Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Applications can't find graphic card

pviei2
Beginner

Hi,

I have a intel 4600HD cant find a way to make any game to work under windows 10. (and some aplicactions like Bsplayer and fraps)

I always get errors like "no direct 3d device found", "no z buffer available" "no screen modes available".

i've done a windows 10 fresh install, removed all the drivers with DDU, installed the latest intel and i can't get this to work.

any ideas?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi

In regards to your graphics issue; please fill out our sticky note and attach pictures of the problem if it is possible. /thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
pviei2
Beginner

Hi,

I, will complete the missing information when i get home. thanks!

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

After a windows 10 fresh install i cant make most of the apps to run.

I get errors like "no direct 3d device found" and "no screen modes available"

i've noticed if i unistall the intel drivers i can make all the apps run with no problem!

so it's definitely an intel driver issue.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

clevo w650sj

<p style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; font-weight: inherit...
0 Kudos
pviei2
Beginner

Hi,

here is the table filled:

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

After a windows 10 fresh install i cant make most of the apps to run.

I get errors like "no direct 3d device found" and "no screen modes available"

i've noticed if i unistall the intel drivers i can make all the apps run with no problem!

so it's definitely an intel driver issue.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

clevo w650sj

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-width: 0px 1pt 1pt 0px; border-style: none solid solid none; border-right-...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi pedr0vieira,

Thank you for your update with your system configuration and troubleshooting. The latest graphics for HD4600 is version 4463; the version 4474 works on 5th and 6th gen Core processors only.

Version 4463

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26079/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26079/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496

I am sending you the APIs and features supported by 4th gen processors.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005524.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005524.html

If you want to play the latest games compatible with DirectX12, I suggest you to disable Intel graphics in BIOS and keep using only the Nvidia.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Mike C
0 Kudos
pviei2
Beginner

tried those drivers and the problem presists.

I dont want to play the latest games with this IGP, only games which are 12 years old! and video applications that used to run well under windows 8.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi pedr0vieira,

Laptops have customized drivers, if our generic driver is not working properly it will be necessary to use the last drivers provided by your pc manufacturer for Windows 10.

Mike C
0 Kudos
pviei2
Beginner

Hi,

The manufacturer drivers date back from 2014 (when the laptop was released), and they don't work with windows 10.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi pedr0vieira, I understand your frustration with games performance; however, these games were built according to Windows 8 and 8.1 so the performance with Windows 10 might decrease a little. Now, in regards to the latest drivers, from my side I can give you some steps to update Intel graphics driver manually. You will need to do the same with Nvidia driver.

Steps:

1-Download the zip file of the driver from downloadcenter, unzip and keep file in the desktop.

2-Turn Internet connection off

3-Go to device manager>Display Adapter, right click Intel HD graphics and select uninstall driver (check delete box)

4-Restart the computer

5-Go to device manager>Display Adapter, right click over Microsoft generic driver select Update driver, browse search for graphics folder at desktop (step 1)

6-Restart system and review graphics driver version installed from device manager or Graphics control Panel.

Mike C
0 Kudos
pviei2
Beginner

Hi Mike C,

I already done that a dozen times, the problem is the Intel driver itself.

It's not a question of poor performance, even applications that require screen modes arent working such as BSplayer. (Not working != poor performance)

As i said before, if I unistall the intel drivers disconnecting the internet, the applications work fine. (without any video drivers installed on the system)

as soon as i install the intel drivers these apps stop working! Something in the intel drivers is preventing these apps to launch! As they work fine if no driver is installed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi pedr0vieira,

I understand the issue; however, your pc requires a customized driver by your pc manufacturer, otherwise the generic Win10 driver will be the best option.

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi pedr0vieira,

I am following up on your case. Let me know if the new graphics driver improves your game's performance.

Mike C
0 Kudos