8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 7:24 PM by Intel Corporation

DX79si reboots before Bios

ccota112

Sooooooo.... The other night I tried playing with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and when I rebooted to accept the changes the PC entered into a boot loop. The PC functioned perfectly before I changed things using the utility. I tried removing the battery, disconnecting power, tried the back to bios button, tried the jumper and a mix of all the above. To my dismay... Nothing. PC enters a boot loop and the last code is either 67 or b7 or 6F or bF. There has got to be a way to clear the CMOS right? Please help...

oh I have an i7 3930k unlocked

2X16Gb Corsair RAM

DX79si MB

Nvidia GTS 450 graphics card

• 1. Re: DX79si reboots before Bios
          N.Scott.Pearson

First, let's talk about the POST codes you reported. These indicate issues are occurring while attempting to initialize/access bootable devices and/or their hardware interfaces (for example, the Chipset's SATA subsystem). Unfortunately, it is possible that the error occurred elsewhere but just happened to manifest while the boot devices were being initialized/accessed, so we cannot read that much into it.

Next, let's talk about XTU. XTU is an in-O/S facility. That is, it stores and applies its overclocking settings in the O/S environment, not in the pre-execution (BIOS) environment  Saying this another way, while the BIOS is running, the settings applied by XTU are not running. When we see someone do something in XTU and then their system no longer boots, it sometimes means that the setting applied actually caused damage in the system - and typically to one or more of the DIMMs. I am not trying to scare you but this is a possible reality.

OK, my suggestion is that you remove all of your extra DIMMs and try to boot with only a single DIMM installed. Rotate through all DIMMs and try them in different DIMM sockets. If you get the system booting with one DIMM and not another, you know you have a failed DIMM. You can similarly determine if you have failed sockets. This is tedious, I know, but necessary. I also recommend that, during this process, you disconnect or remove any additional devices - add-in boards (other than video), USB devices (other than keyboard/mouse), etc.

BTW, you clear the CMOS by unplugging the system from the wall and then removing the CR2032 battery from the board for a minimum of 15 minutes (yes, it actually can take this long for the CMOS to fully drain). I suggest that you do this and then power on with the Back-to-BIOS button engaged. This should get you into the BIOS running strictly using default settings and provide you with an opportunity to use F9 to reset the configuration to these same defaults...

Hope this helps,

...S

• 2. Re: DX79si reboots before Bios
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello:

Thank you very much to N. Scott Pearson for the recommendations provided.

To ccota112, the troubleshoot steps above is what we recommend to try in order to fix this problem.

Please let us know the results of trying just one memory stick, in all the memory slots and to reset the BIOS to defaults.

Once you do that, if the problem remains, the next thing to do will be to swap parts, if you have the option of course, in order to test the board with a different processor, or test the processor on a different board.

There might be a Repair PC store close to you, where they might be able to do that for you, to make sure what if the problem is the processor or the board.

Also, just to let you know, if you are planning to do overclocking, we recommend to get the Intel® tuning protection plan, since the overclocking is not cover under warranty, if the processor gets damage because of that, you will need that plan to replace it.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto   

• 3. Re: DX79si reboots before Bios
              ccota112

Hi,

Thank you both for answering...

So I followed all the steps provided here and on the support pages. I actually left the battery out of the PC for over 8 hours. Still the same results. Pulled the DIMMS, tried one at a time in each slot. Same results. I have a gut feeling using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility burnt the DIMMS. Im going to buy some tonight and install them. I just don't understand why I can't get the board to hit bios. I've never had this issue before on other PC's. It's really frustrating. I'm going to assume that since I left the battery out for so long that CMOS is clear and since I can't reach bios I'm now dealing with a hardware issue is that correct?

• 4. Re: DX79si reboots before Bios
                N.Scott.Pearson

I don't recommend purchasing DIMMS just yet; we haven't established that they are truly responsible. See if you can find one or two to borrow...

Yes, at this point, I am presuming a hardware failure of some sort...

...S

• 5. Re: DX79si reboots before Bios
                  Intel Corporation

Hello ccota112:

Thank you very much for that information.

At this point still could be the processor, board or memory RAM, it is not for sure yet that the problem is the memory RAM.

So, the option to look for a PC repair store close to you might be useful for you, because they might be able to test it with a different stick of RAM so you do not have to purchase a new one.

Same thing with the processor, in case there is a PC repair store close to you, they might be able to test the board with a different processor.

Please, let me know the results of trying a different memory stick, and if the issue was resolved by doing that.

Alberto

• 6. Re: DX79si reboots before Bios
                    ccota112

Hi all,

Thanks again for the support. I borrowed two sticks of RAM. Tried one, both, in all slots and combinations. No difference. With not sticks in the board beeps. When I disconnect the 8 pin ATX CPU power to board everything turns on and hangs at b0.

• 7. Re: DX79si reboots before Bios
                      Intel Corporation

Hello ccota112:

Thank you for letting us know the results of changing the memory RAM.

So, the next step is to find out if the problem is because of the processor or the board, and in order to find that out, the best thing to do will be to swap parts.

In this case the thing to do will be to use this same processor on a different board, or to use this same board with a different processor, if you have the option to do that of course.

If you do not have that option, then this type of problem is normally related to the board, so you can always try to replace it in order to fix the PC.

Alberto

• 8. Re: DX79si reboots before Bios
                        Intel Corporation

Hello ccota112:

I just wanted to check if the information submitted on the previous post was useful for you, and if the issue still persists or if it was fixed?

Alberto