9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 1:38 PM by Intel Corporation

Cannot install my Hub filter driver on intels USB 3.0 stack on Windows 7

ramanago

On Windows 7 machine we have intel USB 3.0 Hub driver iUSB3Hub. Now i need to install my Hub Filter driver for my usb 2.0 Hub device enumerated by intels USB3 stack as 'generic hub.

But I see it doesn't allow me to install it. Whereas on default Microsoft USB 2.0 stack i am able to install my Hub filter driver. Is this some kind of limitation on intel driver?

or i need to do something special in my driver.

Thanks

Ramanagouda

• 1. Re: Cannot install my Hub filter driver on intels USB 3.0 stack on Windows 7
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello ramanago:

In order to better assist you with this problem related to the USB 3.0 driver installation with your HUB, we just need to verify a few details:

What is the model of the processor?

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Please provide the model of the USB 3.0 Hub that you are using.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

• 2. Re: Cannot install my Hub filter driver on intels USB 3.0 stack on Windows 7
            ramanago

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for responding to my question.

My question is specific to Filter driver sitting on Hub Driver. My device is a USB 2.0 Hub device with custom features.

I am testing this driver on Dell laptop E6440 which has Intel motherboard.

Basically my driver should sit on top of intel's USB3 xHCI driver(iUSb3HUB) and filter my Hub Device.

The problem i am facing is i cannot load my filter driver on Intel's iUSB3Hub driver whereas i can do this on Microsoft driver.

So my question is do i need to handle something on filter drivers especially Hub filter on Intel driver differently.

Following are the Hardwarre IDs of Intel's Hub i.e. on my Laptop.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C31&SUBSYS_05BD1028&REV_04

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C31&SUBSYS_05BD1028

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C31&CC_0C0330

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C31&CC_0C03

What is the model of the processor?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300M CPU @ 2.60Ghz 2.60 GHz

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Dell Latitude E6440.

Regards,

Ramana

• 3. Re: Cannot install my Hub filter driver on intels USB 3.0 stack on Windows 7
              Intel Corporation

Hello ramanago:

In regard to your inquiry, according to our information there is no limitation on the Intel® driver for you to install the filter driver.

Remember that Windows® 7 does not support USB 3.0 native, so it could be the driver is not working properly maybe for compatibility reasons with the Dell Latitude E6440 laptop.

Also, it will be better if you check with Dell directly about this situation, maybe they have an specific driver to fix this problem, and also to check if this is a hardware limitation on the laptop.

From our side, there is no limitation for on the Intel® driver for you to use the Hub.

Also, if the HUB works with USB 2.0 why are you trying to use the USB 3.0 driver?

Do you know by any chance the specific model of the HUB, or do you have a link where we can check the specifications.

Alberto

• 4. Re: Cannot install my Hub filter driver on intels USB 3.0 stack on Windows 7
                Intel Corporation

Hello ramanago:

I just wanted to check if the information submitted on the previous post was useful for you, and if the problem was fixed or if it still persists?

Alberto

• 5. Re: Cannot install my Hub filter driver on intels USB 3.0 stack on Windows 7
                  ramanago

Thanks Alberto,

I am able to load filter driver on Intel's Hub driver (iUSB3Hub.sys) now. I had to change my Inf file to indicate lower driver as Intel's Hub driver (iUSB3Hub.sys) which was earlier UsbHub.sys from Microsoft.

But Now i see different problem, Though my driver is loaded on iUSB3Hub.sys as filter sucessfully and it correctly filters my Hub device whenever i connect my custom Hub device.

But I am not able to communicate to my device, If i send Vendor Specific USB commands it is being rejected by lower Intel's driver (iUSB3Hub.sys).

If i send WdfRequest from my driver when this request reaches intel's Hub driver i.e. iUSB3Hub.sys it is not processing the request and it is rejecting the URB packet packed within WdfRequest.

Since most of our Windows 7 laptops support Intel's Chipset and have Intel's USB 3.0 drivers. fixing this problem is critical for us.

Thanks & Regards,

Ramana

• 6. Re: Cannot install my Hub filter driver on intels USB 3.0 stack on Windows 7
                    Intel Corporation

Hello ramanago:

In this case since you did a customization of the Intel® driver, some issues might be expected, and we cannot guarantee that will be fully operational.

So, please disconnect the hub and try the following driver without any customization, not sure if this is the one you tried:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25687/USB-3-0-Intel-USB-3-0-Device-Driver-for-Windows-7-

Once you install this driver, connect the hub and verify on device manager how it is showing, under USB controllers, to find out if it has a yellow question or exclamation mark.

What is the model of the hub?

Also, for testing purposes, try to use USB 2.0 to connect the hub, and again please check device manager to see how it is detected.

Also, what do you mean with filter driver, is that a special driver that came with the hub?

Alberto

• 7. Re: Cannot install my Hub filter driver on intels USB 3.0 stack on Windows 7
                      Intel Corporation

Hello ramanago:

I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously on this thread and if it was useful for you, and also if the problem was resolved or if it still persists?

Alberto

• 8. Re: Cannot install my Hub filter driver on intels USB 3.0 stack on Windows 7
                        ramanago

Thanks Alberto Your suggestions were useful My original issue is resolved.

Now i have a different issue to resolve which i guess may not be related to intel's USB driver. in case i confirm it is intel's driver issue i will ping you again.

Thanks once again for prompt responses and willingness to help.

I have one last query it is possible to dynamically switch to disable/enable intel's USB3Hub driver in windows by any control panel setting or any other method?

Thanks

Ramana

• 9. Re: Cannot install my Hub filter driver on intels USB 3.0 stack on Windows 7
                          Intel Corporation

Hello ramanago:

It is great to hear that the problem was resolved and the USB3 Hub is now working properly.

In regard to your inquiry, that is also a type of customization, and the thing is, that this type of customizations are out of our scope, so, basically we do not have any documentation or procedure about how to dynamically switch to disable/enable the USB3 Hub.

Let me apologize for that, but maybe some of the peers that viewed this thread might be able to further assist you with the information you are requesting.

Alberto