2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 6:10 PM by Intel Corporation

Kernel modules not building

CurtisR

Hi, I have been using the 3.0 image located at http://iotdk.intel.com/images/3.0/edison/ and it has been working well for me. I'm utilizing AlexT's repo to install ppp-generic and ppp-synctty kernel modules. But I would like to move to the 3.5 build as it utilizes node 4.x.x. I have gone through the process outlined in the BSP to set up my environment to build my own image, following guidance from the answer to this post Re: Customizing Kernel but using the iot-devkit-yp-poky-edison-20160606 download with the 3.10.98 kernel. A couple quick notes on building:

1. For anyone building 20160606,

#PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-qemu-native = " sdl" line 223

#PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-nativesdk-qemu = " sdl"

#ASSUME_PROVIDED += "libsdl-native"

this step does not need to be done or your build will error out on some java compile.

2. The postbuild script is broken. The links to the builddir are incorrect. I'm unsure if directories got changed, but I had to customize the script to get it to succeed. I added a builddir1 variable and set appropriate links to /build-edison/tmp/depoly/image, it was looking in /poky/tmp/depoly/image for some files. I can post my script if requested, I'm currently not on my build machine.

Now for my question, I added support for all ppp in my kernel config (under drivers -> networking -> ppp), even the ppp-synctty. When I execute my bitbake edison-image command I get no errors, but only find the ppp-generic.ipk in /build-edison/tmp/depoly/ipk/edison. There is no ppp-synctty.ipk module. I know that the module can be compiled because AlexT's repo contained it. I checked my kernel config file and all ppp setting are enabled:

CONFIG_PPP=m

CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=m

CONFIG_PPP_FILTER=y

CONFIG_PPP_MPPE=m

CONFIG_PPP_MULTILINK=y

CONFIG_PPP_PPPoE=m

CONFIG_PPP_OL2TP=m

CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=m

CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY=m

Any ideas as to why all the ppp modules do not build?

BTW, I have tried to just upgrade node and upm but the bindings to mraa and upm get messed up.

Thanks,

Curtis

• 1. Re: Kernel modules not building
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Curtis,

This is the first time I see this behavior when adding support in the kernel config, it’s strange that you’re not getting any error when bitbaking the image. Have you tried to do this on the previous images?
          Also, I was checking a thread where a user had some issues when loading signed kernel modules, and one of his replies said this:
          “Just thought I would let you know that a colleague helped me resolve the issue.
          Apparently, the yocto process compiles and creates the signed kernel modules and places them into a modules.tar.gz. However, during the flashall.sh process the signing and keys are stripped (don't know why). The solution was to overwrite (or add separately) the existing /lib/modules with the signed modules in the modules.tar.gz. If this is of interest to anyone, I can write another response and include more detailed information, but that is the general idea.”

This is the thread, https://communities.intel.com/thread/99136. This might not be your case, but you might find some useful tips or information in there.

Regards,
          -Pablo

• 2. Re: Kernel modules not building
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi Curtis, 

Do you have any updates on this case? 

Regards, 
            -Pablo