        Intel Corporation

Hi FShiwani, 

In fact, there are more resources about this FLIR Lepton Camera for Edison, so I believe getting an Edison would also be a good idea. However, you can also try to implement these guides/suggestions to your Galileo board. Hopefully you’ll get them working.
                        These are some of the resources I found:
                        https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-realsense-technology-in-combination-with-the-intel-edison-development-platform
                        https://communities.intel.com/thread/99815

Regards,
                        -Pablo